Leeds Utd 1-0 Southampton - Post Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd 1-0 Southampton - Post Match Debate

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 25th February 3:00pm | Elland Road

If ever there were a relegation six-pointer this is it, as Leeds host Southampton on Saturday afternoon. The Saints may be bottom of the top flight (by one point), but Leeds recent form is worse. They haven't won in nearly four months, and are bottom of the form guide whether it be over six, eight or ten games.

New Manager Javi Gracia does not qualify for a work permit, and whilst it looks like his appeal will be successful, it's doubtful it will come in time for Saturday. To make matters worse, they also face a defensive crisis. Max Wober was rated doubtful after dislocating his shoulder at Goodison Park last weekend but will start. Skubala bought on Kristensen, citing skipper Liam Cooper was only fit enough for a cameo role.He fails to make the squad this afternoon.

Struijk too will miss out. He was due to play last weekend, but complained of fogginess whilst training. Perhaps he was trying to escape, and ended up on the Yorkshire Moors.

Marc Roca was rated touch and go. The 26 year old had been struggling with a muscular injury for the last several weeks but will make the bench. January loan signing Weston McKennie will again deputise, alongside fellow USA International Tyler Adams. Brenden Arronson and Georginio Rutter both completed 45 minutes for the U21's on Monday evening, Arronson makes the side with Harrison on the opposite wing. Rodrigo, Archie Gray, Adam Forshaw, Luis Sinisterra and Stuart Dallas remain sidelined.

Southampton will be without Valentino Livramento (muscular), Alex McCarthy (ankle), Juan Larios (groin) and Stuart Armstrong (muscular). Striker Che Adams faces a late fitness test.

Be more secure streaming games this season! Get NordVPN with 68% off + 3 months free...

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Southampton Match Thread

Post by White Riot »

Kagey has Tyler Adams live on his YouTube channel now :love:

https://youtu.be/zXU3CYOBgQ0
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

What's a 6 pointer?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:14 pm What's a 6 pointer?
Converted try :ok:
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Kennyb41 wrote:What's a 6 pointer?
Well it's like this , 2 teams are for example down the bottom...arrr f**k it, I ain't goin through all that again. Google it ImageImage

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

White Riot wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:27 pm Converted try :ok:
Or an unconverted touchdown
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

White Riot wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:27 pm Converted try :ok:
That’s 7
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

My understanding of a six pointer is as follows.
We are 1 point ahead of Soton. If they win they will be 2 points ahead of us. If we win we will be 4 points ahead of them. So the potential difference is 6 points.
-2 behind to plus 4 in front.
That is a six pointer in my world
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:06 pm Or an unconverted touchdown
:tup:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:13 pmThat’s 7
RL Jay
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

White Riot wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:33 pmRL Jay
Ah ok. RU man myself.
Either way those boys could show footballers a thing or two about just getting on with it.
I mean in football a “knock” is basically a 2 week injury. If I didn’t work after a “knock” I’d only do 2 weeks a year.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Nowt short of a win on saturday and I can't personally see us gaining any momentum afterwards, new manager or not, all down to the inadequacies of our board.
I respected AR for taking us on, for putting his own money in when needed, but now, the job is way above him, and that idiot sidekick is clueless, I suspect the whole board isn't fit for purpose anymore.
Going back to that idiot side kick, I wonder how much input he's had in team selection these past few games, he seems to involve himself in every other thing, it appears he's running/ruining the club alone, hope I'm well wide of the mark.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:06 pm Or an unconverted touchdown
Nah, Star of David
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Until the new manager gets his feet under the table I can’t see where the next win is coming from.

Once more a win is more hope than expectation.

Pretty grim at the moment but a win by any means will be a huge boost to the confidence which, let’s face it, must be bumping along the bottom.

Wober not playing is a major worry and let’s all hope Paddy has one of those increasingly rare days where he puts a chance or two away.🤞
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:38 pm Ah ok. RU man myself.
Either way those boys could show footballers a thing or two about just getting on with it.
I mean in football a “knock” is basically a 2 week injury. If I didn’t work after a “knock” I’d only do 2 weeks a year.

Nah then, thas got me ta wunderin bart this.

I too feel footballers these days are wayyyyyyyyyy too mard, so why ?

I wonder if some of them go hiding behind a so called serious injury when they're surrounded by shite players and don't want the spotlight on themselves coz they're only half decent with good players around them, no wonder Raph wanted to get the fck out of here once Bert left.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Not letting myself expect anything but a loss here, typical we seem to always face teams at the wrong time - got rid of jones, beat Chelsea, JWP out to match beckhams free kick record, it’s all happening, be a repeat of last week, lose 1-0
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Interesting game.
Great home record v Soton - W7 D6 L1 of the last 14 PL games. Unbeaten in last 8 at home.
But they are 11th on the away table with 4 wins.
Maximum pressure to avoid going bottom.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:45 pm Nowt short of a win on saturday and I can't personally see us gaining any momentum afterwards, new manager or not, all down to the inadequacies of our board.
I respected AR for taking us on, for putting his own money in when needed, but now, the job is way above him, and that idiot sidekick is clueless, I suspect the whole board isn't fit for purpose anymore.
Going back to that idiot side kick, I wonder how much input he's had in team selection these past few games, he seems to involve himself in every other thing, it appears he's running/ruining the club alone, hope I'm well wide of the mark.
Love everything that Radz has done for us and achieved. He should be remembered as a Leeds legend. If we go down though, he'll lose that legacy. He probably stayed a year longer than he should have. He didn't have the means (that is his means were spread too thin) to take us forward one more step.

Hope we stay up. Hope Radz turns it over at the end of the season. And that way we'll forever remember him as a legend and saviour.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

As it stands they will be happy to take a point while we will be desperate for all three.

Tough game for Javi who has this then Fulham away with hardly any time to prepare for either.

As Phil said today the death penalty to anyone giving them a FC anywhere near our box.

The lads will know how badly they let themselves down after two very hard fought games in the week before.
Hopefully that will be all the determination we need.

My team

Im basing this on the belief that Wober and Struijk are not available, McK cant be dropped as he is just playing himself in, and hopefully he does a decent job of box to box.
I did toy with starting Aaronson on the right and moving Jimmy to the left but would worry that Junior wouldn't get enough support from Jimmy.

Rutter to replace Bamford and Aaronson free to come on out wide or more centrally if needed.

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-02-24 192736.png
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Exactly the team I chose on the BBC footy site^

Easily the most pressure for a game in quite a while.
If a game can turn a season then this is it.
Just hope that in trying to impress Adams & Gnonto keep out of trouble. I like passion & aggression when it’s measured but those two are pushing it.