Mateo Joseph Fernandez

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Mateo Joseph Fernandez

Post by 1964white »

Still unsure if he's ready yet, a couple of poor touches let him down v Monaco, a young prospect though & still learning his apprenticeship.

Gnonto is at the front of the queue for me.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Spanish media says many clubs are interested in a permanent or loan deal.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:38 pm Spanish media says many clubs are interested in a permanent or loan deal.
He's not ready for 1st team. But we don't have enough cover if we let him go,
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

We haven’t seen enough of him yet. He looks like a good 6 yard box poacher and makes intelligent runs from what I have seen in the 23’s. I hope we hang onto him. I am sure he will get mins this season.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Mateo signs a new long term contract with the club, until 2028.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Love it ... Would have been interesting to have heard those discussions. I can't believe it would have been, sign a new contract Mateo and we'll make sure you'll either go on loan to Lg 1 or get as many U21 games as you like.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:13 pm Love it ... Would have been interesting to have heard those discussions. I can't believe it would have been, sign a new contract Mateo and we'll make sure you'll either go on loan to Lg 1 or get as many U21 games as you like.
:)

I’m pleased, I think he’s one that might make it in a year or two and he’s already getting cameos for the first team. Good business.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DF sees something in him then.

I like how he's handling stuff, like the Bate situ, he's not totally given up on him so send him out on loan, perhaps to develop a bit more in a lower league first team.

Late developers.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

There's also the juggling act of 'we're not guaranteed promotion' this year.

And not knowing what he'll have to work with next year.

And yes, i do think and hope he'll be here next year if not promoted.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Somewhat under the radar Mateo Joseph committed his future to Leeds United last Friday.

While everyone was talking about defensive needs in the transfer window and wondering how Archie Gray would handle Preston's Liam Millar, the 20-year-old striker signed a new deal until 2028.

Forty-eight hours later, there were no new faces but Gray and United had won, with Joseph joining the action as a substitute just in time to celebrate Joel Piroe's match-winning late penalty.

It was Joseph's 13th appearance, all from the bench since starting in EFL Cup defeat at Wolves last season. That was followed by appearing in the last throes of defeat under Jess Marsch in the Premier League at Spurs.

Shortly after that, while with the squad in Elche during the World Cup break, he said: "Training with the first team every day, having breakfast with them, gets you that confidence. Games like Tottenham, one of the best teams in the world, give you the confidence you want. Maybe you feel nervous but I was looking for it and wanting to make an impact."

However, opportunities for the Santander-born forward to do so have been scarce. In the midst of a relegation battle and managerial turmoil, he faded out of contention but now his diligence appears to be paying off.

An England under-20, international, with three goals in 10 appearances, he has bided his time and caught the eye of manager Daniel Farke. He is a squad regular now and, on Boxing Day came off the bench ahead of experienced team-mate Patrick Bamford.

Joseph's attitude appears exemplary. Asked about training with former team-mate Rodrigo Moreno, he revealed his desire to learn: " I'm not perfect in anything. I have to improve everything to be there in every detail. Be stronger, be quicker." Former Spain international Rodrigo taught him to "when a long ball is coming to bump in (to his opponent), have less touches in the box, things like that. Small details."

Farke clealy sees a path for a forward who has an English father of Antiugan descent and a Spanish mother. There is a family connection to former England striker Emile Heskey, just a part of his interesting backstory. He left home at 13 to play for Espanyol, before moving to England when 18.

"I am lucky that my father's family is from England and I have not had any complications with the language," he told Marca. He has settled well and it is testament to him that he has remained at Thorp Arch when a loan move may have appeared more attractive.

Farke told the media the new contract was "good news for Joseph and good news for us too", saying the player along with Gray and Ethan Ampadu "are the future of Leeds United".

"We love to have players who haven't achieved their peak yet," Farke added. "We are one hundred per cent they'll play a major role for us."

Joseph's patience is beginning to be rewarded.

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Great signing, we,ll need him anyway if we don’t get promoted, maybe loan him out if not, either way, the kid has potential and is getting experience of the bench, a bit like Joe.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The lad did well against a solid Plymouth defence.

Unlucky not to scored with shot that rattled the bar, some nice touches througout the game.

Still one for the future, imo!
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:08 am The lad did well against a solid Plymouth defence.

Unlucky not to scored with shot that rattled the bar, some nice touches througout the game.

I thought he had a decent game last night, showed bamford how to hold a ball up and not get bullied, also showed him how to close defenders down without running in an arc.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

He looked decent and did well last night, but not a starter for me any time soon. His work rate was very good but he lacks the instinct of good goal scorers to put himself in the right places. Willy put in a couple of good crosses last night and Joseph was standing watching the cross instead of predicting where it was going.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

He looked very promising and had a good game last night. Looks fast in areas too.
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

His build up of muscle has certainly helped to cope with the rigours of the championship. He did well and although he isn't going to displace Bamford just yet its nice to know there is another one we can count on.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

GreennWhite wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:37 am He looked decent and did well last night, but not a starter for me any time soon. His work rate was very good but he lacks the instinct of good goal scorers to put himself in the right places. Willy put in a couple of good crosses last night and Joseph was standing watching the cross instead of predicting where it was going.
Ian Wright is one who was very good at getting on the end of crosses. Can you teach it or is it natural instinct?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:45 am Ian Wright is one who was very good at getting on the end of crosses. Can you teach it or is it natural instinct?
For me quality finishers like Wright for example it is just natural instinct. Yes it can be taught to a certain extent but some players find it easier than others to make it work properly.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I thought starting him last night was good idea. He did ok for me, though he's still young and nowhere near the finished article.

Some players find it difficult to come on late in a game and make a difference (I'm excluding Jimmy from that category on last night's evidence). Paddy struggled to get involved, for instance.

Id like to see Joseph start more games before I make my mind up.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:08 am The lad did well against a solid Plymouth defence.

Also that one that was deflected wide was going in or hitting the post .... Unlucky not to have two last night, thought the movement good , loved the pass round the corner and probably got caught offside less than Paddy usually does
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"