Leeds Utd v Hull City Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Hull City Match Thread

Post by Cjay »

Monday 1st April 8:00pm | Elland Road

Leeds will be looking to bounce back from their disappointing draw at Vicarage Road on Good Friday with the visit of Hull City on Easter Monday. A below par Leeds side had to come from behind twice to grab a share of the spoils, but lost top spot to Ipswich Town as a result. Nevertheless, three points will be expected, against a Hull City side with no wins in five, including a surprise 2-0 home defeat last against Stoke City last time out!

Liam Rosenior's side still have promotion desires of their own, and are only six points shy off a play off place, however defeat to Stoke has damaged their hopes and they are now winless in five matches. Ninth-placed Hull went into the game badly needing three points after four straight draws had seen teams above them pull away, while Stoke are among a cluster of sides battling relegation.

72 hours doesn't give Daniel Farke's side much recovery time, so we can expect to see Wilfred Gnonto, Conor Roberts and Ilia Gruev remain sidelined, alongside long term absentee's Pascal Struijk and Stuart Dallas. It will be hoped that Ethan Ampadu will start alongside Joe Rodon in central defence, and Sam Byram switches to right back (where he looks a lot more comfortable. This will allow Archie Gray to operate in midfield, where he is best. The visitors will be without Jacob Greaves (suspended) and Liam Delap (knee). 38 year old Billy Sharp is likely to be among their substitutes.

The two teams last met back in September before Leeds has got in their groove, playing out a 0-0 draw. Hull started the game, much the brighter, but soon found themselves on the back foot. Leeds front line of Piroe, Rutter and Gnonto caused Tigers keeper (and man of the match winner) Ryan Allsop all kinds of problems throughout the game. Liam Rosenior's team spent large chunks of the game with ten men behind the ball, so much so, that at times the statistical heat maps around the Hull penalty area were more reminiscent of recent forest fires that swept through Europe. The best chance of the game, fell to Hull, right at the end, but just like they had done all game, were unable to muster a shot on target.

Spring Offer! Get NordVPN with up to 69% off + 3 months free...

Last edited by Cjay on Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Hull pre match chat

Post by The Subhuman »

But just got beaten at home to Stoke ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:29 pm But just got beaten at home to Stoke ...
Better vs the better teams as I said
Signed

King Cjay

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Hull City Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds United v Hull City
Monday 1st April@20:00 | Elland Road

Leeds will be looking to bounce back from their disappointing draw at Vicarage Road on Good Friday with the visit of Hull City on Easter Monday.

A below par Leeds side had to come from behind twice to grab a share of the spoils, but lost top spot to Ipswich Town as a result. Nevertheless, three points will be expected, against a Hull City side with no wins in five, including a surprise 2-0 home defeat last against Stoke City last time out!

Liam Rosenior's side still have promotion desires of their own, and are only six points shy off a play off place; but with just seven games left, they must start turning draws into wins.

72 hours doesn't give Daniel Farke's side much recovery time, so we can expect to see Wilfred Gnonto, Conor Roberts and Ilia Gruev remain sidelined, alongside long term absentee's Pascal Struijk and Stuart Dallas.

It will be hoped that Ethan Ampadu will start alongside Joe Rodon in central defence, and Sam Byram switches to right back (where he looks a lot more comfortable. This will allow Archie Gray to operate in midfield, where he is best.

The visitors will be without Jacob Greaves (suspended) and Liam Delap (knee). 38yo Billy Sharp is likely to be among their substitutes.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

A win at all costs, as you say though , they're better against the better sides, hopefully we don't give carvalho too much space.
DF needs to go back to basics, the ones that got us where we are, I'd love to see Joseph getting more minutes but he won't dispossess a mis-firing bamford, no idea why like.
I have this down as a very tight game, as long as it's in our favour a 1-0 will do, nervy, but will do.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Hull City Match Thread

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Monday will be a slightly more relaxed team selection. Hopefully much closer to normal wit the squad spending a couple of days together,

If Gruev comes back the team virtually picks itself. If not there are several options to consider. Can Byram play again after 2 days rest? Where do Ampadu and Gray play? Obviously Gruev is key.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:15 pm Monday will be a slightly more relaxed team selection. Hopefully much closer to normal wit the squad spending a couple of days together,

If Gruev comes back the team virtually picks itself. If not there are several options to consider. Can Byram play again after 2 days rest? Where do Ampadu and Gray play? Obviously Gruev is key.
I heard that Gruev is likely to miss 3 games!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Hopefully

Meslier
Gray
Firpo
Gruev
Roon
Ampadu
James
Kamara
Joseph
Georginio
Summerville
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Ellandback1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:20 pm I heard that Gruev is likely to miss 3 games!
Farke said in the Watford post match that Gruev has a chance for Monday
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If not Gruev then I'm a little bit stumped. I don't think due to the nature of our set up we can use Gray or Kamara as the DMF whose job is to sit in front of the two CB and act as a third when the wing backs get forward.

If Gruev is out and Amps plays CB alongside Rodon then we're in trouble as it'll be a two man defence.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:24 pm Hopefully

Meslier
Gray
Firpo
Gruev
Roon
Ampadu
James
Kamara
Joseph
Georginio
Summerville
That's more or less the obvious "if Gruev is fit" selection I was talking about. I don't think he'll drop Bamford though. Regardless of any of our opinions, he just likes a consistent starting 11.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:30 pm That's more or less the obvious "if Gruev is fit" selection I was talking about. I don't think he'll drop Bamford though. Regardless of any of our opinions, he just likes a consistent starting 11.
I know, I just like to play the best team we can, always have
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:32 pm Better vs the better teams as I said
But the Stoke game will dent their confidence ....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We have pre match and match threads running consecutively ... which one should we post on?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:32 pm We have pre match and match threads running consecutively ... which one should we post on?
Match thread

Mods can just merge this
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:29 pm If not Gruev then I'm a little bit stumped. I don't think due to the nature of our set up we can use Gray or Kamara as the DMF whose job is to sit in front of the two CB and act as a third when the wing backs get forward.

If Gruev is out and Amps plays CB alongside Rodon then we're in trouble as it'll be a two man defence.
Kamara was a defensive midfielder.

Hence why he has so few goals and assists in his career.

Gray is more of an 8.

So if Gruev isn't fit that's what I'd go for

Fundamentally I think DF broke up too many partnerships vs Watford.

He needs to get as many of those back as he can.

Rodon and Ampadu

Summerville and Firpo

Hopefully Gruev and Kamara

I'd also be tempted to bring Anthony in for James.

I'd start Joseph as well as Bamford has had 3 or 4 ineffective games in a row now, but he won't do that
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

When asked about the changes made which had an immediate settling impact, Farke said in his post-match presser that he couldn’t have started with Firpo given his travels & late return.

That won’t apply Monday, so it should be Amps & Rodon at CB.

In the same way that Amps was a bit disoriented playing midfield again after so long, Archie said it took him 20 minutes to acclimatise after playing full back - hopefully neither will be so ring-rusty against Hull.
Last edited by Carrick Dave on Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:40 pm Kamara was a defensive midfielder.

Hence why he has so few goals and assists in his career.

Gray is more of an 8.

So if Gruev isn't fit that's what I'd go for

Fundamentally I think DF broke up too many partnerships vs Watford.

He needs to get as many of those back as he can.

Rodon and Ampadu

Summerville and Firpo

Hopefully Gruev and Kamara

I'd also be tempted to bring Anthony in for James.

I'd start Joseph as well as Bamford has had 3 or 4 ineffective games in a row now, but he won't do that
Defensive mid who can play CB? I think he's played Centre mid for too long now to adjust easily. Not Shack's best position and I think he's carrying an injury but he'd be better if fit.

Firpo works best with Cry because he's a good natural left wing back who'll overlap and be on his strong foot for the pass/cross. Both Byram and Cry are inverted and need to come in so they clash
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:48 pm Defensive mid who can play CB? I think he's played Centre mid for too long now to adjust easily. Not Shack's best position and I think he's carrying an injury but he'd be better if fit.

Firpo works best with Cry because he's a good natural left wing back who'll overlap and be on his strong foot for the pass/cross. Both Byram and Cry are inverted and need to come in so they clash
I doubt he played it like Ampadu earlier in the season or KP for that matter.

Receiving the ball and spreading passes, he doesn't have that

I suspect he sat just infront of the back 4 and used his ability to keep hold of the ball to receive the ball from defence then play simple passes forward.

But from reading what Rangers fans say he was more of a defensive midfielder than a box to box one, his end product is poor as we've seen.

Agree on Firpo and Byram.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Our 58 seater coach full for the Hull game.