The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th March) Archie can finally shake off '17yo' tag line

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th March) Archie can finally shake off '17yo' tag line

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 13th March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Archie can finally shake off '17yo' tag line

Archie Gray can finally shake off the '17yo' tag line that has become synonymous every time he's kicked a ball this season. With over 3000 minutes on the clock already, Gray has become an essential part of Daniel Farke's set up. This may be his maiden season in the first team, but he has already been recognised as Leeds best tackler in the side.

His efforts on the pitch have not gone unnoticed. He has been linked with a £50m Summer move to Anfield, though much will depend on what division Leeds find themselves in next season. You have to feel sorry for the lad. He couldn't even step into a club or bar with his mates - but not any more..... Now that he has turned 18, maybe now Gray can be recognised more for his talents, rather than his age.

He could receive a late Birthday present in the form of an England U21 call up from team Manager Lee Carsley for their forthcoming matches against Azerbaijan and Luxemburg.

Can Firpo do a job in the top flight

Junior Firpo has long been a target for the Elland Road boo boys, but under the guidance of Daniel Farke, the 27yo may prove his doubters wrong. After missing the majority of the first half of the season due to injury, Firpo had slipped off the radar of most Leeds fans. A new left back was top of their Christmas wish list coming into the January transfer window, yet Leeds held firm, even after returning Djed Spence back to Spurs in disgrace.

In eleven starts, and a total of 1041 minutes of Championship game time, the Dominican Republic International has contributed five assists, the fourth highest in the squad. His all round contributions have massively improved too. With a 'Whoscored' ranking of 6.94, Firpo has risen to seventh in the Leeds Utd's ratings. Just like Marcelo Bielsa achieved with Liam Cooper, it seems that Daniel Farke is starting to get the best out the former Barcelona defender. Bearing this in mind, if Leeds were to achieve promotion next season, would you like to see Firpo stay?

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th March) Archie can finally shake off '17yo' tag line

Post by lufc1304 »

Difficult for pundits and fans not to allude to how young Archie is. He may be 18 now, but I don't see that stopping, he's a big talent, whether he can legally buy a pint now or not. Will continue to be referred to as "young Archie", I'd imagine.

In a word, no. Firpo has improved, be churlish to argue otherwise, but we wouldn't be on the front foot anything like as much in the Prem and all his defensive frailties would be exposed. He might be ok as a wing back if we played with three CHs, but as a straight LB, he'd be found out very quickly, imo.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th March) Archie can finally shake off '17yo' tag line

Post by Chilli D »

Regarding Archie Gray, I think I'm correct in saying he has not been allowed to change with the rest of the squad as he was still considered a minor?
Incredible to see how well he has coped this season at just 17.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
Young Archie will be young Archie for a few years yet, at least till someone else breaks through, maybe Harry !!!
That would be amazing, like Eddie & Frank together.

Firpo, absolutely a flat NO from me.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

It's worth noting elsewhere, Victor Gyorkes has been linked with a move to Arsenal in the summer, he has an £85M release clause !!
Can't help but think we missed a great striker there when we had the opportunity.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:43 am Regarding Archie Gray, I think I'm correct in saying he has not been allowed to change with the rest of the squad as he was still considered a minor?
Incredible to see how well he has coped this season at just 17.
Correct.

Safeguarding measures prevented him from changing with the ‘men’’. Presumably that changes now.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Now it is 18yo Archie.

£50m would be a huge fee at his age and I can't see anyone paying it..

Firpo has finally been fit to do what he was signed to do. Recall his first game..

https://youtu.be/vAKxk6eFeos?si=84RyfHp9CF-ySumq
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Now it is 18yo Archie.

£50m would be a huge fee at his age and I can't see anyone paying it..

Firpo has finally been fit to do what he was signed to do. Recall his first game..

https://youtu.be/vAKxk6eFeos?si=84RyfHp9CF-ySumq
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

The Irish YouTuber (Ger) suggested on one of his recent content video’s - quoting a piece in the Athletic that the club are looking to off load Firpo in the summer, come what may. He will have one year left of his existing contract and they are not going to offer him a new one.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:42 pm The Irish YouTuber (Ger) suggested on one of his recent content video’s - quoting a piece in the Athletic that the club are looking to off load Firpo in the summer, come what may. He will have one year left of his existing contract and they are not going to offer him a new one.
I'd have said Firpo should stick around next year as a squad player. And hopefully we can sign a better first choice LB. But if it is his last season, then clearly we have to offload him too.

Agree with the general consensus about his good attacking abilities but defensive frailties. He's too prone to lapses of concentration leading to simple mistakes. You'd hope he could develop that part of his game. But he is 27 already.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Happy to let Farke decide who to keep whether we go up or not.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:29 pm Happy to let Farke decide who to keep whether we go up or not.
Trust in Farke :tup:
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Can you imagine having to change in the bogs when you have been so good this season.

Its a no nay never, no nay never no more for Firpo. I like repeating myself so. We must not get carried away this season. Burnley were special in this league last season Connor Roberts flying in that team. When we are under the cosh (which we will be most weeks) Firpo struggles.

I say Cash in why he still may be worth something.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Youth is a dream, a form of chemical madness... a seething cauldron of hormonal juices cruising through your veins and giving you super human energy. The brain explodes with thoughts of women and sex. You have an appetite for life and you want to suck the marrow out of it, experience everything it has to offer.

George Bernard Shaw said "Youth is wasted on the young" When you are old and the spark has left your bones, you have the experience but not the energy.

when you’re young
a pair of
female
high-heeled shoes
just sitting
alone
in the closet
can fire your
bones;
when you’re old
it’s just
a pair of shoes
without
anybody
in them
and
just as
well.

The warm sun makes old men sit down and young men sweat and run fast bare chested.

Let Archie enjoy his football... and leave aside the things that frazzle the brains of us mere mortals.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Happy 18th Birthday to Archie!!! :tup: 8-)

I'm happy to let DF make the decision on Firpo. I trust him!!

In my opinion he is still a defensive liability. But he HAS improved this season. I believe fitness is a big part of that. Whether that translates to the Premier League is still debatable.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

weasel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:29 pm Happy to let Farke decide who to keep whether we go up or not.
Likewise. And I'll support whoever stays.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:26 pm Happy 18th Birthday to Archie!!! :tup: 8-)

I'm happy to let DF make the decision on Firpo. I trust him!!

In my opinion he is still a defensive liability. But he HAS improved this season. I believe fitness is a big part of that. Whether that translates to the Premier League is still debatable.
I think about a mistake in the last game where he miskicked a back pass. And a few games ago when he received a simple pass and let it run under his foot for a throw in.

He's been more than adequate for this division. And better than that going forward. Personally, I can't see him being good enough for the PL. But Farke is much more knowledgeable than any of us.
ruttermania
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ruttermania »

To my mind Firpo had a poor first half and an excellent second half against Wednesday so it really seems to be a confidence thing where the cross for Bamford was the catalyst for the improvement. He has had such a poor run with injuries after he initially arrived and then when he did come in it was in the context of a struggling team with no coherent strategy that I would be inclined to let the season pan out before coming to a conclusion . As several people have pointed out we have to trust in the ultimate decision that DF and the recruitment team come to as they will have formed a view based on all of the information available to them . I think DF will know that if we get promoted this will be his best opportunity to prove that he has the ability to manage in the premiership and in order to do that he will have to put in place a squad that will maximise his chances of doing so . As much as his experiences with Norwich gave him the know how to challenge for promotion this season his 1 and a 1/2 seasons in the Premiership will inform his discussions with the recruitment team if we do make it up. I would be fairly certain that he has a clear picture as to how the failure to back him made Norwich's relegations happen and he won't allow any false sentimentality to prevent him from making the decisions necessary to streamline and strengthen the squad.