Heidi's Blog - Leeds send Terriers home with tails between their legs

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Heidi's Blog - Leeds send Terriers home with tails between their legs

Post by Lufcheidi »

Leeds United v Huddersfield Town | 28th October 2023 | Elland Road

I’d already put the Stoke game behind me by yesterday and moved on as I find it’s a good coping mechanism. There’s no way you can change the score or what happened and sometimes stewing over it does more harm than good. After seeing Leeds advertising for an SLO, I’ll admit if I was younger, it is something I would have liked to have applied for but it’s too late now. Maybe it’s best that I have autonomy with my blog.

After going via Wakefield with my granddaughter to pick my daughter up, by the time we got to Elland Road, once again it was too late to go to the Peacock. After hearing Alfie Haaland was in there earlier although it was good to hear, it was mixed with disappointment that I missed him. As well as seeing photos of those with Gary Kelly, it’s good to see our ex-players mixing with the fans.

I will always maintain that our best form of defence is attack and we should always come out of the starting block at the first whistle rather than waiting until the second half. With Huddersfield turning us around at the toss, as one of my friends was asking what that was all about, I said, it doesn’t matter because we are going to win. I don’t think anyone, me included, expected us to be leading 4-0 at the break and also have a goal disallowed. After time wasting for so long, once we’d scored our first goal, it's surprising but Huddersfield stopped doing it, I wonder why?

The first half was a sensational performance from Leeds United and when the ball hit the back of the net after 10 minutes of the game, the roars of the Leeds fans were quickly subdued as the linesman put his flag up and the goal was disallowed. The disappointment didn’t last long as Leeds took the lead on 20 minutes after a fantastic build up from the back. Rutter with great skills once again sent a fantastic ball for Summerville to run onto and as he neared the penalty area, he passed to James on the right. James caught everyone out by hitting a great shot straight away into the bottom corner of the net. Huddersfield could have got straight back into the game as their player got the better of Shackleton on the edge of the box, only for Rodon to make a last gasp challenge where he looked to hurt himself, to keep him from scoring.

Leeds didn’t take long then to go further into the lead when Piroe passed to Summerville on the left. His teasing footwork saw him hit a low to the right of the keeper and into the net. As he ran to the West Stand to celebrate, with not wearing my glasses I thought he’d been stopped by a Huddersfield player before realising it was Gnonto celebrating with him. Three minutes later we saw Summerville running at a fast pace with the ball down the middle of the pitch with the options of James to the right of him and Piroe or Rutter to the left. He passed the ball to James who took a touch to the ball before hitting another great low shot into the bottom left of the net to give us a third goal. The drama was not over yet as deep into injury time, Rutter with a fantastic run on the left-hand side after a backheel from Byram, saw him pull the ball back to Summerville in the penalty area. Summerville went right, then left to get away from his marker and as James jumped out of the way, put a low shot into the right of the net to send the Leeds fans wild. What a first half performance from Leeds and exactly the right comeback after the disappointing midweek performance at Stoke.

There was a great buzz downstairs at half time with lots of happy, smiling Leeds fans. I know I was looking for more of the same in the second half as improving our goal difference was important to me. Sadly, it was more of a damp squib. With Huddersfield having a rare attack, their man let fly with a great shot from outside the area which bounced back off Meslier. Their man got there first to the rebound to hit it into the net. I was looking for an offside but with the linesman not up with play, the goal was given. After our goal was disallowed in the first half for offside, it was a disappointment that it was given. In the end, I feel we went for damage limitations rather than have a complete performance but getting a 4-1 win at home and another three points was the main thing.

Onto Leicester next Friday which is a crunch top of the table game. As long as we put in a performance like the first half, we will get something out of it. I am hoping to make it still knowing we get dropped off outside the turnstiles plus I’ve moved my seat to the front of the stand, as I won’t be able to stand for long periods. I know I am putting myself under pressure to get there with having my gall bladder out beforehand, but as with my recent hip replacement, it is an incentive to keep going and not miss a game.

See you there, LUFC – Marching on Together!

Leeds won the game 4-1 with James (20, 34) and Summerville (31, 45+5) both getting a brace

Team: Meslier, Struijk, Rodon, Kamara, Summerville, James, Byram, Shackleton, Piroe, Rutter, Ampadu.

Subs: Ayling for Byram (59), Gnonto for Summerville (59), Cooper for Rodon (injured 63), Anthony for James (79), Bamford for Rutter (79)

Unused Subs: Darlow, Gray, Gruev, Poveda

Attendance: 36,813 (2,900 Huddersfield)
Referee: James Bell
Booked: None from Leeds, four Huddersfield

malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Heidi's blog Leeds United v Huddersfield 28.10.23

Post by malcolmw »

Another great report and pics Heidi - thank you.
We have something in common right now - I too am having my gall bladder removed Friday after next.
It really is a nasty little organ when it misbehaves! Its been giving me the gip for over a year, and because we head down to California for a couple of months over the winter, my surgeon has brought the surgery forward.

Best of luck with yours - we can compare battle notes afterwards (although I'm not sure the forum will want to hear the gory details!!)
Hope you get to the Leicester game and come out afterwards with a big smile!!
Malcolm
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Thanks for taking the time Heidi, so refreshing not to see Clown A in the box photos.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Another great read and set of photos, Heidi. Thanks so much for always sharing!

I'm glad for your sake we played so well (at least in the first half). What a great match to attend--I'm quite jealous.

P.S. Love your Ali G. costume :P
In Farke we trust...
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

malcolmw wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:10 am Another great report and pics Heidi - thank you.
We have something in common right now - I too am having my gall bladder removed Friday after next.
It really is a nasty little organ when it misbehaves! Its been giving me the gip for over a year, and because we head down to California for a couple of months over the winter, my surgeon has brought the surgery forward.

Best of luck with yours - we can compare battle notes afterwards (although I'm not sure the forum will want to hear the gory details!!)
Hope you get to the Leicester game and come out afterwards with a big smile!!
Malcolm
Thanks for that and happy to share notes. Since my last 5 hour attack it’s been grumbling ever since and as they supposedly get worse it needs to be out. Good luck with your op.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:31 am Thanks for taking the time Heidi, so refreshing not to see Clown A in the box photos.
You’re welcome
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:45 am Another great read and set of photos, Heidi. Thanks so much for always sharing!

I'm glad for your sake we played so well (at least in the first half). What a great match to attend--I'm quite jealous.

Thank you. It was a great first half and I really wanted us to get double figures in the second half but we took our foot off the pedal. I just wish the atmosphere would have been bouncing too but it was poor in comparison.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:45 am Another great read and set of photos, Heidi. Thanks so much for always sharing!

Thank you. It was a great first half and I really wanted us to get double figures in the second half but we took our foot off the pedal. I just wish the atmosphere would have been bouncing too but it was poor in comparison.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Glad to see Alfie is maintaining his support for his home town club.

Good luck with the op Heidi.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lufcheidi »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:54 pm Glad to see Alfie is maintaining his support for his home town club.

Good luck with the op Heidi.

Thank you. I thought it was great to see Alfie mixing with the fans in the Peacock and nice that he wants to support us still.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Great read as usual Heidi. Thank you.
What area in Wakefield does your daughter live? I'm Wakey born and Bred. Go up to Sandal regularly.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Good to see Kev, Sue& your good self Heidi :-D

Nice photos as ever

And one for you.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 07.55.17.png
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Heidi's Blog - Leeds send Terriers home with tails between their legs

Post by Barlow Boy »

As I said at the time, nice boots 👍
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:51 am As I said at the time, nice boots 👍
I like it, well prepared is our Heidi for any potential derby aggro from the Hudds fans eh, and not one bit bothered about that hip, tough gal, get stuck in Heidi if it kicks off, animal.

I bet there's the odd razor in that Peaky Blinder bonnet anorl ;-)

Look how that fist is clenched, that's not pointing at the badge, that's tellin ya where you'll get stabbed that is :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

How many 'flick knives in that bumbag we're guessing huh ???

Head of the 'Leeds firm'

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:51 am As I said at the time, nice boots 👍
Your picture is on my match photo thread, you're lucky mate :lol: not many on here look at my topic :(
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:48 pm Your picture is on my match photo thread, you're lucky mate :lol: not many on here look at my topic :(
What do you expect when you sneak up on folk 😂
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:53 pm What do you expect when you sneak up on folk 😂
Heidi is worse than I, in that respect, as you very well know :lol:
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:05 pm Heidi is worse than I, in that respect, as you very well know :lol:
Yes, but I’m ready for her, and watch my back.

You took me completely by surprise :) :) :)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:00 pm I like it, well prepared is our Heidi for any potential derby aggro from the Hudds fans eh, and not one bit bothered about that hip, tough gal, get stuck in Heidi if it kicks off, animal.

I bet there's the odd razor in that Peaky Blinder bonnet anorl ;-)

Look how that fist is clenched, that's not pointing at the badge, that's tellin ya where you'll get stabbed that is :tup:
I’ve nothing but admiration for Heidi.

Takes some doing going home and away every week, I used to do it.

As I say, admire her immensely for her tireless support 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼