Leeds Utd 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday - Post Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday - Post Match Thread -

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:57 pm Good to see you again today mate 👍.

Where was the accident on the M62 ?, we got home quicker than usual although we did get out of the ground pretty much on the refs whistle.
Junction 37 I think, Kev.

Good to see you too mate, highlight if the day, oh, and eating my egg sandwich on the coach home :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:11 pm The good thing is Farke now has two full weeks to work with the squad although several will be on international duty unfortunately.
Several of them away on international duty, Chilli.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

WhiteRose wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:23 pm I know he is a bit of a forgotten man but we need paddy back, he would have made a difference today. Piroe was very disappointing but I don’t blame him it’s more where he was playing.

Seeing Summerville and gnonto toil away fruitlessly shows we needed a different kind of winger, one who dosnt need to beat their man 10 times and can put better balls in to the box and from what I’ve seen of Anthony he will hopefully provide that
Why is our big strapping new signing playing so deep as a No.10 with handbag boy in the No,9 position?

Piroe needs to be played further forward as a No.9
1964white

Post by 1964white »

malcolmw wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:31 pm Agree John. Can't help feeling today was more about settling in than trying to "blow the bloody doors off" - to paraphrase Michael Cane.
It was a similar team that played against Ipswich with one exception,

Trying to 'blow the bloody doors off', nothing like as you correctly implied, almost sent me to sleep to be honest. :sleep:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:47 pm Why is our big strapping new signing playing so deep as a No.10 with handbag boy in the No,9 position?

Piroe needs to be played further forward as a No.9
Because he's trying to shoehorn them both in, had rutter scored that dreadful chip it would have paid off and made his choice worthwhile, as it is, it cost us with that formation, I suppose we have to accept that a lot of teams will have these tactics against us, up to the manager to find a solution.
As I say, frustrating today, even Pablo would have found it difficult unlocking that 11 men behind the ball tactic, at many times there were a staggering 21 players in one half, and a good 16-18 in the final third, crowded or what !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

60sUnited wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:29 pm Myself and most guys around me today were baffled why Piroe was playing so deep with Rutter in front of him....surely if Farke feels the need to have Rutter on the pitch it should be the other way round ! Personally I just don't think Rutter is much of a contributor to this team (and that's putting it nicely) ! But there again I am not privy to how fantastic he is in training :roll:
Confused me too, 60s :?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

60sUnited wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:29 pm Myself and most guys around me today were baffled why Piroe was playing so deep with Rutter in front of him....surely if Farke feels the need to have Rutter on the pitch it should be the other way round ! Personally I just don't think Rutter is much of a contributor to this team (and that's putting it nicely) ! But there again I am not privy to how fantastic he is in training :roll:
Yea I get that, I really do, it's still early, like he's giving him the opportunity to prove himself, sort of "giving him enough rope" if you like, theres no doubt about it when bamford is fit he'll be straight in if either lose form or rutter dosen't find any,
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:56 pm Because he's trying to shoehorn them both in, had rutter scored that dreadful chip it would have paid off and made his choice worthwhile, as it is, it cost us with that formation, I suppose we have to accept that a lot of teams will have these tactics against us, up to the manager to find a solution.
As I say, frustrating today, even Pablo would have found it difficult unlocking that 11 men behind the ball tactic, at many times there were a staggering 21 players in one half, and a good 16-18 in the final third, crowded or what !!
Don't remind me :shock:

Are we playing too many forwards? everything seems so congested.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:39 pm When you really really want rutter to score, christ, I can only assume he thought he was offside, nevertheless, should still have lobbed the keeper and scored, the lad just has to keep trying.
He wasn't alone though, Ayling, Gnonto, Piroe and Sommerville all squandered decent opportunities.
Our shooting was abysmal.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:40 pm Junction 37 I think, Kev.

Good to see you too mate, highlight if the day, oh, and eating my egg sandwich on the coach home :lol:
We come off at junction 34, so got away with that one.

The smell of those egg sandwiches :sick: :sick: :sick:
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:03 pm Don't remind me :shock:

Are we playing too many forwards? everything seems so congested.
Hard to say, it scared the living daylights out of Ipswich, wednesday knew what to expect and did their homework, what I expect a lot of teams to do this season, up to us to find a way through, I think 4 forwards is OTT but, sacrificing one for another midfielder might not alter much, it's really about putting our chances away.
1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread - Piroe, Rutter, Gnonto & Summerville Start

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:04 pm Gnonto a class apart today to be fair. Struijk is the form CB at the club. Great start to the season for him, hopefully captain next time out
So no orders or leader qualities from Pascal our quiet mouse, who generally looks perplexed, will be captain in name only.
mentalcase

Re: Leeds Utd v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread - Piroe, Rutter, Gnonto & Summerville Start

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:12 pm So no orders or leader qualities from Pascal our quiet mouse, who generally looks perplexed, will be captain in name only.
He did get the armband off Luke though.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Boo Radley wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:53 pm What is the point of a Match day thread if members can’t discuss tactics, what they’ve seen, offer alternative opinions or even just to vent.

Bizarre comment.
I like reading the different views and opinions from people. We are all the same in that we agree or disagree at times with peoples views. What i find annoying is the unbalanced views of people who only show up on match days and slag off players or manager for things that go wrong. They cant find one thing to say that is positive, then they just disappear and wait until the nest game to come back and repeat the process.
Everyone makes mistakes, the best managers do, the best players do, sometimes you just have to suck it up and not throw the toys out of the pram just because you dont get your own way.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

MightyWhites wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:09 pm TBH, I thought that was a very poor performance against a very poor team and we were lucky to come away with a point. Why Piroe wasn't playing as the No9 is a mystery. I personally think Rutter has a can't be arsed attitude - similar to the tennis player Kyrigios. Looks like he makes no effort to me. I'm pleased an International break is coming up because we need to sort our s**t out!
Many fans scratching their heads wondering why?

Yes, we were fortunate to come away with a point, against a side that scraped through the League One play-offs, who spent £1 million plus a few free transfers in the window.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:10 pm
Put on Joseph or Poveda, tried something different.
Agree Cjay, as we weren't going to score a winner if we played all night.

I was relieved there were only four minutes added-on-time, as I was becoming more & more anxious by the end of it all.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:13 pm He did get the armband off Luke though.
Sorry, I don't see Pascal as captain material.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:12 pm Hard to say, it scared the living daylights out of Ipswich, wednesday knew what to expect and did their homework, what I expect a lot of teams to do this season, up to us to find a way through, I think 4 forwards is OTT but, sacrificing one for another midfielder might not alter much, it's really about putting our chances away.
We have four midfielders at our disposal after the internationals, as you say, it may not make no difference.

Farke will no doubt find a way to suit our players styles.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:11 pm We come off at junction 34, so got away with that one.

The smell of those egg sandwiches :sick: :sick: :sick:
Our lads & lassies certainly know about it when I open my sandwich box. :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:12 pm Well nothing to write home about there! A poor performance all round against a team of big lumps. Glad we managed to keep hold of Gnonto who was our one bright spark today, showed a bit of spirit too. Nothing much from Piroe and even less from Rutter, nice little cameo from Spence at the end but too little too late. Not much else to say about a lacklustre performance.
Looking forward to seeing more of Djed, he's a big lad.