Olympic thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Olympic thread

Post by mentalcase »

Post anything about the olympics as it's now started.
Infact, it kicked off big time when Morocco beat the Argies , great scenes, after almost 4 hours after the game began, Morocco won.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Olympic thread

Post by Jaydog »

Things in the Olympics:
Surfing
Beach volleyball
Break dancing
Climbing

Things not in the Olympics:
Squash
Netball

I rest my case.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

My neighbors will be disappointed with the USA. Lost 3-0 to France.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:16 pm My neighbors will be disappointed with the USA. Lost 3-0 to France.
it's about what I expected. Although I thought we would be good for a goal. I'd have been thrilled if we would have kept it to a 2 goal match.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Watched Iraq beat Ukraine, and the USA get their arse handed to them in a sling by France.

Stadiums are half empty, best bits are the cameras focusing on crowd celebrations when a goal is scored, most incongruous to see beautiful Iraqi women topping off her hijab with a white baseball hat and being ecstatic when Iraq score a penalty.

Then there was the penalty taker bowing down to Mecca and giving thanks to God.

Funny old thing when football becomes sectarian, remembering when Gazza imitated playing the flute in front of the Celtic fans and the outrage it caused.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Mali 1 vs 1 Israel

Over 1,000 French police, including masked counter-terrorist officers, created an additional security barrier prior to the nation's clash with Mali in their first game in the men's football competition.

Israel's national anthem was booed by some sections in the approximately half-full stadium prior to kick-off, and a group of spectators stood in a line wearing t-shirts with initials that spelled 'Free Palestine' in protest over the war in Gaza.

Politics and sport (just stop oil at snooker, rugby and football, taking the knee.)

Religion and sport (awaiting a streaker in a hijab to liven things up )

Since the cameras are there protesters will take the opportunity to express their grievances to a world wide audience.
IMG_20240725_101245.jpg
Last edited by Sean_Nile on Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimstorrie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimstorrie »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:09 pm Things in the Olympics:
Surfing
Beach volleyball
Break dancing
Climbing

Squash
Netball

I rest my case.
There are many what I would call subjective Sports here.
Notwithstanding the current furore I just don't get dressage inasmuch as I can watch it and not know who is better than whom.
The same applies to gymnastics, surfing, figure skating and so on.
It's good for the niche Sports that they have the wider audience, it's just that some are not very viewer friendly.
Last edited by Jimstorrie on Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimstorrie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimstorrie »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:07 am Watched Iraq beat Ukraine, and the USA get their arse handed to them in a sling by France.

Stadiums are half empty, best bits are the cameras focusing on crowd celebrations when a goal is scored, most incongruous to see beautiful Iraqi women topping off her hijab with a white baseball hat and being ecstatic when Iraq score a penalty.

Then there was the penalty taker bowing down to Mecca and giving thanks to God.

Funny old thing when football becomes sectarian, remembering when Gazza imitated playing the flute in front of the Celtic fans and the outrage it caused.
Interesting that the stadia are half empty, as football is usually one of the best attended sports. It has been suggested that is one of the reasons it remains an Olymoic sport, especially given the changing eligibility for players.
Unlike more minority sports football hardly needs more exposure.
Events between Argentina and Morocco might have hastened its Olympic demise.
Jimstorrie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimstorrie »

Jimstorrie wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 am Interesting that the stadia are half empty, as football is usually one of the best attended sports. It has been suggested that is one of the reasons it remains an Olympic sport, especially given the changing eligibility for players.
Unlike more minority sports football hardly needs more exposure.
Events between Argentina and Morocco might have hastened its' Olympic demise.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Dear oh dear, whatever next
IMG_20240725_113434.jpg
Orange Box
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Orange Box »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:36 am Dear oh dear, whatever next
IMG_20240725_113434.jpg
What a shame, I was so looking forward to see the Canadian Women’s Human Mountain team win gold this year. Then my dreams all came tumbling down.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Jaydog »

Jimstorrie wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:20 am There are many what I would call subjective Sports here.
Notwithstanding the current furore I just don't get dressage inasmuch as I can watch it and not know who is better than whom.
It's good for the niche Sports that they have the wider audience, it's just that some are not very viewer friendly.
With the latest scandal involving cruelty I think dressage popularity will be going down.
I just don’t understand 2 “proper” sports being declined over Breaking.
Squash has been accepted in to LA 2028 apparently but the wait for netball goes in. 2032 in Brisbane may be its chance as it’s a significant sport in Australia
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:09 pm Things in the Olympics:
Surfing
Beach volleyball
Break dancing
Climbing

Squash
Netball

I rest my case.
They should be... I'm ok with climbing because it's physical and measurable. Farthest, quickest etc.. I heard they want to bring Chess in, a great game, even to watch. But, like darts, pool, snooker, not a sport.
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jimstorrie wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:20 am There are many what I would call subjective Sports here.
It's because they're art forms and very difficult to score really, even the scorers use experience as a method. Once heard a judge in ice dance once say he scored one pair higher because they'd been doing it longer and the new couple needed a few tournaments to build up that recognition!!
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

Fiji looking strong in rugby 7s.
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Jaydog »

The Subhuman wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:09 am They should be... I'm ok with climbing because it's physical and measurable. Farthest, quickest etc.. I heard they want to bring Chess in, a great game, even to watch. But, like darts, pool, snooker, not a sport.
I’d like to know the process by which a “sport” is included or excluded.
Netball and squash are/were excluded due to lack of global presence.
Netball is considered to be of importance mainly in commonwealth countries. I actually went to see it with my wife at the games in Birmingham.
But of course Breaking and climbing has world appeal. And beach volleyball is a world recognised sport steeped in history. Or maybe for the small costumes.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:51 am I’d like to know the process by which a “sport” is included or excluded.
Netball and squash are/were excluded due to lack of global presence.
Netball is considered to be of importance mainly in commonwealth countries. I actually went to see it with my wife at the games in Birmingham.
But of course Breaking and climbing has world appeal. And beach volleyball is a world recognised sport steeped in history. Or maybe for the small costumes.
Break dancing isn't a sport... it's an art form. Will we see Strictly in the next Olympics?

Netball is a great game to watch and play, and I have, as we guys used to have pre season games to help Woking netball team get in shape for the new season when I was in my twenties. Great fun and we won a couple over the years in maybe 12 games.
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Jaydog »

The Subhuman wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:58 am Break dancing isn't a sport... it's an art form. Will we see Strictly in the next Olympics?

Netball is a great game to watch and play, and I have, as we guys used to have pre season games to help Woking netball team get in shape for the new season when I was in my twenties. Great fun and we won a couple over the years in maybe 12 games.
It just gets sillier & sillier. Like you say breaking is an art. Impossible to judge in terms of Olympics.

Never played netball but watched my daughter play many times and my wife played years ago.
Also watched daughter play basketball but much prefer the more traditional netball.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

In a packed stadium Fiji make short work of France in the Rugby 7's
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

3 golds in a row highly probable with the 😃 Fijians.