Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Post Reply
Manchester City v Leeds United
Manchester City
Manchester City
2–1
Premier League
06/05/2023
Etihad Stadium
⚽ Moreno
Leeds United
Leeds United
All-time record vs Manchester City
112
Played
43
Won
18
Drawn
51
Lost
-36
GD
38%
Win %
Away record
56
Played
14
Won
9
Drawn
33
Lost
-53
GD
25%
Win %
DateGroundScoreCompetition
28/12/2022 Elland Road 1–3 L Premier League ↗
30/04/2022 Elland Road 0–4 L Premier League ↗
14/12/2021 Etihad Stadium 7–0 L Premier League ↗
10/04/2021 Etihad Stadium 1–2 W Premier League ↗
03/10/2020 Elland Road 1–1 D Premier League ↗
All-time top scorers vs Manchester City
#PlayerGoals
1 Peter Lorimer 7
2 Allan Clarke 5
3 Charlie Keetley 5
4 Jack Charlton 4
5 Mark Viduka 3
Starting XI
Goa Robles
Def Ayling ©
Def Wober
Def Firpo
Mid McKennie
Mid Roca
Mid Gnonto
Mid Forshaw
Mid Harrison
For Bamford
Substitutes
Unused Substitutes
-- Meslier
-- Koch
-- Rutter
-- Gray
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21210
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 6:13 pm Could have been an absolute cricket score 1st half.

Haaland on a one man mission not to score against us

Robles did well largely

McKennie and Forshaw were okish

Roca was a waste of space

Full backs struggled as did Bamford and Gnonto but a lot of that was not to many opportunities, however did nothing with what they had (same for Harrison(

Hard to say about Kristensen and Wober because it was only 2 but could have been 6 or 7.

Hopefully never see Rodrigo on the wing again but took his goal well

Didn't Hammer our goal difference though which us good

Definitely the most negative performance I've ever ever seen but needs must I guess
It wasn’t though. If we took every chance we had in all our games we wouldn’t be in the s**t.
They had an off day, who gives a s**t, that’s their problem.
How would you set up v City. Have a go? Then I’ll guarantee it’s a cricket score. It was the best possible outcome bar an unlikely draw and hopefully some confidence taken forward. No idea what else he could have done tbh.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41784
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Cjay »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 6:24 pm It wasn’t though. If we took every chance we had in all our games we wouldn’t be in the s**t.
They had an off day, who gives a s**t, that’s their problem.
How would you set up v City. Have a go? Then I’ll guarantee it’s a cricket score. It was the best possible outcome bar an unlikely draw and hopefully some confidence taken forward. No idea what else he could have done tbh.
Was like a training game for Man City most of it lol.

We had 18% possession which I imagine is a record for us.

I'm content with the result :)

Will judge Sam more on the next 3.

Hopefully a bit more attacking.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21210
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 6:27 pm Was like a training game for Man City most of it lol.

We had 18% possession which I imagine is a record for us.

I'm content with the result :)

Will judge Sam more on the next 3.

Hopefully a bit more attacking.
Course it was. They ripped Arsenal to shreds the other day after all.
I was more interested in getting a bit of confidence and you won’t get that from a 7-0 beating.
Bound to be more attacking at home
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19720
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 6:13 pm Definitely the most negative performance I've ever ever seen but needs must I guess
I wouldn't blame SA totally for the negative nature of the performance as I think a lot of it was down to the players lacking self belief and being low on confidence. Whilst I think SA wanted us to be defensive I think he would have wanted us to be far better in possession and cause City more problems. It seemed every time we had the ball we cleared it aimlessly, gave it back to Man City or were unable to control a pass. As such we end up going deeper and deeper as the defence has no time to get out.

Hopefully he can work on the confidence side of things as it makes a huge difference and we can show a bit more fight against Newcastle.

I would say we were more passive when we played Man City earlier in the season (when we lost 3-1) where we simply offered no threat until 3-0 down when City switched into relax mode.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19720
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 5:40 pm Didn't manage to see any of it, but the fact he's started Firpo has left me drained.

He can't have done his homework.

I suppose the result at 2-1 shows some encouragement,down to us ? Or down to Citeh strolling for Tuesday ?

I dunno.
To be honest what are the options? The only other option is presumably Struyjk and he has been awful for a couple of months. When we looked reasonably secure at the start of Gracia's short reign Firpo was playing and did reasonably well. Firpo did okay today, not great, not sh*t. Struyjk came on and gave away a needless penalty, I don't think he is the answer or Harrison either who looked like he didn't like it when playing there recently.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21210
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 7:24 pm To be honest what are the options? The only other option is presumably Struyjk and he has been awful for a couple of months. When we looked reasonably secure at the start of Gracia's short reign Firpo was playing and did reasonably well. Firpo did okay today, not great, not sh*t. Struyjk came on and gave away a needless penalty, I don't think he is the answer or Harrison either who looked like he didn't like it when playing there recently.
Sure about that.
Check that pen. Great challenge. Just so well timed it fools the ref.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79199
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Manchester City v Leeds Utd Match Thread - The coronation of Big Sam: Can he lead Leeds to victory?

Post by The Subhuman »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 6:11 pm Bamford made it easy for them to defend today. In my view he played too centrally to be an effective outlet. And he was static. Every time the ball was played to him the two Center Backs just converged. If Bamford reads the play and moves left or right he might create some one v one situations where he could hold the ball up or bring others into play.
Which is likely the role he was asked to play ...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155445
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by 1964white »

Very difficult afternoon for Paddy playing against two international top class centre-backs whom have played at the highest level prior to the careers at Citeh.
mabull63
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:44 pm

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by mabull63 »

As a long-standing supporter of Leeds (53 years) I feel strangely relieved this evening due to an improved second half and the use of a better system for this match. We have to try to win both home games and will have to take more risks to do so, otherwise we will be relegated and this is a mental/psychological battle for the players. Have they got the courage to try to win at home? We need to continue with 3 players in midfield to match up with Newcastle and we have got to pass the ball to a much higher standard. Is this the same McKennie who played for the USA at the World Cup? I do not recognise him. Greenwood is regarded as a technically strong player but he is also not passing the ball well at all. Nevertheless, we ought to go with Forshaw, Gyabi and Greenwood against Newcastle in order to stop constantly giving the ball back to the opposition. Drop Bamford and select Rodrigo from the start. Koch needs to be restored if fit enough. At least tonight there is some hope because last Sunday evenng all hope seemed to have evaporated.
King Hennessy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:04 am

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by King Hennessy »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 4:52 pm 100% ball first. And he doesn’t exactly clatter Foden who goes down like a sack of s**t.
You’re right, justice was served. The ball knew Foden is a cheating twat.
What I like is the absolute bollocking Haaland & Gunderman get from Pep. He subs Gunda minutes later and doesn’t look at him in passing. If we’d got a draw he would have had a total meltdown
I had a brief moment of belief that they could tie it. It really would of been something. Nonetheless it seemed it could be a second half performance to build on in the relegation battle. We can only hope.
From a far away land that some call "Chiraq"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155445
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by 1964white »

SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23197
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by SG90 »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 6:44 pm Course it was. They ripped Arsenal to shreds the other day after all.
I was more interested in getting a bit of confidence and you won’t get that from a 7-0 beating.
Bound to be more attacking at home
Exactly, not sure what people want. Last season everyone complained we were too open and we should've parked the bus. Even 2 years ago, we only had 2 shots in the whole game. The most important thing was not destroying the GD.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155445
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by 1964white »

How come doesn't Firpo get an assist for Rodrigo's goal?

He wins the ball in the air & which goes forward into the path of Rodders.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155445
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by 1964white »

First time Citeh haven't scored three or more goals at the Etihad in seven games.

Three of those seven games:

4 Arsenal
4 Liverpool
3 Bayern Munich
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21210
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Jaydog »

SG90 wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 7:54 pm Exactly, not sure what people want. Last season everyone complained we were too open and we should've parked the bus. Even 2 years ago, we only had 2 shots in the whole game. The most important thing was not destroying the GD.
Watched the Sky highlights afterwards and wondered why I find the McKennie header amusing. I mean the worlds fattest footballer (allegedly) finds it within himself to fight gravity and remove himself (briefly) from gods earth and nearly scores. Good save mind
you.
That was McKennie wasn’t it?
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155445
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 8:09 pm Watched the Sky highlights afterwards and wondered why I find the McKennie header amusing. I mean the worlds fattest footballer (allegedly) finds it within himself to fight gravity and remove himself (briefly) from gods earth and nearly scores. Good save mind
you.
That was McKennie wasn’t it?
I suspect McKennie doesn't shop at Waitrose :lol:
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21210
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 8:35 pm I suspect McKennie doesn't shop at Waitrose :lol:
Burger King 8-)
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
King Hennessy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:04 am

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by King Hennessy »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 8:09 pm Watched the Sky highlights afterwards and wondered why I find the McKennie header amusing. I mean the worlds fattest footballer (allegedly) finds it within himself to fight gravity and remove himself (briefly) from gods earth and nearly scores. Good save mind
you.
That was McKennie wasn’t it?
Besides Summerville, and Gnonto, Mckennie is the most athletic player we have. (While Sini & Adams) are injured. He gets a lot of stick for his body type which is weird for me coming from other males. But he can get up and down the pitch and he definitely can leap. He can and does run circles around Roca.
From a far away land that some call "Chiraq"
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21210
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Jaydog »

King Hennessy wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 8:50 pm Besides Summerville, and Gnonto, Mckennie is the most athletic player we have. (While Sini & Adams) are injured. He gets a lot of stick for his body type which is weird for me coming from other males. But he can get up and down the pitch and he definitely can leap. He can and does run circles around Roca.
I was just kidding tbh. Not really judging him.
Making a joke about his “alleged” body weight.
If he shows a bit more fight like today then it can’t hurt
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79199
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by The Subhuman »

McKennie best of the midfielders for me today ....
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Post Reply