Coventry City post match discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Coventry City post match discussion

Post by 1964white »

JoeDenver wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:25 pm Those are my faves, too, Dave! Listen to Ger’s morning update every day. Love it when Joe has Ger, Locky, Andrea, and Evie on the Final Word. Connor’s show is best when he has Brownie on there as part of his Debrief, IMHO.
Agree Joe :tup: The Debrief is not the same without Brownie.

Joe's Final Word & his other shows which include the content creators are good.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

1964white wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:33 pm Agree Joe :tup: The Debrief is not the same without Brownie.

Joe's Final Word & his other shows which include the content creators are good.
Just started Just Joe with Ger (only him?). Need some further commiseration ;)
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
1964white

Post by 1964white »

JoeDenver wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:37 pm Just started Just Joe with Ger (only him?). Need some further commiseration ;)
JT & is it Marcus joins in later.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Gray should have buried that chance in the first few minutes.

He has went off the boil since he has had to share his dressing room.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:59 pm Gray should have buried that chance in the first few minutes.

He fluffed it. Hasn't really done well in attacking positions all season. A little bit to learn in terms of composure.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Well I watched the game much later than the rest of you. My only guide to the game was the match thread since LUTV blacked out radio coverage.

Hindsight always offers a slightly different perspective

We weren't that bad as a whole. Certainly think we deserved a draw. Most of our chances came in a dominant last 30 minutes from 2-0 down. But we certainly had a lot more going forward than they did. The difference was that they made their opportunities count.

The ref was well and truly w@nk. On one hand I'll say that with us being a young team we don't match up well in terms of physicality and in terms of sh1t-housery. Their first goal was a good example of them being more physical. But the ref never gave us much protection either. I'm a lifelong Leeds fan so I've never been one to gripe at the physical side of the game. But some of the stuff the ref let go was ridiculous. James got pulled down two handed by his shirt. Rutter had both his arms pulled back preventing him from getting to a ball. If we get stuck in this division for another year we do need to add a little more experience and physicality.

Some blamed Meslier for the first goal. I blame Archie who tried to shepherd the ball out and allowed their player to hook it back in. Archie had a torrid time early on. Fluffed the earliest chance in front of goal. Got beaten twice on chances Meslier saved. And the goal as mentioned. That said, he did look better than Kamara playing the 8. Definitely food for thought for the rest of the season. Especially with Roberts back.

Some of the performances weren't as bad as some made out. Rutter wasn't terrible first half and played well 2nd half. Kamara didn't do anything wrong but does need to find a way to be more involved. Bamford didn't miss anything obvious - I thought on his most obvious miss he got pushed 2 handed in the back right when the ball came to him.

Several saying Joseph should start over Bamford. Hard to argue against Bamford being dropped. But don't think Joseph did a great deal of note when he came on. Piroe was heavily involved, But he seems to have moved from 9 to 10 to 8. Good finish from him. Shame about the potential equalizer.

Anyway. Not terrible. Deserved a point. Got out muscled a bit. Could do with a bit more physicality ourselves but also better referreeing. Really need to win the next home games to stake our claim again.
LoinerBoy
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LoinerBoy »

It's true to say that I don't contribute much to our forum, though I do watch every Leeds game (and have done for many years) and I do read every post in every match day thread on here.

One of my rare posts here is to vent my absolute amazement as to how Bamford (I'll ignore the temptation to write Bamfraud) ever gets picked to start in, or even appear in, any Leeds game. It is arguable that his awful (sometimes almost unbelievable) gaffs in front of goal towards the end of last season cost us our place in the Premiership. And here he is doing the same thing again, blowing chance after chance towards the end of this season where we need every player fully contributing to this tense battle to gain promotion!!

Why do Farke and his predecessors keep insisting on playing him when 'blind Freddy' can see that he under-performs week in week out. The only reason I can think of is that because he is one of highest paid players in the team (if not the highest paid) the managers have had to play him so as not to look guilty of squandering his huge wage on a non-starting player.

Let me just say that I am not simply jumping on the "I hate Bamfraud" bandwagon that seems to be gathering pace at the moment.
I've been driving that wagon for a few years now!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:48 pm The whole thing is very counter productive when you consider as someone said on this thread we aren't about quick well worked passing triangles and are very reliant on Summerville or Rutter beating a man to create an opportunity.

Our deliberate slow build up directly makes this harder for them.

We complain Georgie gets dispossessed so much, partly his fault and partly a tactical issue imo.

The unwillingness to not use switches of play to get our wingers 1v1 vs a full back is another thing that really bothers me.

I assume its all down to DF and his desire to keep the ball.
Well stated Cjay :tup:

We seem to have lapsed into this careful, deliberate, lethargic approach, rather than moving the ball with pace, and creating space and opportunities. Earlier in the season DF was talking about players seeing a forward pass and playing it and seizing the moment. Post-match yesterday he was talking about us "not winning the duels".

I just think were making it too easy for the opposition to negate us, we're not pressing like we were, not moving off the ball, not moving the ball with pace, and this is really helping the opposition to keep their shape and mark our most dangerous players out of the match.

How many times yesterday did we have our defenders on the ball in the centre of the park passing the ball sideways and backwards to each other at a walking pace? This again raises serious doubts for me in Farke's ability. We've started conceding again and looking vulnerable in defence, and this has not been addressed.

Why is Bamfraud starting every match when he's clearly out of form and confidence? Kamara is looking more like Forshaw every match, but Farke keeps playing him.

I still think there will be twists and turns and that we'll get promoted as champions. But that's dependent on Farke ringing the changes and getting these players fired up again.

In the EPL, our recent performances will get severely punished, as we'll be up against better players and coaches who will take us apart.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

LoinerBoy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:32 am It's true to say that I don't contribute much to our forum, though I do watch every Leeds game (and have done for many years) and I do read every post in every match day thread on here.

One of my rare posts here is to vent my absolute amazement as to how Bamford (I'll ignore the temptation to write Bamfraud) ever gets picked to start in, or even appear in, any Leeds game. It is arguable that his awful (sometimes almost unbelievable) gaffs in front of goal towards the end of last season cost us our place in the Premiership. And here he is doing the same thing again, blowing chance after chance towards the end of this season where we need every player fully contributing to this tense battle to gain promotion!!

Why do Farke and his predecessors keep insisting on playing him when 'blind Freddy' can see that he under-performs week in week out. The only reason I can think of is that because he is one of highest paid players in the team (if not the highest paid) the managers have had to play him so as not to look guilty of squandering his huge wage on a non-starting player.

Let me just say that I am not simply jumping on the "I hate Bamfraud" bandwagon that seems to be gathering pace at the moment.
I've been driving that wagon for a few years now!
If we don’t play Bamford what would you suggest instead?

Not sure he is picked due to high wages. Must be something the managers see.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:02 am Well I watched the game much later than the rest of you. My only guide to the game was the match thread since LUTV blacked out radio coverage.

Hindsight always offers a slightly different perspective

We weren't that bad as a whole. Certainly think we deserved a draw. Most of our chances came in a dominant last 30 minutes from 2-0 down. But we certainly had a lot more going forward than they did. The difference was that they made their opportunities count.

The ref was well and truly w@nk. On one hand I'll say that with us being a young team we don't match up well in terms of physicality and in terms of sh1t-housery. Their first goal was a good example of them being more physical. But the ref never gave us much protection either. I'm a lifelong Leeds fan so I've never been one to gripe at the physical side of the game. But some of the stuff the ref let go was ridiculous. James got pulled down two handed by his shirt. Rutter had both his arms pulled back preventing him from getting to a ball. If we get stuck in this division for another year we do need to add a little more experience and physicality.

Some blamed Meslier for the first goal. I blame Archie who tried to shepherd the ball out and allowed their player to hook it back in. Archie had a torrid time early on. Fluffed the earliest chance in front of goal. Got beaten twice on chances Meslier saved. And the goal as mentioned. That said, he did look better than Kamara playing the 8. Definitely food for thought for the rest of the season. Especially with Roberts back.

Some of the performances weren't as bad as some made out. Rutter wasn't terrible first half and played well 2nd half. Kamara didn't do anything wrong but does need to find a way to be more involved. Bamford didn't miss anything obvious - I thought on his most obvious miss he got pushed 2 handed in the back right when the ball came to him.

Several saying Joseph should start over Bamford. Hard to argue against Bamford being dropped. But don't think Joseph did a great deal of note when he came on. Piroe was heavily involved, But he seems to have moved from 9 to 10 to 8. Good finish from him. Shame about the potential equalizer.

Anyway. Not terrible. Deserved a point. Got out muscled a bit. Could do with a bit more physicality ourselves but also better referreeing. Really need to win the next home games to stake our claim again.
Nice report, Andrew.

I'm busy for much of today, but I'll force myself to watch a full replay of the match this evening.

That first-half was enough to put off any hardened fan.

Our performances of late has made me think is promotion truly worth it, as defeats like yesterday will be even more severe!

Yes we've been winning matches, however we struggled against the likes of Huddersfield, Stoke, Watford, Hull & now Coventry, not exactly world beaters!

I just can't see this squad surviving in the Premier League.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:59 pm Gray should have buried that chance in the first few minutes.

I didn’t see the game yesterday so I’ve just watched the highlights (?) this morning. I was going to post about the lack of goals from midfield and I saw your post. My post is about the complete absence of goals from our middles and how we must improve next year.

What’s the total for the season? None is it, I think? Ampadu’s couple came from CB I think.

Kamara has never scored goals (6 I think in his whole career) and Archie seems to fluff his lines when he sees the net, which is a surprise seeing how calm he is under pressure everywhere else on the field..

Big, big concern for me. Needs looking at.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I’m going against the grain , but I’m blaming Meslier for the first goal after watching it this morning. He’s all over the place. I get it that our defenders were nowhere either, but it’s the keepers job to boss that goal area. Mes body language is all wrong. He follows the ball, not the man. When the ball comes to the scorer, Mes is diving at his feet. He should be shoulder to shoulder with the attacker. I’d have been happier with Mes smashing the scorer and giving away a penalty than the pathetic attempt he did.

Yes, he’s a good shot stopper, but in his 6 yard area he’s pants.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:54 am Nice report, Andrew.

I'm busy for much of today, but I'll force myself to watch a full replay of the match this evening.

That first-half was enough to put off any hardened fan.

Our performances of late has made me think is promotion truly worth it, as defeats like yesterday will be even more severe!

Yes we've been winning matches, however we struggled against the likes of Huddersfield, Stoke, Watford, Hull & now Coventry, not exactly world beaters!

I just can't see this squad surviving in the Premier League.
If we go up.... Next season will be no fun at all
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Clitheroe White wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:29 am If we don’t play Bamford what would you suggest instead?

Not sure he is picked due to high wages. Must be something the managers see.
How about starting Joseph, it’s not as if we have anything to lose, every time he gets subbed on ( usually too late )he makes something happen & injects a bit of pace into our attack. Gnonto must start, when he was starting he did well then we had James coming on with fresh legs & pace when the defence was tired. Firpo is a far better attacker than defender and puts in some lovely crosses. He hit a peach of a cross into the box but nobody attacked it, why aren’t we using him on free kicks around the box and taking corners where we’re useless at. We’re getting bogged down in the midfield when Georginio holds the ball too long or loses it when we need to be using the width with Gnonto/James, Archie, Roberts, Firpo more. Piroe & Anthony can be used more to give some players a rest. We have the players we need for promotion but I don’t think we’re using them right, DF needs to show a bit of strength now & make a few brave decisions or we’re going to sleepwalk into another season in purgatory.
Keeping The Faith
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

I agree with the Meslier comments. He was too soft for the first goal.
An "old school" keeper would have taken out the man and ball. But in the modern game the focus is on passing out from the back, not bossing your penalty area.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

No one seems to be suggesting Piroe coming in at 9 which would make more sense to me. The calls for Joseph sound reminiscent of the shouts for Gelhardt a few years back - not a proven starter and far from guaranteed to perform. Meanwhile we have a proven championship striker gathering dust on the bench most games.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

We lost, we were bound to at some point. Good thing is, so did Ipswich. They are the ones to beat now. Bring on Tuesday!
Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

WhiteRose wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:16 am No one seems to be suggesting Piroe coming in at 9 which would make more sense to me. The calls for Joseph sound reminiscent of the shouts for Gelhardt a few years back - not a proven starter and far from guaranteed to perform. Meanwhile we have a proven championship striker gathering dust on the bench most games.
Agree with this, Piroe has more experience than Gelhardt & Joseph at a time when we need it, I agree with DF that we need experienced heads in the team however I can no longer agree with him about the inclusion of Bamford, he is completely out of form at the moment and really doesn't help himself with that sarcastic grin he wears most of the time, its not a great look when you have just been substituted and losing 2-0. Let's get him fired back up by putting him on the bench for a couple of games.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:21 am If we go up.... Next season will be no fun at all
Indeed Hector. :tup:

I've enjoyed this season, going to matches with a positive attitude with the realisation we'll win more than we lose or draw, and the fact we're not on the end of a battering is reassuring.

The fact remains we need to go up in the next two seasons from a financial point of view, as LUFC will want to attract the best players & also increase the stadium capacity.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:32 am We lost, we were bound to at some point. Good thing is, so did Ipswich. They are the ones to beat now. Bring on Tuesday!
Yes, our standing on the table may look much better after the two home games vs Sunderland & Blackburn.