Leeds Utd v Norwich City Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Norwich City Match Thread

Post by malcolmw »

SG90 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:07 pm Not a great performance, but an important win. Some players are starting to look leggy and rotation needs to come into play.

Looking forward to Saturday now :)
If Pascal can be back before the next league game, that may give chance to rest a few.

Reckon we'll see quite a few changes for Plymouth. Gnonto for Rutter or Summerville, Shacks for Gray? Piroe for Bamford?
Worry about Rodon. Maybe Byrum - and leave Firpo at LB - dunno??
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

malcolmw wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:47 pm To me, of the top 4, Ipswich are the most likely to wobble in the final stretch.

Their April that you point out may be the tipping point. :duno:
I’ll drink to that! :beers: :beers:
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:43 pm Saved Anthony's back who was really poor, another bench player not good enough.
Surprised he was even on the list today to be honest - given the week he's had.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:07 pm Not a great performance, but an important win. Some players are starting to look leggy and rotation needs to come into play.

Looking forward to Saturday now :)
Farke was always going to make four or five changes for our cup game, maybe more now!

How can he rotate too much in our league games when he has only about 14 players at his disposal good enough at championship level.

That bench was piss-poor tonight, one enforced change who is a million miles behind James, going by his sub appearances.

Our other three subs were made between the 94th & 97th minutes, basically to protect our lead & also run the clock down.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:07 am Farke was always going to make four or five changes for our cup game, maybe more now!

How can he rotate too much in our league games when he has only about 14 players at his disposal good enough at championship level.

That bench was piss-poor tonight, one enforced change who is a million miles behind James, going by his sub appearances.

Our other three subs were made between the 94th & 97th minutes, basically to protect our lead & also run the clock down.
Our bench was a bit weak but that is what happens when you get a few injuries, can't have 30+ first teamers. 5 matches ago who would have thought that Firpo, Bamford and Gruev would be considered as preferred first team starters - now you wouldn't really think about dropping them and bringing back the players who were starting previously. For all our bench was 'piss poor' I think Cooper would start for more than half the championship teams, Byram and Piroe would likely start for most, Jaidon Anthony likely too based on what he did for Bournemotuh, We have already seen that Gyabi and Ayling who weren't featuring for us as now both starters for other championship sides.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:23 am Our bench was a bit weak but that is what happens when you get a few injuries, can't have 30+ first teamers. 5 matches ago who would have thought that Firpo, Bamford and Gruev would be considered as preferred first team starters - now you wouldn't really think about dropping them and bringing back the players who were starting previously. For all our bench was 'piss poor' I think Cooper would start for more than half the championship teams, Byram and Piroe would likely start for most, Jaidon Anthony likely too based on what he did for Bournemotuh, We have already seen that Gyabi and Ayling who weren't featuring for us as now both starters for other championship sides.
I agree Weasel. I remember saying just that a week or so ago - that we suddenly had a variety of options in defense and midfield.

The problem is also that in the Championship you can't bring in quality players to warm the bench - like City did with Kalvin!
Anyone who signs for a Championship side to strengthen the bench is either old, injured or seriously out of form (or all 3 😁).

Nice to have a cup game on the weekend to give some of the bench a good run.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I do not understand the downer on Anthony. He is to the best of my knowledge better on the left. Prefers the inverted role like a lot of modern day players.
He had some bad moments yesterday, which were focused on because of the fraught nature of the game. He had some good play also.
Like Gnonto he hasn’t had a huge amount of minutes. Gruev has only come to the fore because he has a run of games, same as Bamford and Firpo.

As Weasel pointed out all bench players for the majority of the season. James will likely get rested at the weekend. Anthony may well be starting with Gnonto. If the latter is fit enough to play. Let’s see how he does then / we have a habit of writing off players when they haven’t really had an opportunity.
lufcconnor

Post by lufcconnor »

Norwich had a decent game themselves but at the end of the day, we won and I'm so glad we did. We defended very well today even though a one goal lead is very nervy! We're doing fantastic at the moment and it's vital that we keep chasing the teams above us and putting the pressure on them. Said it before but this group of players are doing brilliant.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:22 am I do not understand the downer on Anthony. He is to the best of my knowledge better on the left. Prefers the inverted role like a lot of modern day players.
He had some bad moments yesterday, which were focused on because of the fraught nature of the game. He had some good play also.
Like Gnonto he hasn’t had a huge amount of minutes. Gruev has only come to the fore because he has a run of games, same as Bamford and Firpo.

As Weasel pointed out all bench players for the majority of the season. James will likely get rested at the weekend. Anthony may well be starting with Gnonto. If the latter is fit enough to play. Let’s see how he does then / we have a habit of writing off players when they haven’t really had an opportunity.
This ^ All of it.

What did Anthony do so wrong in your eyes Sid coming on in a game going at 100mph ?

You can't judge a player on 10min cameos, it's usually more down to luck if a 'supersub' happens to grab a goal,

The bench seemed ok to me, we had cover allover ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:22 am I do not understand the downer on Anthony. He is to the best of my knowledge better on the left. Prefers the inverted role like a lot of modern day players.

Sorry i said all of it. Not sure about the bit in bold now after last night, he left me wanting to see some more of him on the right, and i probably will on Saturday now.

You definitely do need a run of games so the manager can go over them with you about what he wants/doesn't want from you and where you went wrong/right.

I wouldn't mind seeing the game again to see what alteration DF made to our team to get us back on the front foot when Norwich came out all guns blazing 2nd half and had us under the cosh for a bit looking like they had extra men on the pitch, you usually only see that being live at the game. Our defence is looking even better with Ampadu in it rather than PS
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:42 am This ^ All of it.

What did Anthony do so wrong in your eyes Sid coming on in a game going at 100mph ?

You can't judge a player on 10min cameos, it's usually more down to luck if a 'supersub' happens to grab a goal,

The bench seemed ok to me, we had cover allover ?
You obviously didn't watch the same game as me, Anthony was on the pitch for 45 minutes, not a 10 minute cameo.

His dilly-dallying nearly cost us the game.

If the bench is that good, why did Farke only use one enforced substitution up to the 94th minute, DF knows the score, as he mentioned in his post press conference "our squad is small"

Any injuries to key players such as Rodon, Ampadu, James, Summerville, Rutter & Bamford & we'll struggle to win matches, as there isn't one bench player who comes close to their level. Piroe is decent, but he can't do the job Paddy provides our team.

We need to sign that Godfrey fella who would walk straight into our first XI as he can play CB & LB, every time Rodon goes down I shake with fear. Pascal is injured, Farke doesn't fancy Cresswell & knows the limitations of Cooper, who is coming to the end of his Leeds career.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Strange how Ipswich & Southampton substitutes effect games & don't have the same limitations as our lot.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:22 pm Not bad, not bad at all...

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFCDATA/status/175 ... gr%5Etweet
Liverpool
Aston Villa
Man City
Leeds United

Final 4
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:23 am Our bench was a bit weak but that is what happens when you get a few injuries, can't have 30+ first teamers. 5 matches ago who would have thought that Firpo, Bamford and Gruev would be considered as preferred first team starters - now you wouldn't really think about dropping them and bringing back the players who were starting previously. For all our bench was 'piss poor' I think Cooper would start for more than half the championship teams, Byram and Piroe would likely start for most, Jaidon Anthony likely too based on what he did for Bournemotuh, We have already seen that Gyabi and Ayling who weren't featuring for us as now both starters for other championship sides.
erm ..me. Certainly that they could become starters if needed, and even hold their place when injuries cleared up. I think the same of Gnonto, Cresswell, Piroe, Anthony, Hjelde, Fernandez and Kleasson, I reckon Poveda would be good given a run if James and Gnonto were out for a while

Most of our bench would start for most other clubs in the division, Gyabi is starting for Plymouth and he was nowhere near our bench..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:30 am Strange how Ipswich & Southampton substitutes effect games & don't have the same limitations as our lot.
For whatever reason, our substitutions are ineffective, and that's a combination of Farke not making them at all, not making them at the right time, not changing tactics and either not having any game changers on the bench, or not using players like Piroe in an effective way.

Norwich were pretty good, but I still felt like we should have ran out comfortable winners, but we didn't it.

We're playing some decent football, but not punishing teams. If we got these matches stitched up early we could then give players some pitch time. Anthony was rusty as heck last night, but I wouldn't be too harsh on him. He's hardly been given minutes and has just lost his Mother.

So if anyone should be given sympathy and leeway it's Jaidon Anthony, he needs a fair crack of the whip and he might be a good un.

I couldn't figure out why we came out in the second half and just sat in a low block and stopped pressing? Our defence ain't that good that we can do that, against anyone. It gave Norwich hope and they started pushing forward and exposing our weaknesses.

Meslier worries me. He has little to do, but still doesn't do it well. Doesn't like catching, or commanding his area, even when unchallenged. Suspect on the near post and has regularly conceded from the first shot on target.

I'd have stuck with Klaesson, as he did well while Meslier was suspended. Meslier can go for me in the summer, I just don't see the improvement. We can and need to do a lot better, especially as I expect we will get promoted, and things won't be so quiet at the back in the EPL.

Good result, but we do like to make life difficult for ourselves.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

I think the subs did exactly what they needed to do and that was to defend.

What with goalkeeper Gunn going into the box for set peices we needed Cooper who is a defender and Joseph who added some height

The substitutions worked because we survived... it is called game management.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:45 am erm ..me. Certainly that they could become starters if needed, and even hold their place when injuries cleared up. I think the same of Gnonto, Cresswell, Piroe, Anthony, Hjelde, Fernandez and Kleasson, I reckon Poveda would be good given a run if James and Gnonto were out for a while

Most of our bench would start for most other clubs in the division, Gyabi is starting for Plymouth and he was nowhere near our bench..
I think you overrate some of our players mate.

Only Gnonto & Piroe are likely to get minutes in Farke's team

Piroe has shown he is a goalscorer, but can't play the Bamford role.

Gnonto has generally been unproductive when given a chance.

Anthony has had one decent outing when we were comfortably 2-0 up against Watford, he was hopeless at Stoke & wasn't much better last night.

Hjelde has struggled in the cups against League One opposition.

As our mate Riot said to me as we walked back to the coach park, "I've seen nothing of Joseph to impress me". I agree with him, Joseph is one for the future & not ready for the hustle & bustle of the championship yet!

Poveda is a League One player imo!

Farke obviously doesn't rate Cresswell.

Klassson is the nice surprise for me, think he did well for us when called upon.

Byram is one I trust when he starts or comes on off the bench.

Btw, you were right about Firpo, maybe the championship is his level & Farke has instilled confidence into Junior's game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:30 am I think the subs did exactly what they needed to do and that was to defend.

What with goalkeeper Gunn going into the box for set peices we needed Cooper who is a defender and Joseph who added some height

The substitutions worked because we survived... it is called game management.
Three of the came on in the last three minutes of added-on-time to run the clock down,

Farke doesn't trust our subs to give them too many minutes.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Gnonto in dressing room after Norwich game. Read into it what you will
IMG_20240125_115650.jpg
Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:07 am Farke was always going to make four or five changes for our cup game, maybe more now!

So the likes of Piroe, Anthony, Gnonto, Byram, Cresswell and Shacks are no longer good enough for the Championship now? Lol.

Midfield is looking shot. Ampadu, Kamara and Rodon all need a rest at some point, as they play every international game too. Lack of rotation cost us 6 points over Christmas.