weasel wrote: ↑Tue May 19, 2026 4:51 pm
The tricky part though is that how do you give him a starting place over someone else when he seems to constantly be injured? So you drop someone, might hvae them be a bit upset, and then the next match Bornauw is injured. Bornauw needs to prove he can be dependable before he can realistically compete for a regular starting place.
Rodon has shown that he will play through the pain, won't give up his place lightly. Bijol seems to be of a similar mindset and Struyjk, until recently has been fairly much injury free. We then also have Justin who has done well at centreback and seems to have no injury issues. As such Bornauw finds himself 5th choice until he can show his body can stand up to the rigours of being a regular starter.
Ball is presumably in his court in regards to if he stays. If he goes elsewhere he will have the same problem unless he can stay injury free.
Agree Weasel. Which is why I think he will stay. Farke wants him in the squad and he seems to have enjoyed his his season - in spite of not starting much.
If Pascal does leave (I for one hope he doesnt), Boarnaauw will be more important.
And as I have said you ain't going to drop someone to play him until he can have a decent injury free period. You dodn't want to drop someone to play Bornauw, then Bornauw gets injured around the 70th minute and as such then the other player comes back in and starts again for the next few matches whilst Bornauw gets fit again.
A bit like the Byram situation in that he may want more games but his body won't allow him to be a permanent starter.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm
I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm
Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
The Subhuman wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2026 9:50 am
Where do you play him. Rodon is immense, you're not not starting Muha. In place of Bijol with Rodon as sweeper?
Bijol Is 1st choice imo.
I'd have no hesitation of playing Bornauw for Joe I don't think is anything between them.
Cjay wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2026 10:57 am
Bijol Is 1st choice imo.
I'd have no hesitation of playing Bornauw for Joe I don't think is anything between them.
Not a bad situation to be in though.
I'd rate Joe a lot higher but even if you classed them as equals the big difference is that with Rodon if his leg fell off you'd just stick it back on with a plaster and he'd carry on playing.
I'd see a fully fit, injury free, Bornauw as more of a threat to Bijol.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm
I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm
Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
I rate Bornauw: always have since he pulled on the shirt. But him being prone to injury will play into the scenario so it is never going to go well for him when it comes to first name on the team sheet. And that my friends, is life. I hope we can keep hold of him. More than dependable...
Cjay wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2026 10:57 am
Bijol Is 1st choice imo.
I'd have no hesitation of playing Bornauw for Joe I don't think is anything between them.
Not a bad situation to be in though.
Joe's recovery speed is absolutely necessary, He came from a long way upfield to get back and block a cross. Defensively there may not be much between them but Joes speed gives him a big edge
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
weasel wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2026 11:02 am
I'd rate Joe a lot higher but even if you classed them as equals the big difference is that with Rodon if his leg fell off you'd just stick it back on with a plaster and he'd carry on playing.
I'd see a fully fit, injury free, Bornauw as more of a threat to Bijol.
Fair point about the injuries
Imo Bijol is the best pure defender at the club by quite a distance.
Overall I'd put Rodon and Bornauw about level pegging.
With the caveat Rodon has played far more so far more opportunities for mistakes.
Cjay wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2026 12:44 pm
Fair point about the injuries
Imo Bijol is the best pure defender at the club by quite a distance.
Overall I'd put Rodon and Bornauw about level pegging.
With the caveat Rodon has played far more so far more opportunities for mistakes.
Bijol is the best stand still in the box defender, gets turned too easily and to slow to recover. Why he often looks good is he's missing and "can't be blamed" whereas Struijk who covered for Bijol a lot last season us there to make a mistake, which was rare.
Bijol is a very good sweeper, I think Muha is better but that means no defensive left sided CB, Rodon and Bijol can't play there. Bornauw's struggled a bit that side..
Our best in a five are Rodon - Bijol - Muharemovic. Our best in a four are Rodon-Muharemovic.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
The Subhuman wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2026 1:03 pm
Bijol is the best stand still in the box defender, gets turned too easily and to slow to recover. Why he often looks good is he's missing and "can't be blamed" whereas Struijk who covered for Bijol a lot last season us there to make a mistake, which was rare.
Bijol is a very good sweeper, I think Muha is better but that means no defensive left sided CB, Rodon and Bijol can't play there. Bornauw's struggled a bit that side..
Our best in a five are Rodon - Bijol - Muharemovic. Our best in a four are Rodon-Muharemovic.
If we had a 1v1 situation or a cross into the box it's Bijol I'd want.
If we had a foot race it's probably Rodon.
But you play Bijol centre of a back 3 and he's going to dominate.
Imo was our 2nd best player behind Amps last season.
I don't think we can play a back 4 at this level anyway, Rodon or Bijol won't matter we'd concede for fun.
Cjay wrote: ↑Mon Aug 10, 2026 3:44 pm
Reports from Germany say Hamburg are closing in on a loan with an option to buy.
We will also pay the larger portion of his salary.
Hopefully nonsense because it makes no sense to make our squad weaker and pay for the privilege
Does sound a strange one... Replacing him would cost 10M plus as he proven prem now, unless we plan to promote Cresswell to our back up CB so we don't make the same mistake as last time. Think the Niners know they fucked up there
Option to buy does us no favours either.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Cjay wrote: ↑Mon Aug 10, 2026 3:44 pm
Reports from Germany say Hamburg are closing in on a loan with an option to buy.
We will also pay the larger portion of his salary.
Hopefully nonsense because it makes no sense to make our squad weaker and pay for the privilege
For once I would find myself agreeing with you. It is hardly like he is a young player needing minutes or someone we have no use for. As such the only way I would let him go on loan would be if they were either paying us a sizeable loan fee (and full wages) or there was an obligation to buy at a decent amount for us.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm
I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm
Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
Cjay wrote: ↑Mon Aug 10, 2026 3:44 pm
Reports from Germany say Hamburg are closing in on a loan with an option to buy.
We will also pay the larger portion of his salary.
Hopefully nonsense because it makes no sense to make our squad weaker and pay for the privilege
I call bullshit on these reports. There is NO WAY we let him go out on loan, with an option to buy, and retain part of his salary. The only time that makes any sense is if you are dying to get rid of someone. And I don't think that's the case with Bornauw.