I want playoff football and here's why

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

I want playoff football and here's why

Post by The Subhuman »

1. It extends the season for us by up to 3 games. Weekends/weeks without football are not the same, MOT will not have to go into hibernation till the 24/25 season kicks off in July (lets face it with the Euro's this year there will not be much in player sales and buys until that's over)

2. Should be a great sense of anticipation here should we make the final.

3. A trophy for the cabinet is on the line, think we all realize a second Championship trophy is unlikely now and you get f**k all for second

4. We need to break the cup/playoff curse. This could be the way
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: I want playoff football and here's why

Post by pjm2019 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:41 am 1. It extends the season for us by up to 3 games. Weekends/weeks without football are not the same, MOT will not have to go into hibernation till the 24/25 season kicks off in July (lets face it with the Euro's this year there will not be much in player sales and buys until that's over)

3. A trophy for the cabinet is on the line, think we all realize a second Championship trophy is unlikely now and you get f**k all for second

Well actually you do get something for second: £100 Million for being in the premiership
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

pjm2019 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:58 am Well actually you do get something for second: £100 Million for being in the premiership
Money ain't everything .. and it's easily wasted
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

pjm2019 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:58 am Well actually you do get something for second: £100 Million for being in the premiership
You also get that if you go up via the playoffs
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

hector wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:07 am You also get that if you go up via the playoffs
Agreed BUT the stress of the playoffs is just too much
hector

Post by hector »

pjm2019 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:08 am Agreed BUT the stress of the playoffs is just too much
Nooo it isn't..... It's only football, there are more important things in life you know
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:09 am Nooo it isn't..... It's only football, there are more important things in life you know
:tup:

This forum will be a great place IF we make the playoff final. Dead, if we go up in second. At that point we'll start getting the pointless "Why haven't we bought anyone threads"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

There's no history or mythology to be made finishing second.... a ten minute celebration forgotten real quick...
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

Personally couldn't cope with another play-off comp. Unfortunately I crave certainty when it comes to Leeds Utd and as we know it's never a certainty :roll: We need to be promoted automatically to stop those nervous thoughts of another season in the championship a.s.a.p.
Agreed its not a bad league but it's not the premier where the best footballing teams are :fire: . So please Daniel Farke and the boys pull your finger out.
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

2nd spot would do me very well thank you. Play offs are like cup matches and we all know how good we’ve been with them in the past. Getting to and winning the final would be a fantastic way to go up but I’d happily take the certainty of going up and would give the players & owners an extra 2/3 weeks to rest and plan for next season. Plus I’m on holidays the week of the play offs and don’t need to be stressing and watching football while I’m away. Selfish €$$*#%*
Keeping The Faith
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

hector wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:09 am Nooo it isn't..... It's only football, there are more important things in life you know
Yeah? Like what? ;-)
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:41 am 1. It extends the season for us by up to 3 games. Weekends/weeks without football are not the same, MOT will not have to go into hibernation till the 24/25 season kicks off in July (lets face it with the Euro's this year there will not be much in player sales and buys until that's over)

You're unbelievable at times Faiip. The stuff you come out with
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:56 pm Yeah? Like what? ;-)
Smuggling budgies
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I stated my preference of wanting to go up winning the playoffs at Christmas. It would be my preferred way to get promotion - breaks that hoodoo and it generates are far better feel good factor with actually winning something at Wembley- which I can get a ticket for.

The stress and drama of the playoffs would be far outweighed by this finale.

Of course there is a huge potential downside - but I enjoy the stress associated with it.
It isn’t for everyone but it is my belief it generates more momentum going into the following season.
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

I agree to some degree BUT you just know it wouldn't happen for us !
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Too many bad memories stretching back to the Charlton playoff for me.

Having said that, at the beginning of the season when we were in turmoil, the playoffs were my hopeful target.

I was hoping DF would have built up a head of steam going into them, but it seems the opposite right now.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:35 pm Too many bad memories stretching back to the Charlton playoff for me.

Having said that, at the beginning of the season when we were in turmoil, the playoffs were my hopeful target.

I was hoping DF would have built up a head of steam going into them, but it seems the opposite right now.
We are still in it just about Vinnie , although it will likely fall for either us Ipswich or Southampton for the 2nd spot. I think Leicester will win the title.
I actually think that it might come down to a superior goal difference :ok: :ok: We never make it easy on ourselves ;-)
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

For god's sake. Why go through the uncertainty of play-offs rather than the certainty of promotion for second :?
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteinfrance wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:16 pm For god's sake. Why go through the uncertainty of play-offs rather than the certainty of promotion for second :?
Thought I'd made that clear, are you saying I didn't give good enough reasons? Thought the debate was worth having
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: I want playoff football and here's whypreferred

Post by DDB220 »

whiteinfrance wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:16 pm For god's sake. Why go through the uncertainty of play-offs rather than the certainty of promotion for second :?
Whilst it is my method of promotion I would not sacrifice an auto spot for the drama of the playoffs in any alternative universe never mind this one.