Norwich City V Leeds Utd - Match Thread - Post Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Norwich City V Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate

Post by JoeDenver »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:13 pm I'm happy with Farke, but I'll never get Piroe as the 10. Rutter played the 9 and 10 positions today and the reason we were shooting from wide angles is Piroe wasn't in the box..
Likely unpopular opinion here, but I’d be curious if they could trot Paddy out there instead of Piroe…that would force Rutter into operating as the 10. Really curious how that might work out. By no means am I recommending this as a regular thing, but this would be a good interim step if Farke is having doubts. Perhaps against Stoke is an ideal testing ground?
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Norwich City V Leeds Utd Match Thread score removed to not spoil it for people

Post by JoeDenver »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:13 pm Great point, Sub!
And I concur. See my next post.
Last edited by JoeDenver on Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Norwich City V Leeds Utd Match Thread score removed to not spoil it for people

Post by JoeDenver »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:12 pm Lets not forget Norwich are one of the divisions best home teams...
I concur with Ash. They’ve looked really good in the few times I’ve seen them this year. Add in all of the intangibles (American sports vernacular) surrounding around international break, Farke’s homecoming, he and Wagner both being German and having similar influences/pedigrees. Add in the strong familiarity between players of both teams, and, well this one had an “Ides of March” eerie feeling surrounding it. So happy for the three points, although my heart is suffering mightily from the massive swings :P
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

JoeDenver wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:16 pm Likely unpopular opinion here, but I’d be curious if they could trot Paddy out there instead of Piroe…that would force Rutter into operating as the 10. Really curious how that might work out. By no means am I recommending this as a regular thing, but this would be a good interim step if Farke is having doubts. Perhaps against Stoke is an ideal testing ground?
Or you could just start Piroe as the 9, nothing needs to be forced
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

JoeDenver wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:21 pm I concur with Ash. They’ve looked really good in the few times I’ve seen them this year. Add in all of the intangibles (American sports vernacular) surrounding around international break, Farke’s homecoming, he and Wagner both being German and having similar influences/pedigrees. Add in the strong familiarity between players of both teams, and, well this one had an “Ides of March” eerie feeling surrounding it. So happy for the three points, although my heart is suffering mightily from the massive swings :P
Definitely one of the stronger looking sides we've faced this season. I haven't seen any of their other matches, but they had no problem opening us up and keeping us on the back foot, especially in the first half. Was expecting more from Rowe, who seemed to fade quickly, but Sara certainly picked up the slack. If this match is in anyway indicative of their regular play then its easy to see them in the playoffs.
In Farke we trust...
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

BobHirst wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:02 pm I watched the first half and then had to go out to watch my 6 year old grand daughter's soccer game. I had mixed feelings about the half I had just seen. We had produced enough chances to be at least even but the finishing was again not up to par. I wasn't in complete despair as I thought we were playing reasonably well but I must admit I was nicely shocked when I saw the final score later in the day.
Some nice goals too.
Oh btw my grand daughter's team won and she scored a goal :)
Seems like you and I are on the same schedule, Bob! And many congrats to her!
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

JoeDenver wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:27 am Seems like you and I are on the same schedule, Bob! And many congrats to her!
Our Saturdays are usually chaotic. We have 5 grand kids who all participate in baseball, softball, soccer and cheer leading. We try to see as many games as possible but we usually have time clashes and with the games being in different parts of the area we usually get to 2 or 3 games. Of course I have a spreadsheet to keep a check on which games we've been to so we can plan which games we'll go to the next weekend.
Do you have similar hectic weekends?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norwich is the best side we've played this season, they have some decent individuals, though we did cut through them with ease throughout the whole game. The canaries did fall apart when we applied the pressure in the second-half. You can see why they have conceded the most goals in the championship, 22 goals in their 12 games.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

The 9 / 10 role is a conundrum.

I was going to post a long diatribe about the roles but the reality is for the most part I would echo previous comments.

For me it is still early days. There have been many examples of great interplay between the two of them. We would all like to see more - but every great partnership takes time.

Piroe often looks like he is not in the game but he does occupy defenders and create space for others to exploit. His movement is very good IMO.

He does not catch the imagination like Rutter and Summerville but he is a key component for them.

I am inclined to give the current set up more time as it has more positives than negatives for me.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:58 am The 9 / 10 role is a conundrum.

I was going to post a long diatribe about the roles but the reality is for the most part I would echo previous comments.

For me it is still early days. There have been many examples of great interplay between the two of them. We would all like to see more - but every great partnership takes time.

Piroe often looks like he is not in the game but he does occupy defenders and create space for others to exploit. His movement is very good IMO.

He does not catch the imagination like Rutter and Summerville but he is a key component for them.

I am inclined to give the current set up more time as it has more positives than negatives for me.
Indeed, Piroe is a vital figure for us, DF has him playing slightly behind the CF role, but his link up play is a joy, often the quite players go unnoticed to some eyes.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Well deserved accolades--both Summerville and Farke made the WhoScored EFL Team of the Week, with Summerville also earning Player of the Week as well.
"Left midfield: Crysencio Summerville (Leeds) - 9.73 rating

Boasting a WhoScored.com rating of 9.73, Leeds star Crysencio Summerville is the EFL player of the week. Daniel Farke's side came from 2-0 down to beat Norwich 3-2 with 21-year-old Summerville netting twice from five shots at Carrow Road. The youngster also made six key passes and completed five dribbles in a stunning display from the Leeds winger at the Canaries."

Sources: https://www.efl.com/news/2023/october/2 ... -the-week/

https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1716437 ... eds-united
Last edited by AcrossThePondAsh on Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Farke we trust...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Still not got a clue who was playing where when Daniel went for his yolo and decided to bring on every attacker we have (worked) :)

But at one point we had
Gnonto
Bamford
Summerville
Rutter
Piroe
James.

All on the pitch at once.

Who was playing where? Any ideas
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:24 am There wasn't a lot in it and no reason we shouldn't have had 2 ourselves in the first half, in fact we had the better play of it in that first half and it was by no means panic stations and for some (one) to be calling for DF's head or a complete overhaul of the team at half/time was ludicrous.

Our play is creating chances, Norwich were bound to create their own coz they never even had a thought of parking the bus, it was a good open game of football, we are not Barcelona and Norwich weren't Citeh, but we went with the intention of winning the game and so did they, their fans went home gutted and i bet Heidi had a fantastic journey home.

He still needs players and he knows it, 1 more decentish window (2 signings hopefully January) and it might just be good enough to go up, then re-assess.
3 weeks before the season started no one would’ve thought we’d be in third place now. We had the worst lead in of any team, yet here we are. To put it in even better perspective, we have only one point less than we had after 12 games in 2019/20.
Farke has done wonders given what he was faced with when he arrived.
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

Cjay wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:32 pm Still not got a clue who was playing where when Daniel went for his yolo and decided to bring on every attacker we have (worked) :)

But at one point we had
Gnonto
Bamford
Summerville
Rutter
Piroe
James.

That's what changed the game and bringing gnonto on up to that point we were dead and buried
Farkes problem is he don't know is best team he is still not playing the best players and having to put square pegs in round holes because he ain't got the options open to him
That's why the 49ers need to back him quickly or these problems will constantly reoccur
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

BobHirst wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:21 am Our Saturdays are usually chaotic. We have 5 grand kids who all participate in baseball, softball, soccer and cheer leading. We try to see as many games as possible but we usually have time clashes and with the games being in different parts of the area we usually get to 2 or 3 games. Of course I have a spreadsheet to keep a check on which games we've been to so we can plan which games we'll go to the next weekend.
Do you have similar hectic weekends?
Equally hectic. Coaching 6yo daughter’s soccer team, which sometimes has doubleheaders involved. Will catch 4yo son’s soccer practice if schedule permits. At those ages, there is seemingly always a birthday party to negotiate. Throw in regular weekend chores, and it’s amazing I have any time to squeeze in Leeds or any fly fishing :)
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Cjay wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:32 pm Still not got a clue who was playing where when Daniel went for his yolo and decided to bring on every attacker we have (worked) :)

But at one point we had
Gnonto
Bamford
Summerville
Rutter
Piroe
James.

James appeared to be at LWB and Gnonto took his spot at RW. Summerville was at LW. And so I suspect it was Bamford at the 9 with Rutter and Piroe joint 10s?
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

But at one point we had
Gnonto
Bamford
Summerville
Rutter
Piroe
James.

We were playing a 3-1-6, obviously.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Norwich City V Leeds Utd - Match Thread - Post Match Debate

Post by GreennWhite »

At the end of the day does it really matter who played where, as long as we won. I think people can sometimes be too critical of how a team must play, how the tactics must be. If your chasing the game you get your best players on the pitch and you try and win it.
Anyone who thinks Farke doesn't go through situations like this in practice is mistaken. They will have spent lots of time trying different formations in practice games, some will work some wont. As much as we all like to have our say and think we are as smart as Farke regarding formations and tactics, i somehow doubt we are :)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:08 pm We were playing a 3-1-6, obviously.
It paid off, won't always be the case, wouldn't matter if we'd put our chances away.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:17 pm I just watched the whole game again

We defended better in the second-half, great going forward.

Fantastic watch. :-D
I just watched it again too 64.
A few things struck me:
- Summerville was even more sensational on 2nd viewing. I do wish he'd sometimes just shoot on first touch in the box. He did that last week and was unlucky not to score. But good grief he was sensational.

- equally better on second view was Pascal. He was immense in defense and also is finding his voice and confidence as captain.

- cjay has questioned why DF seems to adopt a different setup for away games. I saw that in terms of how high he had the 2 backs playing. Byrum and Archie were far more wings than backs and it didn't work - both seemed a bit at sea.

- Dan James' workrate deserves mention. He ran his butt off. Getting to Georgie's pass that led to the first goal was amazing - he even fell over the hoardings in the process!

- Loved the self belief. At no point did you see heads dropping.

Good stuff lads.