The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th May) Doomed Leeds miss out again

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th May) Doomed Leeds miss out again

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 27th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Doomed Leeds miss out again

They'll be no fairy-tale return to the big time for Leeds Utd, after suffering excruciating Play-Off final agony for an unprecedented fourth time, at the hands of Southampton!

We were promised fireworks but had to make do with sparklers, as Leeds proved once again they were not up for the big occasion! Adam Armstrong's 24th minute strike (his fourth against Farke's men this season) was all that separated the two teams in the end; yet apart from a moment of magic from Dan James, there was very little to get excited about from the men in white.

There was little to choose between the two sides, but after going behind, the confidence got sucked out of Leeds, and there seemed to be an inevitability that things were not going to end well.

Where did it go wrong

Promotion was always going to be a tall order after losing so many players last Summer. Farke did incredibly well to assemble the team he did, in such a short amount of time, but we were always going to have to strengthen in January, to stand a hope of Promotion

As a club, Leeds don't learn by their mistakes. Last season, they failed to prepare for the Championship, and this campaign, after getting themselves into a fantastic position, didn't finish the job, deciding instead to gamble with the same 15 players, hoping they would have enough in the tank to crawl over the finishing line!

Winning three of our last eleven games is where it all went wrong, and Leeds have paid the ultimate price. You look at both line-ups yesterday, and can't help thinking that Southampton got it spot-on with their loanees.

Flynn Downes, Taylor Harwood Bellis, Ryan Fraser, David Brooks, and Mason Holgate (traded in for Joe Rothwell in January) made a massive difference to the Saints squad this season. According to Daniel Farke, Southampton were 1% better yesterday. Perhaps if we had used the loan system properly, it would have been a different story yesterday!

The cost of failure could run up to £150m

Daniel Farke will face the most difficult challenge of his Managerial career next season, should he decide to stay at Elland Road. Depending on which source you believe, Leeds will need to find £100m - £150m in player sales to keep themselves above water. Undoubtedly, this will mean losing the likes of Archie Gray, Georginio Rutter, Wilfred Gnonto, Crysencio Summerville and Ethan Ampadu.

Their task is made all the harder by the news that the deserters who fled Elland Road last Summer, can spend another season out on loan, running down their contracts, without so much as a loan fee in many of the cases. Of course, Leeds have the option to sell the likes of Roca, Wober and Harrison but they'll not be in a position of strength at the negotiating table.

All in all, If this were a computer game, even the most sadistic among us would be reaching for the reset button!

Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th May) Doomed Leeds miss out again

Post by Barlow Boy »

I honestly don’t see Archie going anywhere, and I wouldn’t want any of the deserting rats back either .
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Barlow Boy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:56 am I honestly don’t see Archie going anywhere, and I wouldn’t want any of the deserting rats back either .
Ditto!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

100-150 seems high to me but we will need to sell first then buy. It should be another sticky start to the season as we're likely to need to wait to make our moves.... We'll need to generate 50 ish M to stand still.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The stark reality of losing yesterday means it is highly likely we will have a different looking team at the start of next season.
The loanees, Rodon, Roberts and Anthony will go back to their parent clubs and may end up elsewhere. There will definitely be a few PL clubs looking at Rodon. And it's almost inevitable that Summerville and Gnonto will be sold. I don't think Gray will leave though.
On top of that, Cooper's contract is up and I can't see the likes of Gelhardt and Cresswell being happy warming the bench for another season so they will probably move on.
An interesting and uncertain summer lies ahead.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Would anybody be disappointed if we let Bamford leave on a free transfer to release wages?

Perhaps offer Ayling another 12 months. I think he could fit into midfield quite well, the same Ian Harte did during his latter career.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:24 am The stark reality of losing yesterday means it is highly likely we will have a different looking team at the start of next season.
The loanees, Rodon, Roberts and Anthony will go back to their parent clubs and may end up elsewhere. There will definitely be a few PL clubs looking at Rodon. And it's almost inevitable that Summerville and Gnonto will be sold. I don't think Gray will leave though.
On top of that, Cooper's contract is up and I can't see the likes of Gelhardt and Cresswell being happy warming the bench for another season so they will probably move on.
An interesting and uncertain summer lies ahead.
Archie is a phenomenal talent FOR HIS AGE, but if we were offered 40m we must take it.

I don't see him influencing games in the same way that Ampadu can, even when he plays midfield. We need players that can influence games now!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

If we were offered 12m for Piroe, who'd take it?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I'm hoping that the 49ers have very very astute and clever Lawyers who can find some sort of loophole around this monetary mess we keep hearing about.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

No, we are not doomed!!!

Although, from my friends responses on our coach & the hundreds of texts I've received, you would think we were heading to the abyss.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

The fan reaction to letting go of Archie would be overwhelmingly negative. I don't see it happening.

We'll have to entertain offers for everyone else, alas.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:15 pm No, we are not doomed!!!

Although, from my friends responses on our coach & the hundreds of texts I've received, you would think we were heading to the abyss.
No doom and gloom from me 64, just the reality of not getting promoted.
Let's see how the summer pans out with regard to comings and goings
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

We're not in a position of strength to negotiate good fees for our players.

£16m Gnonto
£25m Summerville
£18m Harrison
£25m Rutter
£6m Roca
£8m Wober
£20m Ampadu
£10m Piroe

If we can get £100m for the above, then we're doing well!!!
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Don't see Ampadu going anywhere
Notwell
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Notwell »

Bringing in 150 mill over even 100 mill, forget it. Clubs are looking at our squad for bargains. Gnonto has not been outstanding, he won't bring in much. Archie is untried at top level. Only Summerville will bring in a decent fee, but in our position it won't be what he is worth.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

whiteswan wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:08 pm Don't see Ampadu going anywhere
I was just thinking out of all the players (including Archie), I'd want to keep Ampadu
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Notwell wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:11 pm Bringing in 150 mill over even 100 mill, forget it. Clubs are looking at our squad for bargains. Gnonto has not been outstanding, he won't bring in much. Archie is untried at top level. Only Summerville will bring in a decent fee, but in our position it won't be what he is worth.
Summerville has 2 years left on his contract, so £25-£30m
Johnsie123
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Johnsie123 »

I would like most keep Ampedu, Grey ,Meslier,Piroe,Joseph Fripo,Grueve,James.
Defo gone
Rodon
Summerville
Gnotto
All loans
Bamford (defo go waste of space).
Some decent loans in and we go again next year but we got to be quicker from the get go,what's your thoughts on DF if he stays gotvto have a proper plan B not just chuck on attackers that don't work for me sorry.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Absolutely nothing to do with topic but made me howl :lol:

Ahoooooo
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Tom the Cat
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Tom the Cat »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:52 am Would anybody be disappointed if we let Bamford leave on a free transfer to release wages?

Perhaps offer Ayling another 12 months. I think he could fit into midfield quite well, the same Ian Harte did during his latter career.
I would be absolutely delighted.