Favourite Rolling Stones album

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Favourite Rolling Stones album

Post by malcolmw »

I was in the gym this morning listening to the Stones on Spotify.
Given we are about 2 weeks away from yet another Stones album coming out, I was thinking about which is my favourite.
I thought I'd check with the forum!

OK - I'll start - my favourite is Stripped from 1995.

It was a tough choice, but this one to me just sounds like the band was having a great jam session together, and someone happened to record it! Some toe-tapping honky tonk stuff and a great version of Angie.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Favourite Rolling Stones album

Post by 1964white »

Their live album 'Get Yer Ya Ya's Out' or 'Let It Bleed'.

I was listening to Sticky Fingers a couple of weeks ago

I shall purchased the Stones new album 'Hackney Diamonds' when it's released in October.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Much the same as 64…..I’d go with 69’s ‘Let It Bleed’ followed by 70’s live ‘Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out!’.

I’d agree on ‘Stripped’ though Malcolm…….one of their better efforts of recent times (best tracks - Shine A Light/The Spider and the Fly/Train In Vain)…although does 1995 count as recent ? :duno: ……………as getting on for 30yrs ago now.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

It's obviously Exile, but I've got a real soft spot for Emotional Rescue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjkMN12Va-w
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Sara wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:20 pm It's obviously Exile, but I've got a real soft spot for Emotional Rescue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjkMN12Va-w
Yeah, Emotional Rescue is great.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:03 pm Much the same as 64…..I’d go with 69’s ‘Let It Bleed’ followed by 70’s live ‘Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out!’.

I’d agree on ‘Stripped’ though Malcolm…….one of their better efforts of recent times (best tracks - Shine A Light/The Spider and the Fly/Train In Vain)…although does 1995 count as recent ? :duno: ……………as getting on for 30yrs ago now.
Agree Muppet. Great tracks. I think 30 years in Rolling Stones terms is recent.
Saw a good TV interview this week with Mick here in Toronto. He is great for 80!!

Had to laugh when he said that the new album took a bit longer as they had to plan more studio work. He said he and Keith live on different continents and "Keith doesn't do Zoom". Can you picture Keith connecting to Zoom :lol:
He also confirmed they actually are halfway through another album.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

malcolmw wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:40 pm Yeah, Emotional Rescue is great.
I had the impression a lot of people don't rate it... disco, reggae and punk influences creeping in, a bit of an afterthought to Some Girls...

It was the first Stones album I got, along with Love You Live, so it still has the sound of that summer, when I was fourteen and having, er... new experiences.
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Sticky Fingers, or any other album from the Mick Taylor era. His guitar playing was sublime.
Their last decent album was Steel Wheels, over 30 years ago.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

WestgateRun wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:04 am Sticky Fingers, or any other album from the Mick Taylor era. His guitar playing was sublime.
Their last decent album was Steel Wheels, over 30 years ago.
This from the summer of '74, played this song to death throughout the glorious warm months

One of the most beautiful guitar solo's ever. Just captures the feeling of the era so beautifully. There's nothing more seventies sounding anywhere than this.

Jagger's voice great on this too, Van Morrison vibes!

malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:32 am This from the summer of '74, played this song to death throughout the glorious warm months

One of the most beautiful guitar solo's ever. Just captures the feeling of the era so beautifully. There's nothing more seventies sounding anywhere than this.

Jagger's voice great on this too, Van Morrison vibes!

Bloody marvelous 👌
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Sara wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:42 am I had the impression a lot of people don't rate it... disco, reggae and punk influences creeping in, a bit of an afterthought to Some Girls...

It was the first Stones album I got, along with Love You Live, so it still has the sound of that summer, when I was fourteen and having, er... new experiences.
I liked the song when I heard it on the radio and went out a d bought the album. It did have to grow on me, but really liked it after a while.

Yes 'new experiences' - those were the days. Seems different today - kids have to want to 'talk about their feelings'. No bloody way I'd have don't that.