The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 19th April) How far will £36m in parachute payments stretch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 19th April) How far will £36m in parachute payments stretch

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 19th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

How far will £36m in parachute payments stretch

Do Leeds have the means to mount a serious promotion push next season, assuming we don't go up. Nine of the eleven deserters (Koch and Rodrigo out of contract) are unlikely to return to Elland Road, and although deals to make the moves permanent are not beyond the realms of possibility, the loan clauses don't favour Leeds as far as negotiations go.

Next season, Leeds will receive £36m in parachute payments, (the same as their current wage bill according to several sources). They will need to get rid of their dead wood, and replace any players who jump ship! They also must settle their account with Jean-Kevin Augustin, which could be anything up to £25m, and although payments are likely to be staggered, we need to remember, we owe £190m in outstanding transfer fees.

Leeds must find circa £73m by end of June

According to the Yorkshire Evening Post, Leeds owe in the region of £190m in outstanding transfer payments to other clubs, and circa £73m of that will need to be paid by the end of June. It paints a rather gloomy picture of their finances, especially as they are only owed £2m in incoming fees! If Leeds fail to get promoted, the players that deserted the sinking ship last Summer, are free to spend another season on loan, which with contracts finding down could seriously effect their market value.

Worse still, Leeds don't even earn a loan fee from the majority of these players. It paints a rather solemn picture, and begs the question of how the 49ers, who were major shareholders in the club let Messrs Radrizzani and Orta insert ridiculous relegation stipulations into their contracts!

End of the road for Joffy

When Joe Gelhardt joined the Whites back in the Summer of 2020, few would have expected that four season's on, he'd be struggling to make the subs bench in the Championship. I can't help thinking that his lack of progression can be attributed to lack of game time, and mismanagement! At his age, he needs to be playing every week, and if not, he needs to go out on loan - so why hasn't he?

The soon to be 22yo has amassed just 173 minutes of Championship game time this season, falling down to 29th in Leeds register, with a 'Whoscored' rating of just 6.09. West Brom are desperate for his signature this Summer, which could prove a very costly mistake for the Whites, similar to allowing Leif Davis to leave Elland Road for £1m almost two year ago.

WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 19th April) How far will £36m in parachute payments stretch

Post by WhiteRose »

I thought it was said last year that the loan clauses only applied for the first season we went down - we all know though that if we don’t go up players need to go, Summerville, Gnonto and Rutter should get us somewhere near £73 million.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 19th April) How far will £36m in parachute payments stretch

Post by The Subhuman »

Serious promotion challenge! ...surely that's been the aim every season for the last 17 of the last 20 years ?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

WhiteRose wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 am I thought it was said last year that the loan clauses only applied for the first season we went down - we all know though that if we don’t go up players need to go, Summerville, Gnonto and Rutter should get us somewhere near £73 million.
I read an article that Real Betis were hoping Leeds wouldn't get promoted, as it would mean keeping Roca on loan
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:15 am Serious promotion challenge! ...surely that's been the aim every season for the last 17 of the last 20 years ?
I'd probably say only since Bielsa's reign was our challenge a serious one
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:20 am I'd probably say only since Bielsa's reign was our challenge a serious one
I'd be amazed a club like Leeds didn't start a season without making a serious attempt at getting promotion.. otherwise what's the point?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Joffy was screwed the minute Gnonto arrived, Rutter made it worse ( really screwed) and then Joseph looks like breaking through, so he now completely screwed.

Unless of course we sell three of our forward line this summer ( likely in any case promoted of not) in which case Joffy, Joseph and Piroe will light our way as we have a fun season next time in the Championship

I used to be stressed about the club owing money, but after a look around and noticing so many clubs in debt I now understand that it is moot.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 am I read an article that Real Betis were hoping Leeds wouldn't get promoted, as it would mean keeping Roca on loan
Hmm I thought Phil hay said otherwise but maybe that was assuming promotion - we really will be screwed in that case then as will risk losing all those players for nothing whilst still owing £170 million for them.

Every year it’s “oh if xyz don’t get promoted they are screwed” and in every case they do end up getting promoted until of course it gets to our turn and once again we provide a fine example to others of how not to run a football club.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:38 am Joffy was screwed the minute Gnonto arrived, Rutter made it worse ( really screwed) and then Joseph looks like breaking through, so he now completely screwed.

Unless of course we sell three of our forward line this summer ( likely in any case promoted of not) in which case Joffy, Joseph and Piroe will light our way as we have a fun season next time in the Championship

I used to be stressed about the club owing money, but after a look around and noticing so many clubs in debt I now understand that it is moot.
To paraphrase Andy Capp

If you owe hundreds you're a failure
If you owe thousands you're a small business
If you owe millions you're a football club
If you owe billions you're a government
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

What does Angus think he is going to do with that parachute payment. And where did the FA get all the parachutes from... The army surplus store?

He's gonna have a hard time shifting them... Not much call for second hand parachutes.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
I didne realise we were that much in debt ffs, who sanctionss these deals, and, 49ers have to take a lot of blame for negligence on their part, not only that, kinnear is still here.

I f Iseriously thought the club would never challenge for promotion every year I would stop going.

Shame about Joffy, it happens, but no sooner we get rid he'll be bang on form and just the type of player we need if we don't go up.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 am Morning all.
I didne realise we were that much in debt ffs, who sanctionss these deals, and, 49ers have to take a lot of blame for negligence on their part, not only that, kinnear is still here.

I f Iseriously thought the club would never challenge for promotion every year I would stop going.

Shame about Joffy, it happens, but no sooner we get rid he'll be bang on form and just the type of player we need if we don't go up.
Care to expand on how the owners have to take a lot of the blame?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

As I mentioned in my previous post, I can't see us regaining our mojo. I don't mind if we stay in the championship for another season as I dont think we are ready for the PL & I've enjoyed us winning the majority of our games.
We'll be stronger next season as Farke/49ers will have more time to build our squad as opposed to last summer when the likes of Ayling, Cooper, Gelhardt, Poveda, Shackleton, Struijk were half of our first team during August.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

I do wish people (You know who you are :evil: ) would stop writing us off for promotion

Boro 0 Leeds 2

QPR 0 Leeds 3

Then the crunch 8-)
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

whiteinfrance wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:41 am I do wish people (You know who you are :evil: ) would stop writing us off for promotion

Boro 0 Leeds 2

QPR 0 Leeds 3

Then the crunch 8-)
So how do we want Leicester v Southampton to pan out on Tuesday?
Leicester win - they get distance on us but Southampton are pretty much out of automatic promotion
Southampton win - they are right up our chuff and could still get top 2
Draw - they both drop points and probably kills of automatic promotion for Southampton.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Police have announced two footballers have had their houses burgled on the same night, Ryan Giggs lost his 2 Champions League medals, 12 Premier medals, 8 FA and League cup winners medals

Harry Kane has lost his kettle and toaster
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Nicked from elsewhere
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:54 am Police have announced two footballers have had their houses burgled on the same night, Ryan Giggs lost his 2 Champions League medals, 12 Premier medals, 8 FA and League cup winners medals

Harry Kane has lost his kettle and toaster
He has recently learnt how to put a crumpet in his toaster and turn the kettle on. Sometimes he gets it the wrong way round.
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

whiteinfrance wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:41 am I do wish people (You know who you are :evil: ) would stop writing us off for promotion

Boro 0 Leeds 2

QPR 0 Leeds 3

Then the crunch 8-)
This is the correct take. Now is not the time to quit on this squad. They've earned my belief. It ain't over yet.

As for Foxes vs. Saints- draw is what I'm hoping for.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:28 am Care to expand on how the owners have to take a lot of the blame?
Yea I would Ian.
Now then, if Ibought a business, I would of course check all the ins & outs, the nuts & bolts ect, I would expect the 49ers to have done the same at the very very least, so who, didn't do that, or, who did that and thought it totally exceptable to let things go as they were, all those loan deals for one, is it Kinell that is to blame !!
I personally don't think it was done thoroughly enough, maybe I'm wrong, maybe they just thought, Kineel has it all under control and let him run away with the safe keys, signing off any old bollocks.
Maybe they thought, we don't give a toss because we will get automatic promotion which negates a lot of debt.
Maybe they have lawyers that know there way around such obstacles.
Maybe you know the answer to why the 49ers are to be exonerated from all blame !!
Over to you Ian, btw, what series of blue lights you in !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"