The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th March) Leeds hold massive bargaining chip in pursuit of top left back

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th March) Leeds hold massive bargaining chip in pursuit of top left back

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 12th March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds hold massive bargaining chip in pursuit of top left back

Media reports suggest that Luca Netz is a top target for Daniel Farke this Summer, but only if Leeds achieve promotion! The attacking left back applies his trade with Borussia Monchengladbach. He is regarded as one of the finest young defensive talents in the Bundesliga and he could prove to be a quality long-term prospect for the Whites, but his talents have not gone unnoticed.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester Utd have all sent scouts to Borussia Park this season to watch the exciting 20yo in action, but when it comes time to negotiate, Leeds may have the upper hand! Borussia Monchengladbach have Max Wober on loan, and won't want to lose him. The 26yo has made a massive impact for Gerry Seoane's side this season. He currently sit's fourth in their 'Whoscored' ratings with a respectable 6.90.

Come the Summer, Wober will still have three years left on his Leeds contract, and should they decide to sell him, will surely be able to command a fee greater than the £10m they splashed out fourteen months ago.

Was Piroe a bad buy

When the 49ers splashed out £12m on Joel Piroe last Summer, many assumed the Dutchman would be the man to spearhead Leeds back to the top flight. Whilst his contributions haven't gone unnoticed, he has slipped down the pecking order, during the second half of the campaign. Eleven goals and two assists from twenty-five starts would get him into most Championship starting line ups, yet his lack of pace whilst leading the line gave Farke cause for concern. He tinkered with his forward line, swapping Rutter and Piroe around, but to no avail.

Was Piroe a bad buy? No. Strikers carry a premium, and at 24, I'd be amazed if Leeds don't make a profit from him, if indeed, they decide to sell him this Summer.

Is Farke underrated?

Phil Hay has penned an interesting article, asking the question whether Daniel Farke is underrated?

Whilst Hay acknowledges that Farke had a pretty good squad to begin with, and was given the financial back-up that most Championship Managers could only dream of, what he is achieving this season is pretty special. You only need to go back to the Ridsdale era to realise that throwing money at a situation won't solve it. Every new face that arrived at Elland Road last Summer (apart from Darlow) has played their part this season, which on the balance of probability, and taking into account how players were queuing for the exit door is extraordinary!

The best way to frame his [Farke] impact is to say that in years and years of covering this club, of seeing coaches sink in the wet sand of irrational expectation, unhinged ownership, inadequate resources or whatever else was sent to drown them, it is difficult to think of one who has made the Leeds job look so smooth. It took time for him to get to this position, via bumps in August and either side of Christmas, but for weeks now he has been fairly free to stand on the touchline, hands in pockets, chin tucked into the neck of his black coat as the players do what he asks them to do."

Plainly, none of what is happening at Elland Road is wildly against the odds, even if last summer was more fraught than history is likely to record. Leeds found a way to give Farke the tools he needed, beyond the levels of the average Championship side, and he would have questions to answer if the play-offs were currently getting away from him.

But there is a difference between being given the tools and managing them properly. There is a difference between being given the tools and motivating them properly, coaxing players who are out of form back into it and keeping the show on the road. The perception at Leeds, going back years, is that they never do the second half of a season as well as the first. Since the turn of the year, they lead the form table by seven points.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th March) Leeds hold massive bargaining chip in pursuit of top left back

Post by The Subhuman »

OK, Piroe has seldom lead the line for us so that doesn't help the analysis at all

BMG wanting to keep Wober helps us not a jot regarding the wing back... It may make it easier for us to negotiate with the club but will have no leverage with the player at all. We'll have to offer relegation escape clauses and other considerations if the premiership elite teams want him too..

We'll have to out bid (for salary) and promise first team football while inserting a buy out or loan clause to get him to come ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th March) Leeds hold massive bargaining chip in pursuit of top left back

Post by Irish Ian »

Afternoon.

If you combined JKA, Aaronson, Kristensen, Roca and Brolin you wouldnt come across a worse piece of business as Joel Piroe

His 11 goals and two assists have only contributed to a yield of 39 points this season.

Stealing a wage by the sound, I would bin him off to the Premier League at the earliest.

Joel Piroe? More like Joel Purloin if you ask me.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:46 am Afternoon.

If you combined JKA, Aaronson, Kristensen, Roca and Brolin you wouldnt come across a worse piece of business as Joel Piroe

His 11 goals and two assists have only contributed to a yield of 39 points this season.

Stealing a wage by the sound, I would bin him off to the Premier League at the earliest.

Joel Piroe? More like Joel Purloin if you ask me.
:roflmao: :roflmao:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I don't know anything about Luca Netz but if the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manure are showing interest he probably won't end up with us even if we do get promoted. Only something to worry about after the season ends though.

Was Piroe a bad buy?
No but I must admit he isn't as good as I thought he was. He still has a part to play this season though.

DF is doing an excellent job, far beyond what I could have hoped for this season. Long may it continue.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
I don't think we need a LB now we've transformed firpo into roberto carlos

Piroe is good enough for this league and with 9 games to go, we'll need his experience

Yes Farke is very underrated especially by a few on here that still laud another manager
:shhh: :shhh:
Say no more
tempFileForShare_20240303-163504.jpg
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:12 am I don't know anything about Luca Netz but if the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manure are showing interest he probably won't end up with us even if we do get promoted. Only something to worry about after the season ends though.

Was Piroe a bad buy?
No but I must admit he isn't as good as I thought he was. He still has a part to play this season though.

DF is doing an excellent job, far beyond what I could have hoped for this season. Long may it continue.
He is overpriced if he doesn't take the next step. 12M in the championship is around 25-30 M in the premiership so a large outlay for us
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

No, Piroe isn't a bad buy, not at all. He was one of the best goal scorers in the Championship with Swansea not so long ago and it just hasn't worked out for him at Leeds, to date. Having said that he still has 11 goals to his name and for someone who some say isn't that good, that's not a bad return when he's not playing all the time.
Some players take longer to fit into a new side and show their proper worth for whatever reasons. Just look at Georgie this season, compared to last season, as an example.
Farke is a good manager but like all of them he will be a hero one week and a villain the next depending on results, and fickle fans. He`s a top man for Leeds and long may that continue.
No point talking about new players now for the Premiership, lets get there first and then talk about possibilities.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Netz will only matter if we get promoted, so let's cool our jets on PL signings a while longer please. Anyway, if the top 4 are chasing him we need to make other plans. We wasted so much time on Gakpo and the like previously it's silly to do that all again.

Piroe is still a fine striker but it's clear that Farke hasn't found the position/line up to get the most out of him yet. And as we have a winning system currently he's not going to change much to accommodate Piroe. Could still play a big part in the last 9 games, and he is an intimidating sub for opponents to see coming on.

Farke has been class in everything he has done since joining Leeds. The good news for us is that his primary mission is to prove to everyone that he can do it in the PL. The only thing that stesses me about Farke is his slowness in making substitutions. But he hasn't been proven wrong in doing that yet either, so what do I know?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I love the sound of this deal that could include getting shut of Wober, it could be a win win, especially if it means we finally start to see a return on some of our shite.

I have no problem at all with Piroe, you win some you lose some, and all is not lost yet.
He was bought to do a job in the Championship, with perhaps potential to do more, it is a bit of a surprise DF didn't know he was slow for the lone role, but was he ultimately found by DF or did he specifically ask for him or was it a statement from the 49ers ?
Either way, he was proven to finish, and £12m ain't huge these days, i also feel he might do better in a 4-4-2, but not many play it these days, and he's what i'd call - a bit of a luxury player, he could most definitely still have a part to play, but Josephs cameos have him now in front of Piroe for me for the lone role, especially as Rutter is doing well at 10. He's still a conundrum yet and needs to work on his sprinting, workrate and possibly fitness, movement is also an issue.

DF has brought quite a lot to the club, i've only had the one gripe away from home. There are so many pluses that i hope he gets the time he deserves.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

The thing with Piroe is that Farke and Martin (when at Swansea) both reckon he isn’t an out and out striker but an attacking midfielder who scores goals.
Pains me to say it but Lampard was very similar, didn’t set the world alight in midfield but knew where the net was.

Edit: as Kenny stated , he’d be ok in a front two but not many play that way.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

PIROE has no pace.
PIroe is fantastic in the 6 yard box.

Gnonto is a whining little runt he needs bitch slapped and sold to Everton.
Gnonto is a terror on the wing and I love the joy of his celebrations

Bamford is useless all he ever does is run about like a headless chicken, too old get rid
Bamford controls it on his chest and volleys it into the net... goal of the season.

James is hopeless,when Manure sold him they were laughing all the way to the bank
James is finally showing the promise that Bielsa knew he had.

Summerville is burnt out, and he has been found out, one trick pony always cutting inside.
Summerville will be playing for Holland soon, all the big teams in the premiership want him.

Rutter has been found out always running into a cul-de-sac
Rutter is just glorious the way he can split a defence open with a pin point pass

Players become the flavour of the month when they do well, but let them have bad day at the office then they are beaten mercilessly with the stick of rage and confusion, and once you have used that stick you can never go back, you can never change your opinion for then you would loose face... and if you are continuously positive about a player those that are set in their way and don't like him will tell you to remove your rose tinted glasses.

The only way to avoid these conflicts of opinion is for the team to win every single game... and that is just not going to happen, but I for one would like to see the best in the team and players.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:39 am OK, Piroe has seldom lead the line for us so that doesn't help the analysis at all

BMG wanting to keep Wober helps us not a jot regarding the wing back... It may make it easier for us to negotiate with the club but will have no leverage with the player at all. We'll have to offer relegation escape clauses and other considerations if the premiership elite teams want him too..

We'll have to out bid (for salary) and promise first team football while inserting a buy out or loan clause to get him to come ...
Piroe was bought in to score goals, just as he has done for the last few years, hence the 'leading the line' comment.

How does it not help that we could use Wober as a bargaining chip, to help us land Netz.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:46 pm Piroe was bought in to score goals, just as he has done for the last few years, hence the 'leading the line' comment.

How does it not help that we could use Wober as a bargaining chip, to help us land Netz.
But he has lead the line maybe once as a starter and even then was switched back to midfield... What Farke bought him for must be unknown because he's a midfielder atm. I think Farke even said he wanted arriving late into the box, the very definition of a Gerrard or Lampard

You can't lead the line from deep
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Sean_Nile wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:27 pm PIROE has no pace.
PIroe is fantastic in the 6 yard box.

Gnonto is a whining little runt he needs bitch slapped and sold to Everton.
Gnonto is a terror on the wing and I love the joy of his celebrations

Bamford is useless all he ever does is run about like a headless chicken, too old get rid
Bamford controls it on his chest and volleys it into the net... goal of the season.

James is hopeless,when Manure sold him they were laughing all the way to the bank
James is finally showing the promise that Bielsa knew he had.

Summerville is burnt out, and he has been found out, one trick pony always cutting inside.
Summerville will be playing for Holland soon, all the big teams in the premiership want him.

Rutter has been found out always running into a cul-de-sac
Rutter is just glorious the way he can split a defence open with a pin point pass

Players become the flavour of the month when they do well, but let them have bad day at the office then they are beaten mercilessly with the stick of rage and confusion, and once you have used that stick you can never go back, you can never change your opinion for then you would loose face... and if you are continuously positive about a player those that are set in their way and don't like him will tell you to remove your rose tinted glasses.

The only way to avoid these conflicts of opinion is for the team to win every single game... and that is just not going to happen, but I for one would like to see the best in the team and players.
Yet we are still having conflicts - damn that point v Huddersfield or everything would be rosy.

Where would we be without Piroe's contribution earlier in the season? We'd have been reliant on either Gelhardt or an unfit and unconfident Bamford. The season could easily have been over very quickly.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:06 pm But he has lead the line maybe once as a starter and even then was switched back to midfield... What Farke bought him for must be unknown because he's a midfielder atm. I think Farke even said he wanted arriving late into the box, the very definition of a Gerrard or Lampard

You can't lead the line from deep
I think you are right which is why he was played as the no.10. The trouble though was that with Rutter marauding all over the pitch it wasn't like he was occupying the central defenders. As such Piroe didn't get pockets of space to run into when arriving late. I still feel a Piroe & Bamford, or Piroe and Joseph combination could work well, maybe not as flambouyant as with Rutter but with them both scoring goals.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:16 pm I think you are right which is why he was played as the no.10. The trouble though was that with Rutter marauding all over the pitch it wasn't like he was occupying the central defenders. As such Piroe didn't get pockets of space to run into when arriving late. I still feel a Piroe & Bamford, or Piroe and Joseph combination could work well, maybe not as flambouyant as with Rutter but with them both scoring goals.
He's not really playing the 10 either, recently he's been playing alongside Kamara.... I don't think a Piroe/Bamford partnership would work because there's no pace at all there or much creativity. It could work every now and then but not on a regular basis.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:14 pm Yet we are still having conflicts - damn that point v Huddersfield or everything would be rosy.

Where would we be without Piroe's contribution earlier in the season? We'd have been reliant on either Gelhardt or an unfit and unconfident Bamford. The season could easily have been over very quickly.
Might be wrong but I don’t think we’ve lost a game that Piroe has scored in. As meaningless a stat as XG, probably, but there you go I’ll say it anyway.