Wilfried Gnonto

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Wilfried Gnonto

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:49 pm Club will apparently ask fans to change the words to the Wilfried Gnonto chant

Kick it out have also criticised it.

Bloody snowflakes (according to some on here)
That song is really embarrassing, I'm sure Willy isn't impressed by it.

Would be great if our fans stopped singing that and the Saville stuff too.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

White Riot wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:04 pm That song is really embarrassing, I'm sure Willy isn't impressed by it.

Would be great if our fans stopped singing that and the Saville stuff too.
We have some superb fans as we know, but, unfortunately, like many other clubs, have our fair share of knobheads, those that still sing the munich stuff are the worst.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:10 pm We have some superb fans as we know, but, unfortunately, like many other clubs, have our fair share of knobheads, those that still sing the munich stuff are the worst.
Tbh I've sang the Munich song when I was young and daft and drunk, but no heed for it now.

Always seems like the opposition start it with Jimmy Saville he's one of your own and then our lot respond.

Better just ignoring it, it's embarrassing.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

White Riot wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:15 pm Tbh I've sang the Munich song when I was young and daft and drunk, but no heed for it now.

Always seems like the opposition start it with Jimmy Saville he's one of your own and then our lot respond.

Better just ignoring it, it's embarrassing.
Done it myself, I'm no angel either, had a oner with a lad about it in 1980, he was that much against it, Leeds fan as well, I won the fight but lost ,,,,if you know what I mean, I was young, but that incident made me realise a few things about humanity.
I'm still a piss-taker, but songs glorifying / celebrating death are not high on my list.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:22 pm Done it myself, I'm no angel either, had a oner with a lad about it in 1980, he was that much against it, Leeds fan as well, I won the fight but lost ,,,,if you know what I mean, I was young, but that incident made me realise a few things about humanity.
I'm still a piss-taker, but songs glorifying / celebrating death are not high on my list.
Yeah, we've all done some daft stuff MC.

I still cringe at some of the stuff I've done when I was younger mate :oops:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

White Riot wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:27 pm Yeah, we've all done some daft stuff MC.

I still cringe at some of the stuff I've done when I was younger mate :oops:
:clap: Me also pal, at least we can look back and sigh, or smile, or both, main thing is, we've grown up eh :duno: :shhh:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:30 pm :clap: Me also pal, at least we can look back and sigh, or smile, or both, main thing is, we've grown up eh :duno: :shhh:
Allegedly, but the Mrs doesn't seem to think so :lol:
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

Willy is pulling up trees at the moment.
Hard to believe he is 18.
Mentally he is way older.

Will make Orta look like a genius when his value does 10x
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Pullhard wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:35 am Willy is pulling up trees at the moment.

A constant menace, runs his little socks off right to end.

Still running at the Cardiff defence ragged in the 93rd minute to provide the equaliser.
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:44 am A constant menace, runs his little socks off right to end.

Still running at the Cardiff defence ragged in the 93rd minute to provide the equaliser.
And he was clobbered about the place. Just got up and kept smiling.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Gnonto gives me some hope for the season.

I just hope Wober has the same effect in the defensive side of our play.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

With this kid making massive waves, I wonder how much he will be worth come the end of the season if he keeps improving.
Absolute master stroke signing, he literally has everything. Reminds me of the Saka breakthrough at Arsenal.
I am in no way concerned that he will be leaving I just find his rise a thing of wonder.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I love his style, his general mindset is forward-thinking, running at the opposition causing mayhem.

A sheer joy to watch, his presence is well worth the gate-money.

A 19yo kid who is our best player.

Oh, for a team of Gnonto's 8-)
Cumbriarents
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Cumbriarents »

Pullhard wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:35 am Willy is pulling up trees at the moment.

I've read he only cost 3.8m, if it's true. It could be x 20 or 30 if Chelsea come calling
Zurich White
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Zurich White »

Cumbriarents wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:10 am I've read he only cost 3.8m, if it's true. It could be x 20 or 30 if Chelsea come calling
There's bonuses to be paid as well, if/when Leeds stay up, and games played, etc., so the final price will probably be nearer to £10m, but it's still a bargain.

If Chelsea come then the price for him will be well over 30m as well. Seems mental to say, but £30m today is peanuts!

Georginio Rutter from Hoffenheim for £35.5m is just mad money, and Gnonto is much better than him.
I've watched Hoffenheim a fair bit this season, as the Hoffenheim manager, Breitenreiter, was the FC Zürich Boss last season, and although I rate Rutter, I'd have Gnonto over him any day of the week.

re the song: Very unofficially, but I heard WIlly was/is OK with the lyrics.
Won't say any more, just thought I'd mention it.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Zurich White wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:02 am There's bonuses to be paid as well, if/when Leeds stay up, and games played, etc., so the final price will probably be nearer to £10m, but it's still a bargain.

If Chelsea come then the price for him will be well over 30m as well. Seems mental to say, but £30m today is peanuts!

Georginio Rutter from Hoffenheim for £35.5m is just mad money, and Gnonto is much better than him.
I've watched Hoffenheim a fair bit this season, as the Hoffenheim manager, Breitenreiter, was the FC Zürich Boss last season, and although I rate Rutter, I'd have Gnonto over him any day of the week.

You certainly knew your stuff on Gnonto, Zurich.
Seem to remember you saying we’d be in business if he sorted his head out. Think he has!
Interesting on Rutter. Seems a vast sum but fingers crossed. How do you see him fitting in to the team and what real qualities would he bring that we lack atm?
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

Zurich White wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:02 am There's bonuses to be paid as well, if/when Leeds stay up, and games played, etc., so the final price will probably be nearer to £10m, but it's still a bargain.

Could be the bargain of the decade :fire:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Great to hear from you again. You were spot on with your analysis of Gnonto.

I reckon Zurich will probably have a healthy sell on fee too maybe something like 10% to 20%.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Thanks for your sound information, Zurich :tup:
Zurich White
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Zurich White »

weasel wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:38 am Great to hear from you again. You were spot on with your analysis of Gnonto.

I reckon Zurich will probably have a healthy sell on fee too maybe something like 10% to 20%.
A lucky guess! ;-)

But really, my take on him when he came to Zurich from Inter was the same as most Leeds fans thought when he came here...

1) too small
2) why did Inter/Zurich let him go ( so cheaply ), if he's 'that good'
3) let's see what he does in the reserves this season

Of course, after seeing him 4 or 5 times, I knew he was the real deal.
This seems to be the same scenario with Leeds fans now.
He's had 4 or 5 games, and everyone can see he is top, top quality.

As for the sell-on fee, 'allegedly' it's 15%, from a 'source'.

I can't wait for tomorrow night now, should be a cracker.
So jealous I can't be there, will be watching though!
MOT