Heckingbottom has gone

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11902
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
Twitter: @EllandBack1
Location: The truth is out there

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by Ellandback1 »

‏

@PhilHayYEP
Message from the Leeds end is that the head coach’s appointment has a way to go yet but contacts in Spain believe the process with Bielsa is a good way down the line. They only make the point that Bielsa is difficult to second guess. #lufc
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by dezzy »

Best of luck to the guy in the future, came into Leeds when we were in a bad way, but enough points to be comfortable to any real threat of relegation, even with how poorly we played.
He took on a tough job, he’d be a grand fit for a mid table championship side, a side we currently are, but not for where we want to get to.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23197
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by SG90 »

It was always a case of when, not if. I just think this whole appointment was pointless and a waste of money. I don't hate him or wish him any ill, but whether deserved or not, he'll go down as one of our worst managers. Next appointment has to be not only good, but a long term option.
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by becchio bear »

Ellandback1 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:12 pm Becchio Bear would need to get a bigger shed... :) :) :)
My shed is huge :-D I had an extension in the close season ;-) :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by becchio bear »

SG90 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:13 pm It was always a case of when, not if. I just think this whole appointment was pointless and a waste of money. I don't hate him or wish him any ill, but whether deserved or not, he'll go down as one of our worst managers. Next appointment has to be not only good, but a long term option.
Warnock was worse in my view....... :evil: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23197
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by SG90 »

becchio bear wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:20 pm Warnock was worse in my view....... :evil: :bear:
You won't find me disagreeing! :tup:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155481
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:11 pm Best of luck to the guy in the future, came into Leeds when we were in a bad way, but enough points to be comfortable to any real threat of relegation, even with how poorly we played.
He took on a tough job, he’d be a grand fit for a mid table championship side, a side we currently are, but not for where we want to get to.
Nice post Dezzy

Both Christiansen & Hecky inherited a squad with holes in it & no spine

Good luck to both
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23197
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by SG90 »

I wonder if he'll go back to Barnsley?
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155481
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:13 pm It was always a case of when, not if. I just think this whole appointment was pointless and a waste of money. I don't hate him or wish him any ill, but whether deserved or not, he'll go down as one of our worst managers. Next appointment has to be not only good, but a long term option.
Managing one of weakest squads with no bottle I've witnessed
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:22 pm Nice post Dezzy

Both Christiansen & Hecky inherited a squad with holes in it & no spine

Good luck to both
Spot on
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by becchio bear »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:22 pm Nice post Dezzy

Both Christiansen & Hecky inherited a squad with holes in it & no spine

Good luck to both
Pfffft, I don't wish good luck to any sacked manager, they leave with a handsome payout that most of us could only wish for and then usually just step into another position and if they get sacked the cycle continues :evil: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155481
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:16 pm I think this managers own player thing is a fallacy these days, they really shouldn't get the time to do their own scouting worldwide.
Managers watch plenty of football & have the knowledge to assess decent/average/poor players. Last season as a fan I often thought at games I wouldn't mind that player wearing the white shirt of Leeds, then there were players we were touted with I wasn't at all impressed, McBurnie for one. I could have stripped half of some teams to see players of the calibre required to play for Leeds & that was just in the championship !
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155481
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 pm Pfffft, I don't wish good luck to any sacked manager, they leave with a handsome payout that most of us could only wish for and then usually just step into another position and if they get sacked the cycle continues :evil: :bear:
I don't feel sorry for them for the reasons you highlighted young lady, both inherited poor quality/lazy players, even Guardiola couldn't have got much out of that poor squad.

As you say they will go on to make a very comfortable living out of achieving nothing in football. Failed managers in civvy street are rarely given a second chance in a managerial role
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79212
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:42 pm Managers watch plenty of football & have the knowledge to assess decent/average/poor players. Last season as a fan I often thought at games I wouldn't mind that player wearing the white shirt of Leeds, then there were players we were touted with I wasn't at all impressed, McBurnie for one. I could have stripped half of some teams to see players of the calibre required to play for Leeds & that was just in the championship !
Yes but how much did you see of the serie B or Spanish second division players .It's very rare that teams just buy from the UK these days and scouting has to be world wide
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18359
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by Muppet the Cat »

becchio bear wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:20 pm Warnock was worse in my view....... :evil: :bear:
BB - Warnock has done more than OK at Cardiff.

He was never given the backing in my opinion.
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 pm As I said on another topic Harry, our owners haven't got it right in decades. Our current lot are now on their third managerial appointment in twelve months

And then if it goes tits up once again everyone will blame the manager :roll:
Yep so far it's been a very familiar pattern. Hopefully they have learnt from theirs and others mistakes and get things right this season. But I wouldn't bet on it.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
rab_rant

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by rab_rant »

Bielsa has the CV but he also has a history of walking if he does not get his own way.
If there is a crash of heads over buying players then I don't see it working out well
In addition he does not speak English, which is a definite drawback if you are trying
to communicate your ideas, and could lead to no end of frustration to both the manager
and players, and that is a recipe for disaster.

I would have preferred Ranieri... at least he could talk Italian to Radridzanni and knock
some footballing sense into him.

I await the appointment of the next manager with some trepidation... We can't afford
to get it wrong... too many false dawns of hope.
Tradeladder
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 6:59 am

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by Tradeladder »

:tup:
tomat26 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:39 pm Thank f**k...now let's get a decent manager.....my club has been an embarrassment for far too long !!!

MOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4912
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by NorfolkWhite »

becchio bear wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:20 pm Warnock was worse in my view....... :evil: :bear:
Dislike that man intensely - don’t care about his record elsewhere - the day he proclaimed Paddy Kenny the best GK not just in the Div but in the PL as well all credibility was gone. Lived up to his Colin moniker perfectly. I suspect Cardiff will be rid of him next season by Xmas.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5801
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Heckingbottom has gone

Post by Genghers »

dezzy wrote: ↑Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:11 pm Best of luck to the guy in the future, came into Leeds when we were in a bad way, but enough points to be comfortable to any real threat of relegation, even with how poorly we played.
He took on a tough job, he’d be a grand fit for a mid table championship side, a side we currently are, but not for where we want to get to.
He came in when were in a bad way and somehow made us worse! Was a ridiculous appointment / time to make a change imo. As you say, we had enough points that we weren't likely to go down and TC already had form at turning us around... ah well, c'est la vie.

Bielsa is an exciting link because it clearly shows ambition - he's managed at a high level in a number of countries, has international experience and took Bilbao to the Europa final, beating Scum (amongst others).

His temperament could be an issue, but at least he has some fire! The last of our managers to have that was probably Colin...
Post Reply