Southampton post match discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Southampton post match discussion

Post by Irish Ian »

After watching the highlights of the game there I think the mods should have closed the in game chat at half time....
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

hector wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:00 am We will keep the current format for the rest of the season, but... I will post a poll during the off season, and we can see what other people think, the results of which will determine the way we work next season.

Is that fair ?
Very fair Hector although if we don’t get promoted what happens if the two people left on the forum disagree ? Virtual coin toss 🤔
Keeping The Faith
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

hector wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:00 am We will keep the current format for the rest of the season, but... I will post a poll during the off season, and we can see what other people think, the results of which will determine the way we work next season.

Is that fair ?
It’s fairest way 👍🏻

Edit: reading through this thread you’d be forgiven for thinking the season was over 😉
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Finnatic wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:29 am I think the match thread should be kept open permanently and no post match thread.
Match threads for some reason die out quick depending on the result.

Post match threads garner more comments and match analysis.

Like most social media the amount of clicks is equated with success, and it seems to be a deliberate policy to inflate interest from the great unwashed who rarely contribute but come for the content, and perhaps they might click on an advert which then gererates revenue for the site.

Guess you have to decide if the site is for the hard core contributers who provide most of the content, or the day trippers who increase your click rate, and the mods can measure their success by big numbers and not by meaningful content.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm ok with a post match thread, just don't lock the in match thread at all.. there will be a natural migration to the post match thread without being forced and common sense prevails

That needs to be an option in the poll btw

It's ok for the mods, they can comment on locked threads long after the lock...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:27 pm Very good right winger… and yes it’s probably his best position
Perfectly capable of it as you say.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:30 pm Perfectly capable of it as you say.
Cool yeah I agree, let's take our left winger who has scored 20 goals there and put him on the right wing. I bow down to the tactical acumen.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Unfortunately, I've been unable to comment on the game, so as the weather is not looking good tomorrow down here in sunny Suffolk, I reckon we'll be spending much of the day in our apartment, which will give me the opportunity to watch a full replay of the shambles you all witnessed yesterday.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:11 pm Unfortunately, I've been unable to comment on the game, so as the weather is not looking good tomorrow down here in sunny Suffolk, I reckon we'll be spending much of the day in our apartment, which will give me the opportunity to watch a full replay of the shambles you all witnessed yesterday.
Do watch out for the spear throwers & knuckle draggers. They are probably out in force looking for Clacton “Clackers” White.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:13 pm Do watch out for the spear throwers & knuckle draggers. They are probably out in force looking for Clacton “Clackers” White.
:rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:48 pm Cool yeah I agree, let's take our left winger who has scored 20 goals there and put him on the right wing. I bow down to the tactical acumen.
Farke was literally going to play him on the right as he thought he could be his Buendia clone.

Did all the way until September.

Only shifted him because Sinisterra left and he refused to play Gnonto for more than 5 minutes.
Signed

King Cjay

WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Think dropping Rutter might be a good idea, his form has gone off a cliff, it’s like space jam, they stole his talent when they took the hernia out, maybe they should put it back in! Have we got any alternatives though? Maybe Gnonto or piroe behind bamford (not sure if we tried that yet)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

WhiteRose wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:49 pm Think dropping Rutter might be a good idea, his form has gone off a cliff, it’s like space jam, they stole his talent when they took the hernia out, maybe they should put it back in! Have we got any alternatives though? Maybe Gnonto or piroe behind bamford (not sure if we tried that yet)
We'd be very slow in transition with Piroe and Bamford through the middle... have we tried slow patient build ups this season yet?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:11 pm Unfortunately, I've been unable to comment on the game, so as the weather is not looking good tomorrow down here in sunny Suffolk, I reckon we'll be spending much of the day in our apartment, which will give me the opportunity to watch a full replay of the shambles you all witnessed yesterday.
Don’t waste your time mate, like watching paint dry.

The atmosphere was terrible from the minute I got in the ground.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

weasel wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:59 pm He is a one trick pony. Put him on the right and he is a no trick pony.
Exactly right!!
Football/Futbol/Soccer
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:40 pm Don’t waste your time mate, like watching paint dry.

The atmosphere was terrible from the minute I got in the ground.
I like to involve myself in our Player Ratings/MOTM polls, so I don't mind watching it, mate
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:37 pm I like to involve myself in our Player Ratings/MOTM polls, so I don't mind watching it, mate
I see only a few have posted up their ratings/motm scores, always the same on here when we lose.
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Another sub standard performance.
Playoff it is, can DF earn his corn and get the players back on track?
I would like to think so.
I am sure the 49ers are watching with great interest.
The players need to be up for it.
If they can't be arsed to play in a playoff semi then there is something wrong
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:25 pm Farke was literally going to play him on the right as he thought he could be his Buendia clone.

Did all the way until September.

Only shifted him because Sinisterra left and he refused to play Gnonto for more than 5 minutes.
Oh hang the manager for planning one thing and changing it when one player forced his way out of the club and another tried to.

That is the point of why our start to the season was poor. Farke was having to juggle around trying to pick his best team not knowing who was going to be staying, who was actually going to be trying etc. You go on about Septemeber but as per usual cherry pick your stats. By the end of Septemeber we were 9 points behind Ipswich and 8 behind Leicester who also had a game in hand. Those 2 teams had momentum whereas we were still trying to work out how best to fit in the players we had to make a team.

October we started to get a bit of momentum, 12 points from 5 matches but actually found ourselves even further behind. Despite our good return Ipswich won 4 out of 4 in October and Leicester 5 wins from 5. That is the point I have continaully made in that we were having to go full throttle just to keep in their slipstream. 4 wins from 5 and we were further behind - we rotated for the 1 defeat in October, away to Stoke and lost ground, ground we couldn't afford to lose. We have been playing 'must win' matches non-stop since we got ourselves together in September.

Despite our poor end of season we have done better than both Ipswich and Leicester since the end of October. That is why it is completely fair, and completely accurate to say that we lost it in the first couple of months of the season.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:14 pm Oh hang the manager for planning one thing and changing it when one player forced his way out of the club and another tried to.

That is the point of why our start to the season was poor. Farke was having to juggle around trying to pick his best team not knowing who was going to be staying, who was actually going to be trying etc. You go on about Septemeber but as per usual cherry pick your stats. By the end of Septemeber we were 9 points bheind Ipswich and 8 behind Leicester who also had a game in hand. Those 2 teams had momentum whereas we were still trying to work out how best to fit in the players we had to make a team.
Sorry Weasel but for some reason you've attached yourself to this manager and are just happy to make excuses for him which you'd have never done for anyone else bar Bielsa.

Why does his difficult summer now extend till the end of September? That's a new one, most people had happily accepted August but now we write off September as well?

Nobody even his biggest fans had suggested he got the whole of September off as well until he mentioned it the other day.

Meslier
Ayling
Shacks
Struijk
Rodon
Gray
Ampadu
Summerville
Gnonto
Piroe
Rutter
Kamara
Spence

Team that played Sheffield Wednesday before Danny Rohl rescued them, September 2nd, that team not good enough either?

Does he get to write off two months as he is the only manager whose had a less than ideal Summer? Mark Robins was winning multiple promotions when Coventry had no home and fan protests.

But all of a sudden Daniel Farke is allowed to blame not the relegation form of the last 7,8 games but the whole 2 months at the start of the season?

We all know why it's extended until September and nobody even mentioned it until Farke did recently.

Because if you cancel August we still aren't top 2 anymore.

We were 2nd after Swansea in February, know when we dropped out next? After we drew with relegated Huddersfield.

Got back in after Wendies win, dropped out? After drawing with 15 placed Watford

People can bang on about August or September or both but we had it in our own hands multiple times since.

Beat a Sunderland side in free fall? No

Or a Blackburn side that finished 19th? Nope

Or perhaps even last change saloon vs QPR? Nope.

The fact anyone especially as sensible a poster as you is happily swallowing these excuses is absolutely ludicrous.

The summer didn't stop us, dropped points 6 months later vs bottom half teams did.
Signed

King Cjay