Nice. Gets very good scores on Cellartracker.
How was it?

Nice. Gets very good scores on Cellartracker.




Surprisingly good for the money.

2008 was banging for Champagne with 2009 being a fantastic year in Bordeaux.

Good descriptionJammy 07 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 4:49 pm Surprisingly good for the money.
Nice fruit with cedar on the nose and whilst the tannins have softened nicely there's still enough acidity to balance it out. Plenty of life in it provided bottles have been stored correctly but as it's in a great place right now I'd be drinking them up if I had any left![]()

Ah yes. Fantastically nuanced if memory serves.

Legendary for Champagne but as you say re 09/10 in Bordeaux you pay a lot more for lauded vintages.

What about aged Bordeaux Blanc?



See it, we're drowning in the bloody stuff in the UK

Well buy some and thank me later

Great question although Haut Brion takes some beating.Jammy 07 wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 5:20 pm Just as a conversation point what's the oldest wine anyone has been lucky enough to try and how was it.
For me it was a 1957 Haut Brion which I bought at auction about 20 years ago. Only cost £100 as the level was a bit down but still roughly high shoulder. Took a gamble really as was sort of expecting it to be undrinkable.
Opened it in a French restaurant located in the Dust Thani Hotel Bangkok and it was amazingly good with so much cedar both in the mouth and on the nose. It doesn't score well at all in reviews but the one I had was a joy.
Actually just remembered I've had bottle of port from 1950 as well which was ok but port is not really my thing to be honest.


Pretty much my view of wine, Hector.


I would point out that the title of the thread is ‘The Wine Thread’……….which doesn’t suggest that unappreciative views of wine can not be expressed

I would have gone with your dad.Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:50 pm Pretty much my view of wine, Hector.
I will drink fizz and some cold white wine, but as a rule not a fan. I’ll stick to beer.
I didn’t inherit my Dad’s love of wine that’s for sure. He used to go on summer trips-tours around the Chateau’s of France, as well as Spain and Portugal.
After he passed away in April, I’ve been trying to sort out things in his house and keep coming across bottles of wine, some of which I’ve brought home to Cardiff.
No idea if these are any good, but Mrs Muppet is working her way through them, as she is a wine drinker.
IMG_1298.jpeg