It's a bit too much £ for someone made of nut brittle (IMO) but I am not against paying that kind of wage for someone worth it. I think Trafford will be worth it...The Subhuman wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 4:31 pm Someone from close or at the club said DCL earned 100k plus 20k guaranteed in weekly bonuses as a minumum. He intimated it was north of that. But can't remember where I bloody read it, I'm extremely sceptical of most reports and rumours but something about this one had me thinking it were true..
It does seem we pay bonuses on top of salaries and 120-125K per week seems right for DCL...
James Trafford
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Victor_OTT_17
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 3289
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am
- Location: Ontario, Canada
- Contact:
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79056
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
I don't care how much they earn but it has to be factored into any cost discussion. We keep hearing DCL was a free, he's anything but. No such thing.Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 4:37 pm It's a bit too much £ for someone made of nut brittle (IMO) but I am not against paying that kind of wage for someone worth it. I think Trafford will be worth it...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Victor_OTT_17
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 3289
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am
- Location: Ontario, Canada
- Contact:
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
Exactly this ^^The Subhuman wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 4:39 pm I don't care how much they earn but it has to be factored into any cost discussion. We keep hearing DCL was a free, he's anything but. No such thing.
Brandt (like Wilson) won't be free either but he'll be worth is. I'd be extremely happy if we could get Trafford/Brandt over the line!
- Barlow Boy
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 11781
- Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
Like you, I take these salary reports with a pinch of salt. Virtually nobody has any real specific details of the salary packages and rightly so.The Subhuman wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 4:31 pm Someone from close or at the club said DCL earned 100k plus 20k guaranteed in weekly bonuses as a minumum. He intimated it was north of that. But can't remember where I bloody read it, I'm extremely sceptical of most reports and rumours but something about this one had me thinking it were true..
It does seem we pay bonuses on top of salaries and 120-125K per week seems right for DCL...
We will have to pay whatever we have to pay, if we want the best though.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
- Rook
- First Team

- Posts: 1513
- Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:02 pm
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
I'm really hoping that this one happens.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79056
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
1. Striker
2. Charles
3. Trafford
4. Brandt
5 cover CB
is my really want list
2. Charles
3. Trafford
4. Brandt
5 cover CB
is my really want list
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79056
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
Guardian reporting 50M for Trafford atm, bottom paragraph. Think that what Newcastle journalists were reporting and they dropped out
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ack-injury
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ack-injury
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- weasel
- Superstar

- Posts: 19701
- Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
- Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
I don't think City had a buy back clause as such. They had an option to match the bid if any other club was interested, and presumably first rights as long as they matched the other club's offer. In this case it was Newcastle who made a bid that Burnley accepted (as I think Trafford indicated he wanted to move). Man City then were able to match it or decide against buying him.The Subhuman wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 2:36 pm He better be good then.. interestingly, and I forgot this, Burnley had to sell him back to Man City as they had the buy back, so to keep the cost down I can see us agreeing to that also. He's 20M for me maybe 25 at a push, same as Charles. 25 would be my limit there, don't think we've offered as much as 25 yet though
Odds of "undisclosed sum" to keep us in the dark?
As such I don't think City would have been able to get him back unless Burnley accepted an offer from another club or City themselves - I don't think they actually had a specific buy back clause for a certain amount.
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79056
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
Waccoe itk says it's a done deal ....
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Barlow Boy
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 11781
- Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79056
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Victor_OTT_17
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 3289
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am
- Location: Ontario, Canada
- Contact:
Re: Trafford for £50m. Record LU wage earner. WR release fee!!!
We could pay up to £50m for Trafford smashing the club transfer record we will make him our highest earner. His release fee will be the highest ever for a goalkeeper: a whopping £75m!!!
https://sports.yahoo.com/articles/james ... 00655.html
https://sports.yahoo.com/articles/james ... 00655.html
- Carrick Dave
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 6754
- Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:46 pm
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
Having Trafford for two seasons before he’s poached again would help guarantee Leeds stability in the Premier League
- Musicman1965
- First Team

- Posts: 2144
- Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:11 pm
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
Top man, worth every Perri
- whiteinfrance
- Manager

- Posts: 3553
- Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:38 am
- Location: Now Scarborough UK
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
Trafford odds 1/5 ! To Leeds
Bookies must know something
By the way City fans going 50/50 wanting Trafford or Donnarumma
They are also saying Trafford is World Class!
Bookies must know something
By the way City fans going 50/50 wanting Trafford or Donnarumma
They are also saying Trafford is World Class!
YES!! I'm living in SCARBADOS!! Underneath the palm trees!
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41707
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
I'm still really unsure about this (especially at the likely prices).
If he wasn't English and people weren't familiar with him would the reaction be the same?
Spanish for example, standout in Segunda with a limited/poor La Liga record for a relegated side then sat on the bench at Barcelona for example?
At half the price sure (£10-15mil) but he's going to be two, three times that.
Talented Trafford but I'd still have preferred the Japanese guy I think.
If he wasn't English and people weren't familiar with him would the reaction be the same?
Spanish for example, standout in Segunda with a limited/poor La Liga record for a relegated side then sat on the bench at Barcelona for example?
At half the price sure (£10-15mil) but he's going to be two, three times that.
Talented Trafford but I'd still have preferred the Japanese guy I think.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79056
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
Bit like us calling Gnonto world class, you can think it and he maybe at some point he will be but he isn't yet. He's championship proven, no evience he's premiership proven. He didn't play well for City in the brief time he was number 1 for them, hence a quick switch to Donnarumma who's far from top quality himselfwhiteinfrance wrote: ↑Fri Jul 24, 2026 1:39 pm Trafford odds 1/5 ! To Leeds
Bookies must know something
By the way City fans going 50/50 wanting Trafford or Donnarumma
They are also saying Trafford is World Class!
The gamble at 50M is akin to the gamble of signing Charles for 30, a signing I'd love to see go through still.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- BlackHillsPaul
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 4517
- Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
- Location: Arizona, USA
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
I think this is a GREAT point! What if his name was Chris Brady for example. He was also a third choice keeper on a World Cup squad that made it to the round of sixteen. He's 6ft 3in and 22 years old. He's never played in he Premier League, but he has played over 100 matches in a league roughly equal to the Championship. Comes from a Country that has sent a number of quality keepers to English football. Guys that were long term starting keepers in the EPL. Not saying he's as good as Trafford. just saying they have a similar CV and characteristics. And would cost a fraction of the price. But I am CERTAIN he won't get the same reaction.Cjay wrote: ↑Fri Jul 24, 2026 10:34 pm I'm still really unsure about this (especially at the likely prices).
If he wasn't English and people weren't familiar with him would the reaction be the same?
Spanish for example, standout in Segunda with a limited/poor La Liga record for a relegated side then sat on the bench at Barcelona for example?
At half the price sure (£10-15mil) but he's going to be two, three times that.
Talented Trafford but I'd still have preferred the Japanese guy I think.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
- malcolmw
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 3715
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
- Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
I think he is a significant step up i quality from any keeper we've had in a while.The Subhuman wrote: ↑Fri Jul 24, 2026 10:43 pm Bit like us calling Gnonto world class, you can think it and he maybe at some point he will be but he isn't yet. He's championship proven, no evience he's premiership proven. He didn't play well for City in the brief time he was number 1 for them, hence a quick switch to Donnarumma who's far from top quality himself
The gamble at 50M is akin to the gamble of signing Charles for 30, a signing I'd love to see go through still.
Although be didnt get many starts last season, his stats were 2nd best in the league. He is a quality player trapped in a gazillion pound squad.
Interesting comparison made to when Leeds signed Nigel Martin - that deal would've been over 35 million in today's money.
If this gets over the line, and we can get Julian Brandt, it would be an amazing summer transfer window, with real intent shown by ownership.
- malcolmw
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 3715
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
- Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada
Re: James Trafford- deal progressing
Just to add to that. Most analysts are sure Trafford will replace Pickford as England's No. 1 - he just needs to be starting regularly - which Leeds will give him.malcolmw wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2026 4:32 am I think he is a significant step up i quality from any keeper we've had in a while.
Although be didnt get many starts last season, his stats were 2nd best in the league. He is a quality player trapped in a gazillion pound squad.
Interesting comparison made to when Leeds signed Nigel Martin - that deal would've been over 35 million in today's money.
If this gets over the line, and we can get Julian Brandt, it would be an amazing summer transfer window, with real intent shown by ownership.
Absolute quality signing. I doubt we'll pay more than 40million - which is still worth it. Really hope we seem him in a Leeds shirt soon.
Trafford, James
