Leeds Utd v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread - Post match discussion

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread - Post match discussion

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 11th November 3:00pm | Elland Road

Plymouth Argyle make the 350 mile pilgrimage to Elland Road on Saturday, hoping to take advantage of a below strength Leeds side, without the services of up to eight first team players. The International break can't come quick enough for the Whites, who have had to deal with a multitude of issues both on and off the pitch. Whilst they may have strength in depth, the visitors are stronger than their league position suggests, especially going forward.

The Pilgrims have netted nine times in their last three games, but haven't been able to protect their leads in recent games against Boro (3-3) and Ipswich Town (3-2 loss). There are twelve points, and sixteen places separating the teams, who last met sixteen years ago, when Robbie Blake, Eddie Lewis, David Healy and Lubomir Michalic helped secure 2-1 victories, both home and away (2006/07 season).

Pascal Struijk will be out of action for the foreseeable future with a double hernia. The Leeds skipper has been playing through the pain barrier in recent weeks, but is about to go under the surgeon's knife. Daniel Farke will recall Liam Cooper back to the fold, retaining Ethan Ampadu in the holding midfield role and Archie Gray ar right back.

Joe Gelhardt doesn't need surgery on his hand, but will miss the visit of Plymouth as he hasn't been able to train properly. Jamie Shackleton has picked up a minor groin strain that should keep him sidelined at least until Leeds visit Rotherham on the 24th.

Djed Spence's road to recovery has been complicated by tonsillitis. According to the gaffer, it may be another three or four weeks until the Spurs wing-back is back in his rhythm. Patrick Bamford missed training earlier in the week due to illness, but makes the bench, whilst Stuart Dallas continuous to strengthen his leg muscles, and regain his fitness, but is currently training alone.

Junior Firpo isn't match fit either. According to the gaffer, he's making good progress, and is close to being involved in games. Charlie Cresswell has missed training earlier in the week due to personal reasons but also makes the bench.

New season VPN offer! Get NordVPN with 62% off + 3 months free...

AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Good to see Leo up and about...he might well be needed.

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1722660 ... eds-united
In Farke we trust...
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

That's a relief, about Junior.

Reet, i was thinking this game was gonna be easier, but now you've put it like above, i'm off to change my score prediction to 3-3 or 2-2.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Copy n paste below....

One reminder of Leeds United’s last match should settle most minds on what team you pick for Saturday’s clash. Pascal Struijk’s surgery forces Daniel Farke into at least one switch, but there are not too many plausible debates elsewhere in the side.

The manager may have posed Ethan Ampadu and Sam Byram as possible replacements for Struijk, but the knock-on impact is not worth the heartache. Liam Cooper is the clearest solution, especially against a team which is fifth from bottom and yet to win on the road this season.

Cooper would also pick up the armband Struijk leaves behind and provide some leadership in a game Farke has had to warn against complacency. Byram and Ampadu keeping their roles is imperative for the rest of the side too.

Introducing either Junior Firpo or Ilia Gruev to allow their moves makes zero sense when the captain is waiting in the wings. Joe Rodon is probably the first name on your teamsheet, but the question mark hanging over Charlie Cresswell buries even that decision.

Archie Gray, who was at the heart of the only selection debate going into Leicester City, seems to have a clear run at right-back. Jamie Shackleton is not ready, while Luke Ayling has struggled to bring order to the backline when he has got onto the field.

Glen Kamara was man of the match last week and has no case to answer for retreating to the bench. Further forward, I would make my customary switch of Georginio Rutter and Joel Piroe, but on the flanks there is nothing to provoke changes.

Wilfried Gnonto and Jaidon Anthony need to do something from the bench if they are to get in ahead of Crysencio Summerville and Daniel James at the moment. The starters have been superb for several games.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. That’s my philosophy heading into this one after the Whites' phenomenal win over Leicester City last time out and that’s why I’m happy to make just one enforced change.

The loss of Pascal Struijk is a big one, in truth. He’s been in superb form for the Whites over the last couple of months and he’s clearly established himself as the best left-sided centre-back option at the club.

Liam Cooper has the chance to make something of a statement, though, this weekend, with the club captain stepping in to partner Joe Rodon in the backline, for me. The veteran struggled in his last start at Southampton, but he looked the part against Watford the previous week and his experience could play a key role against what promises to be a tough game Plymouth Argyle side.

Making a case for any change elsewhere is incredibly hard. Sam Byram struggled a little in the first half at the King Power Stadium, but, he’s still well ahead of the competition within the Leeds squad and clearly the best option, with all due respect to the fit again Junior Firpo, who can probably expect to come off the bench this week to claim his first minutes of the season.

Archie Gray isn’t a natural right-back, but he’s certainly doing a fine job there and he gets the nod over Luke Ayling for me ahead of Djed Spence’s expected return to fitness later this month. The midfield doesn’t need touching, nor do the wide positions.

The only question mark is surrounding Piroe, who was quiet at Leicester, I thought. He hasn’t scored in his last four, but he still possesses a big goal threat and, quite frankly, there doesn’t seem to be a clear back-up option to play in the number 10 role, which is something I believe Leeds have to address in the January window.

Piroe starts for me, then, behind Rutter, who I expect to start hitting the back of the net on a regular basis now.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Any link to th plymouth forum yet ?

Has DF been interviewed?

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Would assume in the squad then
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:32 pm Any link to th plymouth forum yet ?

Has DF been interviewed?
https://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=45717
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Signed

King Cjay

Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Don't like the fact that Pascal is away and Cooper is the potential replacement. Can't anyone see the problem with this? We are still relying on Cooper because there is no one else. Its about quality, Cooper was good in his day but we have to do better if our aim is to get back to the premier league as quickly as possible.... Its all key players that need cover, get these in place, are we are in good shape
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cheers, interesting read their thread.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The most interesting 3 posts :

Road End

Leeds following Argyle fan I work with says we need to put any corners right under the crossbar, mellia (keeper) is awful at dealing with them

Koala Green
🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Today at 2:11 AM
Clearly Leeds are confident, in form and Im
Impressed by Farke’s management and focus.
Key to this game is surviving first 20 mins, and subduing the crowd. Then we can go toe to toe with them. Secondly KKH needs to play where Summerville plays as he has electric pace. Edwards vs Summerville is not a contest we want to see.

Today at 10:33 AM
If they've picked Archie Gray at right back again instead of Luke Ayling then I really think Mumba needs to attack him. He's in the Alexander-Arnold mould of looking great going forward but rather ropey at times on the defensive front.

;@)
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

I dont think this game will be an easy 3 points as some have said. Yes we need to win it of course but i think some people are looking at this game and saying its only Plymouth.
For me its not about the tactics tomorrow, its about which team plays better football. What i mean is, we have better players than them but if our players dont show it then we could be in for a rocky ride. They seem to be decent going forward but maybe not great at the back, so hopefully our front 4 can click into gear and do the business for us.
If we dont go ahead early in the game i hope our fans dont start getting restless, that's the last thing we need.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

3 points no matter how we get them will do, same as every game, we can't keep making things difficult for ourselves though, we've got over the stoke game, moved on, no more excuses with bad tactics.
We're at home, we simply have to win, even if it's scrappy it will be acceptable.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I don't see why it shouldn't be the same approach as v Leicester.

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Think the first goal is key.

If we get it early I think we would control the game and pick them off like Huddersfield.

If they get it we will get a bit more desperate, crowd get edgy and they have the goals in the team to give us problems.

We are phenomenally inconsistent as we know hence why we are so far off the top 2.
Signed

King Cjay

malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Cjay wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:38 pm
Would assume in the squad then
Starting 11 will be interesting.
My guess is one change - Coops in for Pascal.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:33 am Think the first goal is key.

If we get it early I think we would control the game and pick them off like Huddersfield.

If they get it we will get a bit more desperate, crowd get edgy and they have the goals in the team to give us problems.

We are phenomenally inconsistent as we know hence why we are so far off the top 2.
Agreed, Cjay. I think a quick goal settles the team, especially given the change(s) in the backline. It also gets the crowd into the game from the off. I hope we're on them from the start like last match, nick a quick goal, then employ the selective press again.
In Farke we trust...
Leighton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Leighton »

Musicman1965 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:44 pm Don't like the fact that Pascal is away and Cooper is the potential replacement. Can't anyone see the problem with this? We are still relying on Cooper because there is no one else. Its about quality, Cooper was good in his day but we have to do better if our aim is to get back to the premier league as quickly as possible.... Its all key players that need cover, get these in place, are we are in good shape
I think he'll get away with it against Plymouth but see your point generally
Leighton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Leighton »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:33 am Think the first goal is key.

I woke up confident and excited for this game,...you'be now made me nervous and convinced this is a banana skin

Thanks CJ :lol:
Leighton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Leighton »

Leighton wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:17 am I woke up confident and excited for this game,...you've now made me nervous and convinced this is a banana skin

Thanks CJ :lol: