The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th October) Flying Dutchman on fire as Whites destroy Terriers

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th October) Flying Dutchman on fire as Whites destroy Terriers

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 30th October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Flying Dutchman on fire as Whites destroy Terriers

Leeds maintained their unbeaten home record for the season, smashing four past hapless neighbours Huddersfield Town at the weekend. Daniel Farke's side had some making up to do, after their calamitous performance against Stoke, but more than made up for it with a dominant, stylish and clinical first half display which saw most of the travelling contingent make a swift half-time Elland Road exit.

Leeds began their road to redemption on 20 minutes when Rutter, (on the edge of his own box) released Summerville down the left channel, before cutting inside towards goal; twelve seconds later Leeds were ahead. Unselfishly, the flying Dutchman released James to the right of him, but surrounded by a sea of black shirts, launched a ferocious drive from the edge of area, beating Lee Nicholls at his near post.

Leeds doubled their lead on 31 minutes when Summerville, enjoying his new inverted striker role, tried his luck from distance after weaving his way in and out of traffic. Unsighted, his right foot curling shot deceived the Huddersfield shot-stopper, as the ball flew past him, just inches away.

A few minutes later James was back on the score sheet, with again Summerville the provider. James latched on to Jimmy's inch perfect through ball before lifting it over the keeper. Not to be outdone, Summerville also grabbed his first half brace deep into first half stoppage time, after good work from Rutter.

Leeds took their foot off the gas in the second half. They continued to dominate, but with the game already won, lacked that killer instinct in front of goal. The visitors netted a consolation twenty minutes from time, after Meslier could only fumble Thomas's shot (rom all of 30 yards), allowing Helik an easy tap-in.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic

Although fourteen points shy of leaders Leicester City, the Championship stats show that there are plenty of reasons for Leeds fans to be optimistic going forward. Not only has Daniel Farke rebuilt a team capable of challenging for automatic promotion, but it's one of the youngest too. Calculated by minutes played this season, the average age of the Leeds outfield is 24.4 yrs, only Sunderland (23.3yrs) can boast a more youthful side.

The Whites top the charts (along with Leicester City) with the amount of assists this term (19) and have amassed the third lowest amount of bookings (24), behind West Brom and Middlesbrough. Only Ipswich Town have had more shot at goal (232 vs 231), but with 72 efforts on target (31.2%), Leeds slip down to 11th on consistency.

Could Harrison keep Everton up

With two assists and a goal from his three starts this season in an Everton shirt, Jack Harrison has played a leading role in helping a Toffee's revival. The 26 year old joined the Merseyside outfit mid August, but because of injury, was unable to feature (start) until earlier this month, when he scored, and provided an assist during their 3-0 victory over Bournemouth.

After predictably losing their Merseyside derby, Everton provided another upset last weekend by beating West Ham at the London Stadium, with Harrison providing the assist. The common denominator in lifting Everton to safety is Harrison, and although a deduction of 12 points looks to be on its way because of Financial Fair Play irregularities, they have got themselves out of stickier situations over the past few seasons.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th October) Flying Dutchman on fire as Whites destroy Terriers

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks.

Nice to start the week with a win under our belts. Let's hope we can continue the progression.
Nice to see Jimmy and James in the goals.

Re Harrison. It is in our interests to see the loan players do well. That adds to their value. All this bitterness directed towards Everton began when Fwank took over and then brew once the FFP fiasco came to light.
Hopefully one day we can all move on from that.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th October) Flying Dutchman on fire as Whites destroy Terriers

Post by Sean_Nile »

Oh no!!! Flying Dutchman on fire... how did that happen... was it spontaneous combustion?

And how did a tall ship, a schooner get into Elland Road... am I missing something?

Titles can be confusing for old folks
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

The statistics regarding team age, number of assists and shots would confirm that we are one of the better sides in this division, as you would expect from a newly relegated side. But considering all the upheaval coming into the season, and during the start of the season, I think we can be happy with our current situation, especially with the promise that it could get even better as confidence, from performances like the 1st half the other day, grows.

Whilst I’m pleased for Jackie, I’m not the least bit interested in Everton - cue our boring, boorish, scum loving, scouse injun friend, who will be waxing lyrical I suspect.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jimmy taking all the plaudits huh.

Jeez i'm itching to see EFC go down, and it's nowt ta do with any recent LUFC stuff, and nowt at all to do with Fwank.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Great win on Saturday against a woeful Terriers, but Friday will more accurately tell us what our aspirations should be this season. If we play as we sometimes can a win at Leicester is achievable. Go get ‘em Farke.

My recent issue with Everton is that they trampled all over our club this summer, disrupting preparations and unsettling players in an already bad situation. Dyche pursued Willy Gnonto to a point where his ill-advised actions have potentially left us several points shy of where we might be and playing catch-up for promotion.

That and their cheating over FFP. £170m for COVID losses? They’re having a laugh.

Sorry, I’m still bitter.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
East enough win and one I expected, hence my 6-0 prediction days earlier, and it really ought to have been 6, we simply lacked ideas in the 2nd half, not moaning we won, just perplexed as to why we can't keep going and kill teams off.
The stat thing above proves my point, will that lack of consistency and scoring chances cost us !!
I detested everslum long before lumpard went, and its purely because they are nearly always scrapping for survival, a bit like villa did for a while, at least villa are now laking some attractive football and have a decent manager.
Anyway. the testing time for us will be friday, a point at this stage will be fine, that means we come away thinking we ought to have actually won.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

It must have been a pleasure to be in that ground for the first 45 on Saturday. Great result after Stoke who themselves went on and crushed Boro's recent revival. Only seen he goals the two James got should do the lad the world of good.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:53 am It must have been a pleasure to be in that ground for the first 45 on Saturday. Great result after Stoke who themselves went on and crushed Boro's recent revival. Only seen he goals the two James got should do the lad the world of good.
Indeed it was a pleasure, they turned us around as well, meaning we were playing towards geldered end first half, my seat was in west stand by shitty embarrassing press box, but it meant I had a great view of all the goals, including theirs which Meslier cocked up.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

The issue with Everton, putting aside that they have bent all sorts of rules around FFP to cheat their way to remain at the Premiership table which is a whole new story in itself, is that they attempted to exploit the situation where Gnonto and his Agent were trying to engineer their way out of their obligations to Leeds United. They were, and still are potless, and low-balled Leeds to get the player. They were hoping that Leeds would get fed up, cut their losses and be happy to get shot of Gnonto for a song. It was highly disrespectful but at the end of the day is was simply business.

For this particular situation I put the blame firmly and squarely on the shoulders of Gnonto. It was an appalling and unforgivable way to behave. He was happy to sign a contract but then when the arrangement no longer suited him he wanted to be off. He actually withdrew his labour in order to force the issue. He was put firmly, and rightly, in his place. He is a young man and has plenty to learn and a long way to go before he is an automatic first 11 choice. His time might come but he's hardly setting the World alight at Leeds.

In my eyes, no matter what he now does at the club he will never be good enough to wear the shirt. The Club is bigger than he will ever be He can jog on as soon as the Club is ready to sell him for the fee that they want.
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

PhoenixUnited wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:08 am The issue with Everton, putting aside that they have bent all sorts of rules around FFP to cheat their way to remain at the Premiership table which is a whole new story in itself, is that they attempted to exploit the situation where Gnonto and his Agent were trying to engineer their way out of their obligations to Leeds United. They were, and still are potless, and low-balled Leeds to get the player. They were hoping that Leeds would get fed up, cut their losses and be happy to get shot of Gnonto for a song. It was highly disrespectful but at the end of the day is was simply business.

For this particular situation I put the blame firmly and squarely on the shoulders of Gnonto. It was an appalling and unforgivable way to behave. He was happy to sign a contract but then when the arrangement no longer suited him he wanted to be off. He actually withdrew his labour in order to force the issue. He was put firmly, and rightly, in his place. He is a young man and has plenty to learn and a long way to go before he is an automatic first 11 choice. His time might come but he's hardly setting the World alight at Leeds.

In my eyes, no matter what he now does at the club he will never be good enough to wear the shirt. The Club is bigger than he will ever be He can jog on as soon as the Club is ready to sell him for the fee that they want.
Excellent analysis , one which I echo completely :clap:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Not like Leeds to exploit opportunities to strengthen the squad.

Thinks Geldhart from Wigan and Perkins from West Ham.

In one we strong armed them because their owners had mismanaged them into administration and in the second we tapped up an U18 and stole him on a free.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:36 am Not like Leeds to exploit opportunities to strengthen the squad.

In one we strong armed them because their owners had mismanaged them into administration and in the second we tapped up an U18 and stole him on a free.
And I'm sure their supporters weren't too happy either Ian. It might be the way of the world but we don't have to like it.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

11 goals in the Championship from our Dutch duo now is it ?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

A lot of clubs mess about with other teams players/managers if they think they can get something out of it. Its not ideal that it happens but its just the way football is now, you grab any chance you can to get one up on your opponents.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I had a look at the ITV EFL highlights from Saturday this morning.

We looked very good in the first half. All the changes invariably added to the drop off of intensity in the second half as the match was already won.

I looked at Leicester and my immediate conclusion was how quickly they move the ball in transition from defence to attack. It is a very similar speed of transition to how we played under Bielsa. Very very quick incisive and progressive ball movement, in the main on the grass into feet.

We on the other hand are either relying on Rutter to play a defence breaking pass from deep or relying on individual skill on the ball. There was quick ball progression for the James goals, so this shows that we have this in our locker. I believe we need more of this to break down the better teams.

Our slow tempo starting from the back with numerous sideways and backwards passing has merits but as we have seen previously it is not overly effective at breaking down well defensively organised teams.

I hope we can work on the speed of our transitional play to create openings rather than relying on individual skill from Cyr and Rutter as
we will undoubtedly not have them available for every game.
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:36 am Not like Leeds to exploit opportunities to strengthen the squad.

As I said earlier - this is business and the way of the World
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Carrick Dave wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:42 am And I'm sure their supporters weren't too happy either Ian. It might be the way of the world but we don't have to like it.
I agree.
'
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:43 am 11 goals in the Championship from our Dutch duo now is it ?
Ex Leeds winger Jack Clarke is currently the top scorer in the championship with 9. Admittedly 4 of them have been pens but still a good return for a winger.
He's been outstanding for them this season apparently.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:40 am Great win on Saturday against a woeful Terriers, but Friday will more accurately tell us what our aspirations should be this season. If we play as we sometimes can a win at Leicester is achievable. Go get ‘em Farke.

My recent issue with Everton is that they trampled all over our club this summer, disrupting preparations and unsettling players in an already bad situation. Dyche pursued Willy Gnonto to a point where his ill-advised actions have potentially left us several points shy of where we might be and playing catch-up for promotion.

That and their cheating over FFP. £170m for COVID losses? They’re having a laugh.

Sorry, I’m still bitter.
Some folk forget that Everton could have cost points this season.

Hope they get what they deserve, a points' deduction, just as LUFC endured for our misdemeanours in the past.