Hull City 0-0 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Hull City 0-0 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate

Post by 1964white »

malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Hull City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by malcolmw »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:59 pm Agree on Summerville!

On points. The math is incredibly easy. You must average 2 points per game to have a shot at Winning the league or earning automatic promotion.
Yes. See my earlier analysis above. 117 points available now - history says you need about 89 points to get automatically promoted. 94 likely gets you winning the league.
So we must win 2/3 of the points available from here on. Hence your 2 points per game. So in that regard, we are not behind, we are pretty much on track.

We lost 7 out of the 11 lost so far in the first 3 games, when we could hardly fill the bench and the kids werent playing together in the sandbox.
From what I can see, in the season we got promoted (19/20), after 7 games, we had 13 points - only 3 more than we have now. Just proves - its still very early days.

This league is all about momentum. Keep building and focus on consistency.

I do agree with cjay that I'm concerned too about over-playing Ampadu and Gray - also mentioned that above in another post. Got so start seeing the new guys gaining minutes - Kamara, Grieve and Anthony. But, like I said, I'm willing to bet had the 2nd half turned out differently - no red card, etc. I think we would've seen then in the last 20 minutes or so.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Our pts. per game progression:

WK1: 1.0
WK2: 0.5
WK3: 0.6
WK4: 1.25
WK5: 1.2
WK6: 1.5
WK7: 1.4

By and large trending in the right direction to be at 2 pts. per match. If my math is right, three wins out of the next three games would put us at 1.9 pts. per match, or just off the mark.
In Farke we trust...
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:49 pm Just frustrated

A good point in isolation but we should have won that.

And 2 wins from 7 and 8 from the top 2 isn't good enough.

Sigh
That's why results like this define a season if you have any aspirations of promotion a golden opportunity to get top six and we blow it ,
Can't afford to let others at the top open up a big gap, we just end up playing catch up all season
Players like cooper,and ayling, should be nowhere near the side
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:45 pm I hope so.

I'm not on the 1 season to rebuild and happy to go for it next season bus, this is the season, it has to be.

Just feels to me that teams that go up win today, they beat teams as poor as Sheffield Wednesday and WBA at home, they find a way.

We were comfortably the better side until the sending off (and that 1st yellow was soft).

We have only lost 1 game.

A clean sheet today despite having 10 men for a 3rd of the game and a 3rd in a row which is particularly important given Farke has a reputation for not being a great coach defensively.

It was a good point today in isolation but it is another waste and we have had 2 or 3 of those already.

Need to find some consistency in attack, Piroe and Rutter go from brilliant to wasteful on a game by game basis.

Dan James is Dan James.

Summerville should be first name on the teamsheet.

And I'm getting worried about Farke overplaying Gray and Ampadu.

Haven't they played basically every game now including cups :duno:

It's not over of course and you are right about points to play for.

We need to get upto that 2 points per game mark soon though.

We aren't close atm and Leicester, Preston and Ipswich are setting an unusually high points total at this stage.
Absolutely spot on fella, rodon getting sent off and relying on cooper are all things that define a season as well
No point trying to rectify it in January, because it will be too late
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

geronimo wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:02 am That's why results like this define a season if you have any aspirations of promotion a golden opportunity to get top six and we blow it ,
Can't afford to let others at the top open up a big gap, we just end up playing catch up all season
Players like cooper,and ayling, should be nowhere near the side
I partially agree Geronimo.

But to give things context, I think we should be fair to Daniel Farke and the players. This has been a summer of absolute turmoil, during which we've still being experiencing the negative effects of the club's mismanagement by Radz, Kinnear and Orta.

Whatever Kinnear does now I still haven't forgiven his naive, arrogant and condescending programme notes. Don't insult the fans mate, we're the lifeblood of this club, always have been and always will be.

Farke's had to put up with madness all summer, which even ebbed into the start of our season. This has been very destabilising for him and the players. He very pointedly stated at every opportunity that he couldn't wait for the window to close.

I really think the club is in great hands with Daniel Farke, we are very lucky to have got him. He impresses me with everything he says and does, an absolute class act

As the matches have been played you can clearly see that we have a style of play and identity, just the same as we did under Bielsa.

The team and the players are progressing under Farke's tutelage, and we will see the capabilities of these guys displayed as the season progresses.

I agree that Ayling and Cooper should be nowhere near our team I have no sentimentality at all to these players and have continually stated that the Championship winning players should have been replaced years ago.

It's been continually negligent of the club to fail to recruit and effective left back. Otherwise, the recruitment has been great this summer.

Spence is our right back, but he's injured, and Byram is a very capable deputy for him. I can't understand why Charlie Cresswell is not getting a look in ahead of Cooper?

Byram and Jamie Shackleton have done an admirable job at left back, but that doesn't negate the fact that we need a left back and should get one in January.

Ampadu and Gray need a bit of rest, so Farke does need to seed Grulev and Kamara into the team. I'm sure Farke is aware of this, as he knows the Championship is a long, gruelling competition.

I'm very positive about our prospects and do believe we'll get automatic promotion this season.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Match Thread Re: Hull City 0-0 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

Had we not had that sending off last night, we might have gone on to win that. We need some more of those shots on goal to count. :soccer: :soccer: :soccer:
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Rodon sending off changed the game, we had to adapt to a different style of play once we went down to ten men, not pretty, sloppy at times, but effective apart from Traore's glaring miss at the end. I was relieved to get a point, come the final whistle.

Referee called this wrong!

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Ben Scooby lufc wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:07 am Had we not had that sending off last night, we might have gone on to win that. We need some more of those shots on goal to count. :soccer: :soccer: :soccer:
Yeah 👍

Their goalie had a Stormer, plus I felt like they had a lot of luck with all our shots they blocked.

Good Traore missed that sitter, Bamfraud impression :)
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

White Riot wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:37 am Yeah 👍

Their goalie had a Stormer, plus I felt like they had a lot of luck with all our shots they blocked.

He did play a blinder in goal. Just wish Georginio had scored from that pass.

I was convinced Traore was going to score!! Couldn't believe our luck but we at least deserved a point.
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:37 am Yeah 👍

Generally a case when the opposition changes their keeper, they have a blinder against Leeds.

MOTM apparently, says it all.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

A really good night out last night, really enjoyed it.

Obviously, the sending off changed the game, and even then one could argue we could have won the game. Their keeper was outstanding, and we got a bit of luck with their blatant miss.

Some cracking banter between the fans, and fair play to Hull, their fans were pretty loud.

Nice to catch up with Mr 64 too 👍
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Just looked at the 2 videos, the miss from them and Rodon`s booking. Hard to believe he could miss that, Bamford would have been, Hung, Drawn and Quartered for that miss, lol
As for the booking, i cant believe that the ref saw that as a booking, its no wonder Ref`s get bad press, that wasn't just bad it was scandalous.
foxy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by foxy »

I couldn't get a ticket for the away end ( even as home season ticket holder) so had to get home end ticket via one of their fans. Atmosphere was pretty dead on both sides until the sending off. It was a procession for us beforehand other than the excellence of their keeper preventing us scoring. Sending off changed everything though frankly they never looked like scoring until the last 10 minutes. I was waiting for the net to ripple but thankfully came back off the post and in the end happy with a draw. I agree that we need to start regularly winning these types of games but you can see the team progressing and farke clearly has a plan which he is communicating to his players, something we have totally lacked since bielsa. Things are definitely looking positive.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Farke appears to be trying to instil a lot of confidence and belief in this squad, after it was non existent last season. He`s not getting carried away and trying to play down expectations.
I wish some fans could stop getting too carried away and wanting too much too soon. We are on a good path, its going to take a bit more time and that's what frustrates fans, but we have to keep the faith.
I want us getting promoted this season, like a lot of fans do but if it doesn't happen then so be it, it definitely wont be for the lack of effort and commitment that's for sure because Farke will demand that is the minimum from this squad.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Not seen the match just snippets on Sky. If that’s a sending off then most matches would have 4 or 5 players sent off. Totally hilarious. The ref should hang his head in shame.
On balance of chances I saw we probably deserved the points but then they missed an open goal so I’d take it.
Who knows the odd point here or there could make a difference come end of season.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:12 pm Not seen the match just snippets on Sky. If that’s a sending off then most matches would have 4 or 5 players sent off. Totally hilarious. The ref should hang his head in shame.
On balance of chances I saw we probably deserved the points but then they missed an open goal so I’d take it.
Who knows the odd point here or there could make a difference come end of season.
Just said that. The way the ref handled the millwall game last nights ref would have sent of 7.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Leeds1000 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:36 pm Just said that. The way the ref handled the millwall game last nights ref would have sent of 7.
The yellow shown in video is farcical. They get slightly tangled up. The ref must view it as a professional foul I suppose. But it isn’t. It’s just a 50/50.
Useless idiot.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Farke was right to bring on experience ahead of youth after the sending off.

Just be glad we finally have depth in the squad.

Methinks the MF will need a bit if re jigging for Saturday with Kamara and Gruev badly needing minutes now.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:18 pm Farke was right to bring on experience ahead of youth after the sending off.

Just be glad we finally have depth in the squad.

Methinks the MF will need a bit if re jigging for Saturday with Kamara and Gruev badly needing minutes now.
He had no choice, as some of us are trying to point out Cooper was the only CB on the bench...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"