Who do you hold responsible?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Who is to blame most of all?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:18 pm

Board/Ownership
64%
Victor Orta
10%
Jesse Marsch
23%
Players
3%

Total votes: 39

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Who do you hold responsible?

Post by Cjay »

For this season.

Simple as that really.

The board and ownership, so Andrea Radrizzani, 49ers Enterprises, Peter Lowy and Angus Kinnear.

The Director of Football Victor Orta who is ultimately responsible for the football side of the club including recruitment, philosophy and managerial choices.

The manager Jesse Marsch who is in charge of what goes on on the pitch.

Or the players who ultimately decide whether we win or loose.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Who do you hold responsible?

Post by The Subhuman »

Marsch and it's not close... Complete ineptitude
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

No one.

We simply don't have enough money to compete. Or to be more accurate, we don't pay high enough wages. Bielsa papered over that systemic flaw for a while, but we can't keep ignoring it. The owners talk about the Leicester model, there are players at Leicester who are paid multiples of the highest paid at Leeds.

It's a classic case of it is what it is. How do we blame peope for not spending enough of their money to satisfy us?
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Picking the Ownership. We haven't invested enough. We've relied on the old guard for too long - several of those players were below mid-table championship before Bielsa came along. Forest spent more in one summer than we did in three summers. If we want to stay in the premier league we have to invest on par with our rivals
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:40 pm Picking the Ownership. We haven't invested enough. We've relied on the old guard for too long - several of those players were below mid-table championship before Bielsa came along. Forest spent more in one summer than we did in three summers. If we want to stay in the premier league we have to invest on par with our rivals
This 100%. You can't survive season after season on the cheap. Burnley bucked the trend, but played dour football until it ran it's course.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

It is a combination of all those suggestions. The issues are too complex to point the finger at just one cause.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:58 pm It is a combination of all those suggestions. The issues are too complex to point the finger at just one cause.
I chose the board first. But I still believe Marsch should be getting more out of what he has. I believe he's had enough time in the job and failed to convince. I also believe that Orta could do better. I praise a lot of his choices. But he's got it wrong with so many big ones: Rodrigo, Llorente, JKA ...

But everyone makes mistakes. The board has to invest with that expectation. Angus said they can't afford any bad transfers. You have to budget for that because it's inevitable. Teams like Citeh see three holes and buy the best three players in the world. We'll never have that luxury and will always be taking more of a risk on signings. If we have three holes, we need to be signing 4 or 5 because it's inevitable, with the profile of player we're targeting, that some will fail. Laugh at Forest for siging 20-plus players when you can only play 11. But it shows much greater awareness. We signed 2 players last season but should have signed 5 or 6. Given that, the 5 we signed this season wasn't enough. We needed at least 2 more.

So, yes, it's the board for me. And if the board can't afford to invest more they should sell now.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:58 pm It is a combination of all those suggestions. The issues are too complex to point the finger at just one cause.
:tup:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:22 pm We signed 2 players last season but should have signed 5 or 6. Given that, the 5 we signed this season wasn't enough. We needed at least 2 more.

So, yes, it's the board for me. And if the board can't afford to invest more they should sell now.
Spot on. The effects of last season are what caused this mess. We gave ourselves too much to do this year, as we spent a year applauding ourselves for finishing 9th rather than add to the squad. £50m was spent, but half of it on a £5m player at best who we didn't need. That's not enough compared to how much the teams around us have spent. We're still about 4/5 players short, which makes a big difference at this level.

All the clubs around us are spending money and being funded by owners, and not selling players either. If you want to copy the Norwich model, then you end up relegated.
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

I picked Marsch as he is clearly out of his depth. He struggled at Leipzig, lord knows how he thought he could manage in the EPL. His tactical awareness and substitutions are awful. It's a very very steep learning curve and he is clearly not adapting to the EPL.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Without any doubt the board.

Our fans showed their resentment towards the board yesterday, I doubt the three stooges even recognised their faults & lack of premier league football integrity as they wallow in their greed.

A board that expect miracles from their managers.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Board, Orta, Marsch in that order. I personally think this squad of players is good enough for lower mid table, a little bit twitchy at times over the season, but not mired in a relegation scrap after 10 games. Marsch seems to be a nice guy, but he is out of his depth, unable or unwilling to see that his narrow system doesn't work and not tactically astute enough to change it. He needs to go and go now to give someone else the time to assess pre WC and to work on the squad during that break. If we persist with Marsch, we're going down.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Mountain wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:33 pm No one.

We simply don't have enough money to compete. Or to be more accurate, we don't pay high enough wages. Bielsa papered over that systemic flaw for a while, but we can't keep ignoring it. The owners talk about the Leicester model, there are players at Leicester who are paid multiples of the highest paid at Leeds.

It's a classic case of it is what it is. How do we blame peope for not spending enough of their money to satisfy us?
Why are Fulham, Brentford and Bournemouth doing so well then?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

After 60 years of attending Leeds games, I'll seriously have to consider whether I purchase a season-ticket when Kinnear comes begging for £400 or £500 in February.

I have other priorities that enjoy in my life I'd rather spend my money on, it's not as if I can't afford it, I just don't look forward to games anymore, this board has finally knocked the stuffing out of me as I approach 70yo in twenty months time,

After attending many championship/league 1 & 2/non-league grounds, I don't think I have the heart or energy to go through all that drabness again, sick of it to be honest.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

A mix of all four:

- orta with some poor signings
- players for mistakes on the pitch and just general below par performances
- board for not enough investment in key areas of the squad
- marsch for clearly imparting a tactical system on us which is not regularly working and being unable to adapt in games
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

The board first and foremost, it’s their fault we replaced an experienced world renowned coach with a novice, Bielsa leaving was required and inevitable but they should have made a better choice for replacement. It is also their fault Marsch is still here. the squad is good enough to stay up we have seen time and time again that clubs who change managers can see a dramatic turnaround in fortunes
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

danhirons wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:24 am Why are Fulham, Brentford and Bournemouth doing so well then?
So well? Fulham and Bournemouth are classic yo yo clubs, and who really expects Brentford to be in this division in a year or 2?

If anything, they prove exactly what I'm saying, you can blame managers, players, staff...but if you can't fire 150-200k pw at a player, your stay in the top flight won't last.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

danhirons wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:24 am Why are Fulham, Brentford and Bournemouth doing so well then?
Owners have pumped money in. Fulham has lost well over hundreds of millions the last few years, but the owner keeps pumping money in.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Mountain wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:36 am So well? Fulham and Bournemouth are classic yo yo clubs, and who really expects Brentford to be in this division in a year or 2?

If anything, they prove exactly what I'm saying, you can blame managers, players, staff...but if you can't fire 150-200k pw at a player, your stay in the top flight won't last.
well you're kind of predicting the future there a bit...

but if you want examples of teams who have stayed in the prem on a budget, then palace, saints, leicester, brighton must all have spent less or around the same as us on average - obviously I get your point that you need to spend to stay in the division but since we've got promoted we've spent a fair whack. this summer is disappointing since our net spend was essentially zero however...
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:25 am After 60 years of attending Leeds games, I'll seriously have to consider whether I purchase a season-ticket when Kinnear comes begging for £400 or £500 in February.

I have other priorities that enjoy in my life I'd rather spend my money on, it's not as if I can't afford it, I just don't look forward to games anymore, this board has finally knocked the stuffing out of me as I approach 70yo in twenty months time,

After attending many championship/league 1 & 2/non-league grounds, I don't think I have the heart or energy to go through all that drabness again, sick of it to be honest.
Sounds a good idea to me Leon. :tup: You deserve a break from these skint chancers. I've had enough also. Just want them gone and we can have a fresh start. Not even bothered anymore this season.