Preston North End v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Re: Preston North End v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Scoobychief »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:07 pm In fairness to Archie no one else spotted the danger for their second. It was odds on he’d go by him and there was no one covering that eventuality.
Stop squabbling amongst yourself like f**king little children we are not consistent enough to go back up automatically unless I'm proved wrong your all little happy clappers
Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:04 pm I got angry yesterday so I went out and stuck my head in the water feature. Sorted me right out.
It’s my new policy from now on.
Might try that on Friday evening :lol: :lol:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:51 pm

It is what it is - I am not a happy clapper I have no expectation that we will win every game.

Therefore when we lose I don’t have a tantrum.

Mes - stupid reaction but he will learn from it.
Me neither.
Nor do I
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

Does anyone else think that both players Melier and the Preston player should have been red carded!!???
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

SG90 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:05 pm As usual we have to wait until we lose to see some changes. Saturday took a lot out physically and emotionally, so no surprises we were flat today, with little turnaround. Plus the likes of Gray, James and Kamara have needed a rest for a long time. Reminds of me Bielsa thinking we never needed to rest players when they were clearly shot. He's just being stubborn.

U23s Luca Thomas, Sean McGurk and Connor Douglas are 3 that spring to mind. What's the point of having players like Poveda and Firpo on the bench instead?

January won't be anything other than a loan or 2. Too many pinning all their hopes on it.
I like the look of McGurk but when the answer are players who have never even featured on the bench then we are in a sorry state.

I think Farke is short on options personally. What he selects on the bench is no different to what 99% of managers do in his situation.

Realistically, unless you have a wonder kid you cannot promote an u23 and not select an experienced squad player. This is how you lose the dressing room.

He has already dispensed with Ayling, Cooper and Bamford from the starting 11. So in terms of squad progression he cannot be accused of lacking a progressive mentality.
Joseph came on instead of Bamford for example.

It underlines what he perceives (IMO) as a lack of depth that he keeps playing the same 11 for the most part. He only seems to be happy with about 3 other players for the most part.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:51 pm It is a desperate suggestion to blame the officiating. I thought the ref did well today. They were physical but these are battles a team needs to win.
Their second goal was due to our change of formation. Archie was exposed, because he didn’t have James helping out. We can blame Gnonto for not helping out but we do not know what instructions he was given when he came on. Take nothing away from the finish.

Swapping Archie and Spence may and may not have been the answer. With Byram potentially back for the next game I would be very surprised if that is not a natural selection in terms of Spence moving to his natural position.

For a 17 year old he has played a hell of a lot of minutes and looked leggy from the off. Millar is fresh as a daisy with a point to prove.

We need a run of wins again to get back into the mix. It is what it is - I am not a happy clapper I have no expectation that we will win every game.

Therefore when we lose I don’t have a tantrum.

Mes - stupid reaction but he will learn from it.
So poor performances against the likes of Birmingham Rotherham, Sunderland, Stoke, Preston are acceptable?

Remember our squad cost us over £100 million.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:16 pm I like the look of McGurk but when the answer are players who have never even featured on the bench then we are in a sorry state.

I think Farke is short on options personally. What he selects on the bench is no different to what 99% of managers do in his situation.

Realistically, unless you have a wonder kid you cannot promote an u23 and not select an experienced squad player. This is how you lose the dressing room.

He has already dispensed with Ayling, Cooper and Bamford from the starting 11. So in terms of squad progression he cannot be accused of lacking a progressive mentality.

It underlines what he perceives (IMO) as a lack of depth that he keeps playing the same 11 for the most part. He only seems to be happy with about 3 other players for the most part.
I agree with that post.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ben Scooby lufc wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:16 pm Does anyone else think that both players Melier and the Preston player should have been red carded!!???
Meslier raised his had to a player's face, that's an automatic red card offence, Ben.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:55 pm I said after the equaliser, a point would be good as we didn't play well. Trying to win it than protect the point, was very naive from Farke. We'd have still been 6 behind top 2 with a better GD.
Playing out for a draw is game management.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I wasn’t suggesting you were having a tantrum I was generalising.

If you consider how we seem able to dispatch the better teams of course poor results against less fancied teams are not comparatively acceptable.

But Leon we always do the Leedsy thing once expectations are raised. It was the same to some degree under Bielsa.

Our failings are magnified by the form and consistency of Ipswich and Leicester.

They are the most significant factor to the majority of reactions.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:17 pm So poor performances against the likes of Birmingham Rotherham, Sunderland, Stoke, Preston are acceptable?

Remember our squad cost us over £100 million.
Just because I don't rant doesn't mean I don't care or its acceptable to me Leon. I've done all the throwing my sky card across the room, kicking the door, screaming at the telly. But I'm done with that now. It doesn't help. Of course I want us to win every game 4 - 0 but it ain't gonna happen in this crazy league, especially when we keep getting clogged as well. So it's on to the next one for me. Come on Leeds....
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:22 pm Playing out for a draw is game management.
But some would have found fault with that decision Leon. You can't please everyone....
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:16 pm I like the look of McGurk but when the answer are players who have never even featured on the bench then we are in a sorry state.

I agree, but he spent £5m on Gruev and never plays him. Kamara and Ampadu have been crying out for a rest for weeks. I said after the Coventry game, that we must rotate over Christmas and not pick the same team for all 4 games. I'd like to see McGurk on the bench over Poveda.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:32 pm According to the dictionary it’s when you have a donkey in the car and you decide to stop and remove it. So in essence you are “dumping an ass” or “dump ass”.
Funnily enough it’s exactly what I’d do with Meslier.
Take him 100 miles in to the woods and “dump an ass”.
Finnish comedian Ismo
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:20 pm Meslier raised his had to a player's face, that's an automatic red card offence, Ben.
Not for me. He got a yellow, which was right. I never saw Mes as a hot head. They did a physical number on us today.
That was part of Farke calm down message for me. Gnonto isn’t a shrinking violet in such situations.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I'm now on the sherry....
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Johnthewhite wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:11 pm Might try that on Friday evening :lol: :lol:
I’ll be stripping off to go fully submerged on Friday most likely.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Scoobychief wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:09 pm Stop squabbling amongst yourself like f**king little children we are not consistent enough to go back up automatically unless I'm proved wrong your all little happy clappers
Season prediction was play offs at best.
I enjoy a win and don’t toss the toys out if we lose.
Balanced approach I’d say. You have to get some enjoyment out of a win though or you may as well give up the goat 🐐
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

SG90 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:27 pm I agree, but he spent £5m on Gruev and never plays him. Kamara and Ampadu have been crying out for a rest for weeks. I said after the Coventry game, that we must rotate over Christmas and not pick the same team for all 4 games. I'd like to see McGurk on the bench over Poveda.
Gruev is cover for Amps - I see no reason to drop or rest Amps personally. His performance level is consistent and he is important to the team.

What we do not have is a midfielder Bursting through the oppositions lines or making late runs into the box and getting on the score sheet.
He just doesn’t have this type of player.

Furthermore to add to the lack of central our threat Piroe does not look like a player who can take the ball on the half turn and accelerate into space.
In a contested midfield he disappears. For me because the other two sit so deep. Anyone recall seeing any triangle passages of play centrally.

McGurk looks like the type of player who can play progressively - whether he can do it at this level is a complete mystery to me. But I am sure Farke has looked at him and made his initial assessment.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:28 pm Not for me. He got a yellow, which was right. I never saw Mes as a hot head. They did a physical number on us today.
That was part of Farke calm down message for me. Gnonto isn’t a shrinking violet in such situations.
Check the referee's rule book. If a player raises his hand to the face, it's accountable to a red card.

Unfortunately, the majority of championship clubs are carrying out a physical number on us.