The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 25th March) - Former Leeds Star Coy About Summer Return

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 25th March) - Former Leeds Star Coy About Summer Return

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 25th March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Former star coy about Summer return

Charlie Taylor has once again being linked to a return to where it all began for him fourteen years ago. The versatile left back is reaching the end of his tenure at Burnley, and will be a free agent in several months time; and according to the Yorkshire Evening Post, Leeds are strongly considering re-signing him. By the early stages of next season, Taylor will be 31. It's fair to say his best years are behind him, and as such, I'm not sure what he can bring to the party; especially if he's considered not good enough for Burnley.

The left back position has long been a contentious issue, and needs fixing once and for all. Under Daniel Farke, Junior Firpo has proved to be a useful ally, especially in advanced areas, but still remains a chink in the armour defensively, even at Championship level. Much will depend on whether Leeds win promotion, then they have the decision whether to rebuild or consolidate; if its the latter Firpo, Dallas and Byram (as well as Cooper, Shackleton and Gelhardt) have no place at Elland Road next season.

When asked about his future, Taylor gave nothing away, stating: “I’m not really concentrating on anything past the summer, I’m just happy to be playing every week. I’m enjoying my football and trying to do the best for this club and get us as far up the table and out of trouble as much as I possibly can.”

Whites may need to top century barrier to guarantee promotion

Chris Dunlavy, the Chief Writer of the Football League Paper believes the Whites may need to break the hundred point barrier to ensure promotion back to the top flight! Whilst Leeds currently top the Championship, only a point separates the top three, not to mention Leicester City have a game in hand. Southampton may be nine points behind, but they have two games in hand, and travel up to Portman Road a week today.

Not only that, there's still that matter of the last game of the season. Theoretically, all top four clubs may still be fighting it out for a top two finish on the last day of the season (xanax at the ready)! According to Dunlavy, Leeds are on course to finish three points behind Leicester on 99 points, two points clear of Ipswich, and six clear (93) of Southampton.

Never in the history of the Championship has 93 points not been good enough for automatic promotion, yet they are predicted fourth. Leeds currently have 82 points on the board, with 24 to play for. This would mean dropping seven points between now and the rest of the season.

So imperious is Leeds’ current form that you wouldn’t bet against them (getting 100) - and with Leicester, Ipswich and Southampton all in the race, a three-figure total may be essential if the Whites are to seal an instant return to the Premier League. If all four teams in the race for automatic promotion kept collecting points at their current rate, Leicester (who have a game in hand on Leeds) would finish top on 102, Leeds would claim second with 99 and Ipswich would take third on 98. Russell Martin’s Saints, meanwhile, would trail home fourth on 93 - enough to guarantee a top-two place in all but a couple of the last 30 second-tier seasons.

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 25th March)

Post by Chilli D »

As I said elsewhere, six wins from our final eight games will give us 100 points and I'm convinced that will be enough for top 2.
So, I think we have the luxury of being able to lose two games but obviously rather we didn't lose any and we cruise to promotion.
Having so many players playing international football so close to the Watford game is a bit of a worry but hopefully we will come through it.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:53 am As I said elsewhere, six wins from our final eight games will give us 100 points and I'm convinced that will be enough for top 2.
So, I think we have the luxury of being able to lose two games but obviously rather we didn't lose any and we cruise to promotion.
Having so many players playing international football so close to the Watford game is a bit of a worry but hopefully we will come through it.
100 points / 6 wins sounds like it should get us where we need.

Big flaw in the analysts assumptions is that he was looking at whole season points per game averages. The last 3 months form is much more relevant and shows a different picture (Leeds and Ipswich in the top 2).

Charlier Taylor...don't see the point in going back. Past his peak and would be better than what we have? Might provide solidity for 1 season if Bryam can't do that role.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all
CT should have been in now but as it happens we've got by without him, firpo can't do a proper job in this league so dread to think what he'll be like in the PL, CT is actually a LB, but we ought to be looking for a younger model .

It takes what points it does to get promoted, this season is just so unusual in the fact 4 teams could be fighting on the very last day and all with a massive points tally.
It will be gutting if we miss out on automatic.
I know it sounds simple, but we just have to keep doing what we're doing, DF has the making of this team, he won't let anyone get carried away.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I've got us finishing on 102 points.

Hope I'm right.

Too late to sign Charlie Taylor now, he'll be 31yo come the beginning of next season, surely the pace & energy he possessed will be slowing down considerably in the next two seasons, maybe it already has.
No thank you!
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Charlie Taylor gets talked about every window. Worth talking about if we're still in the championship. But not if we get promoted.

Talked about the points so many times across other threads, 2 really good teams are going to miss out. But maybe someone will lose their nerve and fold. As it is, we just have to keep winning.