Cricket 2023/2024

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: England Cricket 2023

Post by Kennyb41 »

Absolutely made up Joe carried his bat and to see Robinson hit out for 58, Joe can be masterful holding it together whilst the others do their own thing, whatever that maybe. I hope it's a catalyst for Joe.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:37 pm Absolutely made up Joe carried his bat and to see Robinson hit out for 58, Joe can be masterful holding it together whilst the others do their own thing, whatever that maybe. I hope it's a catalyst for Joe.
Exactly the way it should be.

I went to bed at lunch and they were 1 down. Nice news to wake up to this morning.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I just don't get it. The end of the 2nd innings and we have Foakes and Bashir simply occupying the crease with neither looking to score. What is the point? Surely better to simply try and make a few quick runs and then have a few overs to bowl at India than do what they did. Bashir 1 run from 20 balls, yeah fine to have the tailender simply try to survive if you have someone like Stokes at the other end smashing runs but when Foakes isn't scoring then what is the point?

Sometimes we go away from playing Bazball and it makes absolutely no sense at all.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:42 am I just don't get it. The end of the 2nd innings and we have Foakes and Bashir simply occupying the crease with neither looking to score. What is the point? Surely better to simply try and make a few quick runs and then have a few overs to bowl at India than do what they did. Bashir 1 run from 20 balls, yeah fine to have the tailender simply try to survive if you have someone like Stokes at the other end smashing runs but when Foakes isn't scoring then what is the point?

Sometimes we go away from playing Bazball and it makes absolutely no sense at all.
I see where you're coming from, but we're not privy to how those particular 2 you mention wanted to play themselves, i'm all for just telling the player to just do wtf they're happy to do to get runs, I think Foakes knowing Bashir is terrible wanted to try and keep on strike. as much as possible, Imv India were just too good today in their conditions, nowt to do with Bazball, sometimes you've just gotta hand it to em.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

This wicket looks more like an English wicket than an Indian wicket. Ball is shooting around in the air and off the seam.

Both batters been lucky to get through the first hour.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Lunch was looking great until Pope went for a walk

Been a really good knock by Crawley. Rode his luck early as ball was shooting all over the place. But looked easier in the second hour.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I see we're doing great again :roll:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:13 am This wicket looks more like an English wicket than an Indian wicket. Ball is shooting around in the air and off the seam.

Both batters been lucky to get through the first hour.
Should suit Wood.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:33 am Should suit Wood.
Ps I can't call him Woody, it sounds like a bloody woodpecker.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Oh dear England........
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

England are just shite, no beating about the bush. That's what we are.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Overman wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:34 am England are just shite, no beating about the bush. That's what we are.
Exactly :poo:

India will post up a huge score here.

Innings defeat incoming :roll:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

England won toss and batted. Seemed like perfect time to watch. Was all good when Crawley was batting. At 4 down I went to bed. Realized i might miss something with Root and Stokes at the crease. So glad I did. What another awful collapse.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Bollocks

Been found wanting a bit here haven't we. Not going to say Bazball is dead. Like all good tactics, it needs to be tweaked. You have to have all players playing to their strengths. Can't knock Duckett for his lame dismissal. That's his character and it's why he was picked. But the way Pope got out, and Root a couple of times in this series has been plain silly. Pope and Root are two of the best batsmen in the world. Their wicket should never be a gift.

We can't survive on batters 5 through 7, chipping in with 20's and 30's. There needs to be a bit more steel in there too. Brook would probably have played. A natural attacker. But that does not at all excuse the lack of steel from our middle order.

The bowling attack has suffered through lack of experience. We have 3 spinners that have not played a lot of professional cricket. That makes it a huge shame that Leach got injured again. Our spinners are learning against the best batters against spin. And only Anderson has lived up to the task with seam. You can say India is not suited to seamers, but Bumrah does well. And Jimmy has had sme good moments too.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Bazball, more like Bezball. It's twisting my melon man.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Overman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:57 pm Bazball, more like Bezball. It's twisting my melon man.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:05 pm Image
😆👍
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:52 pm Bollocks

Been found wanting a bit here haven't we. Not going to say Bazball is dead. Like all good tactics, it needs to be tweaked. You have to have all players playing to their strengths. Can't knock Duckett for his lame dismissal. That's his character and it's why he was picked. But the way Pope got out, and Root a couple of times in this series has been plain silly. Pope and Root are two of the best batsmen in the world. Their wicket should never be a gift.

We can't survive on batters 5 through 7, chipping in with 20's and 30's. There needs to be a bit more steel in there too. Brook would probably have played. A natural attacker. But that does not at all excuse the lack of steel from our middle order.

The bowling attack has suffered through lack of experience. We have 3 spinners that have not played a lot of professional cricket. That makes it a huge shame that Leach got injured again. Our spinners are learning against the best batters against spin. And only Anderson has lived up to the task with seam. You can say India is not suited to seamers, but Bumrah does well. And Jimmy has had sme good moments too.
To me this is nothing to do with Bazball, which ever way we could've played we would've been beaten by a good Indian side away.

They have proved they are simply better than us.

If we played tippy tappy shyte they'd skittle us.

If we play Bazball, we'd probably have more runs but still got skittled

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:59 pm To me this is nothing to do with Bazball, which ever way we could've played we would've been beaten by a good Indian side away.

They have proved they are simply better than us.

If we played tippy tappy shyte they'd skittle us.

If we play Bazball, we'd probably have more runs but still got skittled
I think we could have fared a whole lot better. Can't knock the bowlers. They are who they are. But most of our batters should have scored more runs.

Crawleu and Duckett have been fine. Duckett is who he is. Simple. Crawley has matured. Starting to look a complete batter who can play shots. But from there, 3 through 6 should have scored more than they have. In a 10 inning series you'd expect them all to get 350 plus. That will probably be only the 2 openers.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:15 pm I think we could have fared a whole lot better. Can't knock the bowlers. They are who they are. But most of our batters should have scored more runs.

Crawleu and Duckett have been fine. Duckett is who he is. Simple. Crawley has matured. Starting to look a complete batter who can play shots. But from there, 3 through 6 should have scored more than they have. In a 10 inning series you'd expect them all to get 350 plus. That will probably be only the 2 openers.
Oh there's no doubt we've been terrible with the bat, Bazball or no Bazball.

Most should be thoroughly pissed off with their form.

Foakes will probably lose his place now to 'accomodate' another batter like Lawrence

;@)