Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread. The Debrief Live at 7pm this evening.

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Post Reply
Arsenal v Leeds United
Arsenal
Arsenal
2–1
Premier League
08/05/2022
Emirates Stadium
Leeds United
Leeds United
All-time record vs Arsenal
129
Played
41
Won
33
Drawn
55
Lost
-52
GD
32%
Win %
Away record
67
Played
15
Won
15
Drawn
37
Lost
-61
GD
22%
Win %
DateGroundScoreCompetition
18/12/2021 Elland Road 1–4 L Premier League ↗
26/10/2021 Emirates Stadium 2–0 L Carabao Cup, 4th Round ↗
14/02/2021 Emirates Stadium 4–2 L Premier League ↗
22/11/2020 Elland Road 0–0 D Premier League ↗
06/01/2020 Emirates Stadium 1–0 L FA Cup 3rd Round ↗
All-time top scorers vs Arsenal
#PlayerGoals
1 Peter Lorimer 9
2 Tom Jennings 8
3 Lee Chapman 7
4 Allan Clarke 6
5 Joe Jordan 5
Starting XI
Goa Meslier
Def Ayling ©
Def Koch
Def Llorente
Def Firpo
Mid Klich
Mid Phillips
Mid James
Mid Harrison
For Gelhardt
Substitutes
SUB Bate
SUB Moreno
SUB Struijk
Unused Substitutes
-- Klaesson
-- Hjelde
-- Cresswell
-- Greenwood
-- Shackleton
-- Gray
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 1:16 pm If only the club has listened to the fans rather than being arrogant. They can't even face the music either, like cowards they're hiding.
Just wait for the excuses, I doubt the three amigos will accept responsibility :chair:
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
User avatar
Changnoy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:06 am
Location: Pattaya Thailand

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Changnoy »

Leeds1000 wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 3:31 pm You are already starting to sound like Marsch's teaboy already. :) Do you expect him to be here next season if we go down? If yes make sure you stick around.... ;-)
He wont be sacked....and ive stuck around through 3 relegations before..so wont be going anywhere soon.
I just recognise JM has inherited a crap squad and is making a go at keeping us up.
Time will tell if he's anY good once he gets his own stamp on player purchases.
User avatar
BobHirst
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3453
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:20 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by BobHirst »

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 2:23 pm Those that wanted Bert sacked just quite simply shouldn't be watching football it's not for you.
It would have been much more satisfactory to get relegated and losing a few more games 0-5 0-6 0-7 with Bielsa in charge.
User avatar
Madron
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3662
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 pm

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Madron »

Changnoy wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 3:29 pm We were doing that even in the Championship....and especially where Meslier is concerned.
He is without doubt..a Goalie....in that he has no skill whatsoever with the ball at his feet. You never trap the ball dead under you when someone is pressing you....and to take the ball across his goal line was madness.
But i will say....the players who keep putting it back to him in these situations..when they too have a chance to clear it....are as culpable.
I never understand why it has to be passed back to him so often. It is something that has annoyed me all season. I knew we would pay for it eventually, just a matter of time. The timing (both match and season) couldn't have been much worse.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Jaydog »

Madron wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 3:40 pm I never understand why it has to be passed back to him so often. It is something that has annoyed me all season. I knew we would pay for it eventually, just a matter of time. The timing (both match and season) couldn't have been much worse.
I just can't stand it tbh. Yes playing out from the back including the keeper is fine, don't want to hoof all the time but pick your effing moments and first 10 v Arse on your own goal line is not it. That's when you hoof ffs.
But Ayling gets equal billing as a prize idiot.
Dumb and Dumber
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Madron wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 1:17 pm I'm still fuming with Meslier
Far too laid back, just put your boot through it, as with the rest of our players they always want to take one touch too many or in Jack's case three touches :lol:
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Jaydog »

If you take that result in isolation what did we expect and where did we expect to be at the end of today. Exactly where we are I'd say.
They have nothing to lose now.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Tyzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4216
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Tyzy »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 3:49 pm If you take that result in isolation what did we expect and where did we expect to be at the end of today. Exactly where we are I'd say.
They have nothing to lose now.
The result is what I expected it's Burnley and Everton results which I didnt
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15046
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by YorkshireSquare »

The last two results are probably what we expected but the first 60 minutes today were abject. Everton and Burnley's results over the past couple of weeks have been the real kicker though.
User avatar
Tyzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4216
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Tyzy »

1964white wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 3:24 pm Done the same, Jill & I taking in the sun having a cuppa tea.

Resigned myself to relegation, not going to worry about it any more, if we survive it will be a bonus for me.
Excellent way to look at it 64👍
User avatar
Madron
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3662
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 pm

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Madron »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 3:49 pm If you take that result in isolation what did we expect and where did we expect to be at the end of today. Exactly where we are I'd say.
They have nothing to lose now.
Exactly. In fact, the weekend has probably gone better than I thought it might. Our loss was a virtual given. On the other hand Villa beating Burnley wasn't. Its probably a net gain for us ,believe it or not. From what I gather on here ,I'm probably in the minority and think we'll stay up. I see Burnley possibly losing all 3 remaining games, but feel we will win at least one of ours. We'll see.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Jaydog »

Tyzy wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 3:56 pm The result is what I expected it's Burnley and Everton results which I didnt
I thought Everton would win today. They have the best and most robust squad out of the 3. Our target is Burnley. They will get beat by Spurs next and we have to beat Chelski to pile the pressure on. It's not an as impossible a task as it sounds. They (Chelski) definitely lack confidence atm
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 738
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:47 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Allrounder »

1964white wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 3:47 pm Far too laid back, just put your boot through it, as with the rest of our players they always want to take one touch too many or in Jack's case three touches :lol:
Both Meslier and City's Brazilain goalie love flirting a bit too much with the ball and this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Anyways I am more disappointed with Ayling. You never know what can happen with 11 men. We actually won second half with 10 men.
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13930
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by John in Louisiana »

Bottom line is we need one more point than Burnley over the final three games.

We have Chelsea, Brighton, and Brentford.

They have Tottenham, Villa, and Newcastle.

I rate it a tossup.

If Paddy and Cooper can make it back I will feel a lot better.
User avatar
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11899
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
Twitter: @EllandBack1
Location: The truth is out there

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 3:17 pm Dan James played well in the right WB position and Firpo was better when we went to three at the back. WTF he started with a back 4 is mystifying.
I'd guess its harder to break down two layers of four.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Jaydog »

Allrounder wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 4:03 pm Both Meslier and City's Brazilain goalie love flirting a bit too much with the ball and this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Anyways I am more disappointed with Ayling. You never know what can happen with 11 men. We actually won second half with 10 men.
He deserves all the grief he gets for that.
He took JG with him too.
2-0 is not game over. Next goal is massive but you need 11 v 11 to have a proper go
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Jaydog »

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 4:06 pm Bottom line is we need one more point than Burnley over the final three games.

We have Chelsea, Brighton, and Brentford.

They have Tottenham, Villa, and Newcastle.

I rate it a tossup.

If Paddy and Cooper can make it back I will feel a lot better.
It is a tossup but the coin is weighted slightly in their favour with the dreaded GD
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

William wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 1:20 pm This hoofball is a joy to behold isnt it?
We wouldn't have conceded the first goal had Meslier hoofed it.

There's a time & place for everything.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 1:20 pm Can't play through midfield because the club couldn't find any better than we have for years so we have to hoof
Oh yes, that little excuse our board made in an effort to appease our fans :roll:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: ↑Sun May 08, 2022 1:21 pmJesse Marsch
Not his fault by a long chalk.
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
Post Reply