Leeds Utd v Millwall Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Millwall Match Thread

Post by Cjay »

Sunday 17th March 3:00pm | Elland Road

They'll be no love lost when Neil Harris' Millwall visit Elland Road on Sunday afternoon. With Leicester City in FA Cup action at Stamford Bridge, Leeds have the chance to go top, but the boys from Bermondsey would like nothing more than to scupper their plans. Fourteen places and thirty six points separate the two teams, though come match day anything can happen! The two sides last met six months to the day of Sunday's fixture, with the Whites running out 3-0 victors curtesy of goals from Piroe x2 and Rutter.

Leeds have no fresh injury concerns. Ethan Ampadu will once again deputise for Pascal Struijk who is recovering from a groin injury. Junior Firpo is likely to be preferred over Sam Byram at left back, whilst on the other flank Archie Gray plays his first match as an adult, having turned 18 on Tuesday! Wilfred Gnonto will fight it out with Dan James for the right wing role, whilst the rest of the team picks itself. It seems unlikely that we'll see Stuart Dallas in action again.

Manager Daniel Farke addressed the media ahead of the game providing insights into the team's preparations and player updates. Farke revealed both positive and negative news on the injury front, with Anthony and Shackleton returning but Struijk facing a potential lengthy absence due to a cartilage issue. He highlighted the significant progress made by younger players and commended the consistency and maturity shown by Ampadu, acknowledging the challenge of managing his workload to keep him fresh for upcoming fixtures.

With a hectic schedule ahead, Farke emphasized the need to focus solely on the Millwall game while considering the players' physical condition. He acknowledged the formidable challenge posed by a resurgent Millwall side under the management of Neil Harris but expresses optimism in Leeds form and mindset. As Leeds brace for a crucial period with international commitments looming, Farke's measured approach highlights the need for balance between immediate challenges and long-term objectives, ensuring the team remains competitive and resilient amidst a congested fixture calendar.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Millwall pre match chat

Post by 1964white »

Let's hope Neil Harris doesn't spoil our party next Sunday.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:42 pm Let's hope Neil Harris doesn't spoil our party next Sunday.
They've certainly picked up since he went back there. Seems to be the right fit in Bermondsey, as a player and manager.
Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

I think this game will be a tough test for us, they would see taking our unbeaten home record as winning the FA cup. Harris will have them bang up for this and we will need to be ready for them. Now is not the time to take our foot off the pedal.
Come on boys
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Could be tricky this, Millwall picked up some form the last few games.

Rodon, Ampadu, James, Roberts and Kamara all have their biggest game of the season a few days later and could be forgiven for having an eye on the semi final.
Then the winners are in the final a few days after that.
A few days after that and it’s Watford away - not much recovery time.

Enjoy 😁
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

No doubt staff & players will be having a few well deserved days off ahead of this one. Hopefully that doesn't affect our rhythm as our boys are simply not used to twiddling their thumbs whilst waiting nine days to play.

Also maybe this would be a good time to bring Cooper back in, move Archie into midfield and give Joseph a start up top.

Hey why not bring Klaesson back in goal and then see if we can get Jesse back from his gardening leave to give Farke a rest as well.

:)
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Yes Neil Harris has turned things around there but it took a 90th goal to beat Birmingham 1-0 today so they're hardly pulling up trees.
We're at home and the players will be fully rested so I fully expect us to win.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

It will be another bruising often brutal encounter, they will come to bully us, they know we don't react like other teams and feign injury or do the dark arts, they will be out to spoil.
Up to us to stick with the plan and win, which we will, hopefully.
Hope there isn't a motorway closure like there has been today, total chaos round J27.
I don't care how we win it, just win it, we could be top next sunday, psycholigal could set in with leicester.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jammy 07 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:34 pm No doubt staff & players will be having a few well deserved days off ahead of this one. Hopefully that doesn't affect our rhythm as our boys are simply not used to twiddling their thumbs whilst waiting nine days to play.
Good point, Jammy.
Jammy 07 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:34 pmAlso maybe this would be a good time to bring Cooper back in, move Archie into midfield and give Joseph a start up top.

Hey why not bring Klaesson back in goal and then see if we can get Jesse back from his gardening leave to give Farke a rest as well.
:rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Jammy 07 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:34 pm No doubt staff & players will be having a few well deserved days off ahead of this one. Hopefully that doesn't affect our rhythm as our boys are simply not used to twiddling their thumbs whilst waiting nine days to play.

Also maybe this would be a good time to bring Cooper back in, move Archie into midfield and give Joseph a start up top.

I'm sure Victor would love to help out by coming back as well :shhh: Not much is going on at Sevilla at the moment, or so I hear.
In Farke we trust...
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'm not usually a massive fan of rotation and 'resting' players, especially on a winning streak. But after Chelsea and the changes made for that, it appears he's got the whole squad on the same page, and a lot of positions now where i'm not reet arsed who plays there.

Roberts/Gray - They both have different qualities and i don't see any bother playing either or.

Firpo/Byram - Same really, i prefer Byram for defensive stuff, but jeez that ball pinged in by Firpo was special and in this weak Championship we can usually get away with him, especially as DF has worked cover into Kamara and Ampadu for him, i also reckon he could ping in a fair corner if tried, coz others are pretty useless.

Ampadu is proving to be most valuable with his versatility, i feel he could play RCH and LCH along with his midfield role.

I could carry on, going right through every single position, and it's testament to the work DF has done with all, Piroe is the only conundrum, who doesn't quite fit the specific 9 role or the 10 role, but is still handy to have in the wings.

They have a rest now till Sunday so ALL should be well rested and recovered, so it's :

Millwaw - Home - 17th March - 1 full week from now, and i hope they have a mini break, or that might be when the proper break comes, so perhaps let the international players have a break coz they'll be on duty, no need to rest anyone really for Millwaw.

But then it's - Watford away 29th - then 2 days later - Hull home, now this is where he'll probably be juggling, you mention Cooper, it wouldn't bother me 1 iota for Cooper to play either/or, and it will be interesting what he does, but up to now, he must be getting something right with his massage/backroom staff and his management of the players. Yes, we've been thru that bad run of travelling away fixtures, but overall they've been quite kind and lucky like above, he's rode them well and luckily again we've come thru unscathed.

No game will come easy now, but this mini break to next week, and then when the Welsh lads come back, with hopefully no injuries could see DF tinkering a little.

Anyhoos, it's a credit to him after our first few games to have built himself cover all over the place, and a now strong bench to boot.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Easter always throws up some strange results, lets hope we don't suffer too much, 4 points from the 6 wouldn't be too bad, 6 out of 6 would be far better like,
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:50 am

They have a rest now till Sunday so ALL should be well rested and recovered, so it's :

Millwaw - Home - 17th March - 1 full week from now, and i hope they have a mini break, or that might be when the proper break comes, so perhaps let the international players have a break coz they'll be on duty, no need to rest anyone really for Millwaw.

No game will come easy now, but this mini break to next week, and then when the Welsh lads come back, with hopefully no injuries could see DF tinkering a little.
Although I think they may get a day or two off I think it will boil down to the fact it is training rather than matches that will benefit them as they should hopefully not be subject to getting fouled and kicked on ankles etc during training.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

FUN FACTS

Millwall's first home game was on a piece of waste ground on Glengall Road against St Luke's, on 24 October 1885, which they won 2–1.

Millwall Rovers found a better playing surface for the 1886–87 season, at the rear of the Lord Nelson pub and it became known as the Lord Nelson Ground
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:31 am Although I think they may get a day or two off I think it will boil down to the fact it is training rather than matches that will benefit them as they should hopefully not be subject to getting fouled and kicked on ankles etc during training.
Yeah i like to think he's doing that, training doesn't have to be grueling, if i was a manager i'd treat a hard game as part of the training,

Surely this full week now before Millwaw can be easily managed to get the players prime for it, diet nutrition advice, sports science bollocks, massages, state of the art facilities etc etc, and now a full week off to get treatment on any muscular aches, jeez they don't know they're feckin born, and then £70k a week dropping into your account.

They should now have sometime with their families, get on the golf course or whatever, and in between get them in and go over each individually, then together. You could even pick your team v Millwaw and play them against the 'B's
Then pick your likely team to play Hull and play them against the ones that aren't playing.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:40 am FUN FACTS

Millwall's first home game was on a piece of waste ground on Glengall Road against St Luke's, on 24 October 1885, which they won 2–1.

Millwall Rovers found a better playing surface for the 1886–87 season, at the rear of the Lord Nelson pub and it became known as the Lord Nelson Ground
What year did their fans become racist twats ?

;@)
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:50 am I'm not usually a massive fan of rotation and 'resting' players, especially on a winning streak. But after Chelsea and the changes made for that, it appears he's got the whole squad on the same page, and a lot of positions now where i'm not reet arsed who plays there.

Roberts/Gray - They both have different qualities and i don't see any bother playing either or.

Firpo/Byram - Same really, i prefer Byram for defensive stuff, but jeez that ball pinged in by Firpo was special and in this weak Championship we can usually get away with him, especially as DF has worked cover into Kamara and Ampadu for him, i also reckon he could ping in a fair corner if tried, coz others are pretty useless.

Ampadu is proving to be most valuable with his versatility, i feel he could play RCH and LCH along with his midfield role.

I could carry on, going right through every single position, and it's testament to the work DF has done with all, Piroe is the only conundrum, who doesn't quite fit the specific 9 role or the 10 role, but is still handy to have in the wings.

But then it's - Watford away 29th - then 2 days later - Hull home, now this is where he'll probably be juggling, you mention Cooper, it wouldn't bother me 1 iota for Cooper to play either/or, and it will be interesting what he does, but up to now, he must be getting something right with his massage/backroom staff and his management of the players. Yes, we've been thru that bad run of travelling away fixtures, but overall they've been quite kind and lucky like above, he's rode them well and luckily again we've come thru unscathed.

Anyhoos, it's a credit to him after our first few games to have built himself cover all over the place, and a now strong bench to boot.
Some good observations there but for me continuity of selection for the remaining nine games will be key. The strong bench will definitely come into play though during each and every game.

With hindsight we can now see that the 3rd Cup tie away at Peterborough was pivotal because that's the game Farke moved Ampedu into the back four and we haven't looked back since. Now why that happened we don't know, perhaps Cooper was carrying a knock but as Coops had started the previous 2 league games we all thought he was going to get an extended run in the team due to Pascal's injury.

That's not to disparage Cooper as a player but clearly we're a better side with Ampedu in his place and to change that at any point during the remaining games could be potentially very costly.

After the Hull game there's only one more midweek fixture which again should work in our favour, but of course injuries might yet still play a part.
Last edited by Jammy 07 on Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Is there a better manager anywhere for this run in than Farke ?

Been there and done it twice so surely knows how to handle a team that's on the march towards promotion.
Last edited by Jammy 07 on Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jammy 07 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:29 am Some good observations there but for me continuity of selection for the remaining nine games will be key. The strong bench will definitely come into play though during each and every game.

With hindsight we can now see that the 3rd Cup tie away at Peterborough was pivotal because that's the game Farke moved Ampedu into the back four and we haven't looked back since. Now why that happened we don't know, perhaps Cooper was carrying a knock but as Coops had started the previous 2 league games we all thought he was going to get an extended run in the team due to Pascal's injury.

That's not to disparage Cooper as a player but clearly we are a better side with Ampedu in his place and to change that at any point during the remaining games could be potentially very costly.

After the Hull game there's only one more midweek fixture which again should work in our favour, but of course injuries might yet still play a part.
I'm really only looking at the options he's created for himself with Ampadu, and although i feel Gruev is doing just fine,
Ampadu/Gray ...and
Ampadu/ Kamara...works better

Like i've said it's good he's created this for himself, and we've most likely got Pascal to return after the break to give himself more options.

;@)
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:36 am
Ampadu/Gray ...and
Ampadu/ Kamara...works better
Our results would very much suggest otherwise.