The owners need to nip the players refusing to play in the bud and now!!!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The owners need to nip the players refusing to play in the bud and now!!!

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

Seriously? Who owns us (semi-serious)? I don't see anyone in charge here? Why are the owners saying nothing? Where is a 49'ers statement regarding the issues with players refusing to play?
Last edited by Victor_Notts-17 on Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The silence from the owners is deafening!

Post by Kennyb41 »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:32 pm Seriously? Who owns us (semi-serious)? I don't see anyone in charge here? Why are the owners saying nothing? Where is a 49'ers statement regarding the issues with players refusing to play?
They have done.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Leeds United Supporters’ Trust has reached out to the club for “an understanding of what is happening” as another first-team player edges closer to the Elland Road exit.

The Athletic‘s Phil Hay and David Ornstein reported on Sunday [13 August] that Jack Harrison is undergoing a medical with Everton after agreeing personal terms with the Premier League side.

That news comes amid speculation that Tyler Adams is wanted by top-flight clubs after a move to Chelsea recently fell through, while Wilfried Gnonto has refused to play in Leeds’ past two games after two bids were rejected from Everton [The Times].

Luis Sinisterra is another who was not selected for the 1-0 loss to Birmingham City on Saturday [12 August], making it just one point from the first six on offer for United, with manager Daniel Farke growing frustrated by the situation.

In a statement posted on Twitter on Sunday [13 August], the Supporters’ Trust said: “We’re as concerned as everyone else around the situation at the club.

“We have contacted the club to ask for a call to get an understanding of what’s happening.”

Farke’s aim in his first season at Elland Road was to steady the ship and keep Leeds in contention for a swift return to the Premier League following their relegation in May.

That was always going to be a tough task, but it has been made all the more difficult by the uncertainty over so many players – not helped by Gnonto going as far as refusing to be selected against Shrewsbury Town in the EFL Cup and then also against Birmingham.

In an ideal world, Leeds would have shifted the wantaway players long before the season had begun, while others attracting interest from Premier League sides – such as Harrison and Adams – would also have been sold by now so that replacements could be brought in.

As it is, with around two-and-a-half weeks to go until the transfer window closes, United face being left in limbo as they wait for bids to be made – if at all in the case of some players.

Performances across the Whites’ first two league games of the season have highlighted the need for more quality, and the money brought in from what appears to be the imminent sale of Harrison could help with that, although not if it is on an initial loan deal as reported by some.

Relegation to the Championship was supposed to provide a new dawn for Leeds and a chance for some normality, yet things are as chaotic as ever off the field just a week into the new campaign.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

"Earlier this week, Willy Gnonto and his representatives were informed by the club that he would not be sold this summer," it read.

"Following those conversations, Willy felt he was unable to play in Wednesday night’s Carabao Cup tie with Shrewsbury Town. Despite training for the last two days, Willy has informed Daniel Farke that he still does not feel able to play this weekend and has not travelled to Birmingham for the game. This is now an internal disciplinary matter and the club will make no further comment, other than to reiterate that Willy Gnonto is not for sale."

;@)
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Thanks Kenneth :tup:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

So I asked before if Gnonto continues to refuse to play he must be, at some point in breach of some basic component of a players contract. So what happens then.
Seems we are screwed either way. Some players had clauses written in their contracts to get loaned or sold and the ones who didn’t have refused to play
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Very mysterious eh? As far as I am concerned: everyone that wants out get them out right now!!!
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

Its the silence of the lambs , before this team is led to the slaughter 😄
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I personally wouldn't get rid of gnonto, not at all, he's chief protagonist but, this is my viewpoint as LUFC owner.

He still has 4 years left on his contract, I have enough money down the back of the settee to cover his negligible wages, as far as I'm concerned he stays at LUFC where he is contracted to, the manager dosen't think he's good enough for playing either 1st or 2nd team football, therefore, he plays with the U19s, thats if the coach of U19s thinks he good enough.
We as a football club will decide when we sell or not, the kid has a lot to learn, looking likely it will be around 3/4 years before he breaks into the first team squad.
Work hard Mr Gnonto and knuckle down, you could have a future in football one day.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Tbf poor communication is a common criticism of this type of ownership

Arsenal, Liverpool fans had the same criticisms of their American owners.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

mentalcase wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:19 pm I personally wouldn't get rid of gnonto, not at all, he's chief protagonist but, this is my viewpoint as LUFC owner.

He still has 4 years left on his contract, I have enough money down the back of the settee to cover his negligible wages, as far as I'm concerned he stays at LUFC where he is contracted to, the manager dosen't think he's good enough for playing either 1st or 2nd team football, therefore, he plays with the U19s, thats if the coach of U19s thinks he good enough.
We as a football club will decide when we sell or not, the kid has a lot to learn, looking likely it will be around 3/4 years before he breaks into the first team squad.
Work hard Mr Gnonto and knuckle down, you could have a future in football one day.
I'm leaning toward this stance myself! But, I also want to ship the inconsiderate rat out asap. Your suggestion is the right way to go about it: show the inconsiderate get that we will not be dictated to by a player.....
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:52 pm So I asked before if Gnonto continues to refuse to play he must be, at some point in breach of some basic component of a players contract. So what happens then.
Seems we are screwed either way. Some players had clauses written in their contracts to get loaned or sold and the ones who didn’t have refused to play
Been wondering that myself. I dont know much about how football contracts are structured, but surely at some point he is in breach of contract?
That then becomes a legal case, decided in the courts. Not sure the club will actually want to do that, but someone should tell the player about potential consequences of his actions.
But all this is a distraction. I agree with the sentiment to get them all out regardless of financial consequences.
Part of the 49ers commitment must be to end the stupidity and chaos of the past years.
Rip the BandAid off, even if it costs money and we lose money on some of these players.
Cut the line with these guys.

They said no fire sale. Personally, I think it's time for a fire sale. The toxicity this is creating is far more damaging.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

another whinge thread takes on a life of it's own.

We had an announcement a day ago, it's like some sit around awaiting a day by day update about all things Leeds.

Watch some TV lads.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

Roll on Friday when we have some more football to talk about!
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The owners need to nip the players refusing to play in the bud and now!!!

Post by malcolmw »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:32 pm Seriously? Who owns us (semi-serious)? I don't see anyone in charge here? Why are the owners saying nothing? Where is a 49'ers statement regarding the issues with players refusing to play?
It's not for the owners to be talking to fans right now. They have a management team in place to run the business.
It is our CEO who should be talking to fans.

We deserve more than a terse statement on the website about Gnonto.

He is lying low for any of a number of reasons:
- He doesn't have the situation in any way under control, and doesn't know how to solve it.
- He is under severe pressure from his boss, our chairman
- He doesn't have to say anything because the fans will fill ER regardless.

But make no mistake, he needs to start doing his job or they'll find someone else you can.
The honeymoon phase of the new ownership is almost over.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Re: The owners need to nip the players refusing to play in the bud and now!!!

Post by Overman »

The bloke from the 49ers certainly talked a good game.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

malcolmw wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:00 pm Been wondering that myself. I dont know much about how football contracts are structured, but surely at some point he is in breach of contract?
That then becomes a legal case, decided in the courts. Not sure the club will actually want to do that, but someone should tell the player about potential consequences of his actions.
But all this is a distraction. I agree with the sentiment to get them all out regardless of financial consequences.
Part of the 49ers commitment must be to end the stupidity and chaos of the past years.
Rip the BandAid off, even if it costs money and we lose money on some of these players.
Cut the line with these guys.

They said no fire sale. Personally, I think it's time for a fire sale. The toxicity this is creating is far more damaging.
Which fucks us over regarding FFP big time, Farke doesn't seem to be a youth friendly manager so it would be free agents and cheap veterans for the next couple of seasons and by then we're back in the mud...

All this f**k em off seems petulant to me ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:10 pm Which fucks us over regarding FFP big time, Farke doesn't seem to be a youth friendly manager so it would be free agents and cheap veterans for the next couple of seasons and by then we're back in the mud...

All this f**k em off seems petulant to me ...
OK I'll bow your your superior knowledge of ffp rules.
My point though is they are poisoning the dressing room.
We have a bunch of talented youngsters in there now due to necessity - they are impressionable and if I was the manager I wouldn't want any of the I-want-out brigade anywhere now the squad.
Harrison and Adams sitting behind the reserves in designer jackets texting is f**king annoying.
Farke actually has a reputation for bringing youngsters along. I like his "tough love" approach.
The players know where they stand. That's leadership.

I actually have lots of empathy for Gnonto. I really think this is not him talking, it's his agent. I bet he just wants to lace up his boots.
Fatter than brolin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fatter than brolin »

malcolmw wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:27 pm OK I'll bow your your superior knowledge of ffp rules.
My point though is they are poisoning the dressing room.
We have a bunch of talented youngsters in there now due to necessity - they are impressionable and if I was the manager I wouldn't want any of the I-want-out brigade anywhere now the squad.
Harrison and Adams sitting behind the reserves in designer jackets texting is f**king annoying.
Farke actually has a reputation for bringing youngsters along. I like his "tough love" approach.
The players know where they stand. That's leadership.

I actually have lots of empathy for Gnonto. I really think this is not him talking, it's his agent. I bet he just wants to lace up his boots.
Then he should lace them up he is a big boy on big boy money no time for these pricks anymore
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:21 pm Tbf poor communication is a common criticism of this type of ownership

Arsenal, Liverpool fans had the same criticisms of their American owners.
American management / ownership style - in my experience of it over the years - is to focus on formal rather than more informal (and therefore more frequent) messaging. I've always thought this was driven by liability risk (people sue you if you sneeze in the wrong way).
In Paraag's first interview he made a comment early on in the discussion that led me to believe we would hear little from him in terms of the day-to-day.
The 'correct channel' would be for his leadership to be doing the communicating.

:duno: