They look like monsters, rather you then me faaip.faaip wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:54 pm Large 3 bed detached bungalow, just over a third of an acre including the 100 yard drive, there's a bend half way down so there's around 30 yards of hedge behind me (the last 20 yards to the road doesn't have hedge as the drive comes down between two houses,) and the left hand hedge goes right past the house and onto the back fence which is an extra 35 plus yards. Most of the land is in the side and back garden
General Chat
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Byebyegeegee
- First Team

- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:14 pm
- Location: God’s own county (north)
Re: General Chat
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79036
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: General Chat
Other way round, large plot of land between two roads, builder built a close of semi detached bungalows and also down one side of one road, kept the prime peice of land for himself. The drive runs 100 yards down to the house, which sits middle of plot side to side, then the " back" garden runs down to the second roud giving a possible 35 yard frontage if so required. The bungalow could be demolished and a block of flats built or 3 detached/4 semi detached..
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 79036
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: General Chat
It's the depth more than the height, a fully extended hedgetrimmer with me one handing it leaning across the top gets me about a three quaters of the way across ...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20742
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21206
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: General Chat
Really Swannie. Bury St Edmunds. Had loads last night and some more today. Amazing how localised it can be.
I imagined all of Suffolk & Norfolk had seen heavy rain.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155218
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155218
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: General Chat
So is Jill'sMuppet the Cat wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:31 pm The lady from the house a few downs from us is always out the front with the hedge cutter and/or shears. Her frontage displays a very tidy and well maintained bush (and hedge)![]()
- Victor_OTT_17
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 3286
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am
- Location: Ontario, Canada
- Contact:
Re: General Chat
I had acupuncture today for the very first time. Before I explain why I just want to say this first: Sorry to hear of those who are not quite 100%: I sympathise with you all...
So why did I get acupuncture today? Well I've been getting headaches every day for the last 4 years. I've had every test, every drug and it seems like every locum doctor on the case. I have had every scan possible. I first started getting headaches in January 2019. At first we thought it was an eye problem as the pain was in and around my left eye. I went for an eye test and though they said they cannot see why I am having pain, I do actually need glasses. I thought that would be the end of it but no. Even after wearing glasses, me headaches started to get worse and the pain was now in and around both eyes. As mentioned, I had all the tests/scans/x-rays etc.
I was sent to ENT for more tests and even though they saw notyhing untoward, a local doctor decided that I may have a blocked sinus and that is what is casusing the pain. I was treated for a blocked sinus for 2 years and soldiered on at work. I was takling around 12 paracetomols a day just to get through the day to get by. Long story short, this was a daily occurence until 2 months ago so I'd been taking too many paracetomols for 3 and a half years). I went on sick in January (I'm a postman/driver at Royal Mail).
2 months ago, I got to see my actual GP (God knows where he'd been for 4 years). Straight away he said: it is not sinus related or eye related. I think you have nerve damage. Stop taking paracetomol. I stopped straight away. 2 days later the pain reduced but was still there. I started to take a few ibuprofen a day (3 max) and everything was better. The problem with ibuprofen is: they kick off my colitis (I was diagnosed with chronic ulcerative colitis in 2014). It is a vile and savage disease that causes much discomfort and pain (plus you cannot be more than 30 seconds from a toilet). Also, I forgot to mention: due to the pain, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure 2 years ago. And when I say high, I mean dangerously high: like 180/110. I'm on 2 drugs for HBP. My BP is still 160/100 with the pills which is still high.
Anyway, because I went onto ibuprofen to help with the pain: I now have full blown colitis again. I still have severe headaches. I've had to stop taking ibuprofen. I'm back on paracetomol. The problem with paracetomol is they cause high blood pressure and they damage your liver! My days are a cocktail of drugs, pain and discomfort. I've been off work over 6 months so I'm on halp pay now. I recentl;y re-opened my guitar workshop as I need the money.
Today I am worse off than i was in January when I went on sick. Acupuncture is my last throw of the dice. It cost £50 today. That was for consultation and treatment. I'm back tomorrow for treatment (£35). For the next few weeks I will have 2 x treatments (£35 each). Oh also, I wake 2 to 3 times in the night in pain so need to take meds so I'm tired most of the time. This is my last throw of the dice.
TBH I was amazed that the acupuncturist (an older Chinese man) was able to tell me what was wrong with me just by feeling my pulse for around a minute. I was bl;own away. He said what he is doing is not a pain-killer (band aid) but it will lead to a cure! He said I will need just a few weeks and he will cure me! I have nothing to lose.
PS: I am not posting this for sympathy. I'm fine. I can manage the pain and money is not a problem: Royal Mail paid me full wages for 6 months and are now paying me half wages (up to 6 more months). I also own a guitar repair shop on a high street in the next town 4 miles from my home. I can work there around my headaches no problem. I'd give all the money just to be off the drugs and pain.
PPS: I have the best caring/loving/supportive wife on the planet
So why did I get acupuncture today? Well I've been getting headaches every day for the last 4 years. I've had every test, every drug and it seems like every locum doctor on the case. I have had every scan possible. I first started getting headaches in January 2019. At first we thought it was an eye problem as the pain was in and around my left eye. I went for an eye test and though they said they cannot see why I am having pain, I do actually need glasses. I thought that would be the end of it but no. Even after wearing glasses, me headaches started to get worse and the pain was now in and around both eyes. As mentioned, I had all the tests/scans/x-rays etc.
I was sent to ENT for more tests and even though they saw notyhing untoward, a local doctor decided that I may have a blocked sinus and that is what is casusing the pain. I was treated for a blocked sinus for 2 years and soldiered on at work. I was takling around 12 paracetomols a day just to get through the day to get by. Long story short, this was a daily occurence until 2 months ago so I'd been taking too many paracetomols for 3 and a half years). I went on sick in January (I'm a postman/driver at Royal Mail).
2 months ago, I got to see my actual GP (God knows where he'd been for 4 years). Straight away he said: it is not sinus related or eye related. I think you have nerve damage. Stop taking paracetomol. I stopped straight away. 2 days later the pain reduced but was still there. I started to take a few ibuprofen a day (3 max) and everything was better. The problem with ibuprofen is: they kick off my colitis (I was diagnosed with chronic ulcerative colitis in 2014). It is a vile and savage disease that causes much discomfort and pain (plus you cannot be more than 30 seconds from a toilet). Also, I forgot to mention: due to the pain, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure 2 years ago. And when I say high, I mean dangerously high: like 180/110. I'm on 2 drugs for HBP. My BP is still 160/100 with the pills which is still high.
Anyway, because I went onto ibuprofen to help with the pain: I now have full blown colitis again. I still have severe headaches. I've had to stop taking ibuprofen. I'm back on paracetomol. The problem with paracetomol is they cause high blood pressure and they damage your liver! My days are a cocktail of drugs, pain and discomfort. I've been off work over 6 months so I'm on halp pay now. I recentl;y re-opened my guitar workshop as I need the money.
Today I am worse off than i was in January when I went on sick. Acupuncture is my last throw of the dice. It cost £50 today. That was for consultation and treatment. I'm back tomorrow for treatment (£35). For the next few weeks I will have 2 x treatments (£35 each). Oh also, I wake 2 to 3 times in the night in pain so need to take meds so I'm tired most of the time. This is my last throw of the dice.
TBH I was amazed that the acupuncturist (an older Chinese man) was able to tell me what was wrong with me just by feeling my pulse for around a minute. I was bl;own away. He said what he is doing is not a pain-killer (band aid) but it will lead to a cure! He said I will need just a few weeks and he will cure me! I have nothing to lose.
PS: I am not posting this for sympathy. I'm fine. I can manage the pain and money is not a problem: Royal Mail paid me full wages for 6 months and are now paying me half wages (up to 6 more months). I also own a guitar repair shop on a high street in the next town 4 miles from my home. I can work there around my headaches no problem. I'd give all the money just to be off the drugs and pain.
PPS: I have the best caring/loving/supportive wife on the planet
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21206
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: General Chat
Seems you’re in between a rock & a hard place Victor. I’ve heard stories like this before, more specifically the neighbour across the road who’s story sounds very similar to yours. They did the rounds like you but got nowhere. Sorry I don’t have a happy ending but I wish you the best of luck with the acupuncture chap. It’s got to be worth a go. I’m sure some of this is stuff hidden away deep in our psyche. Unlocking it is the problem I guess.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20742
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
Re: General Chat
Ahhhh, a few miles away from me then. I live on (not literally) the river Orwell heading down river towards Felixstowe. The rain completely missed us apart from a few drops a couple of times. I was very disappointed as we were promised thunder and lightning and downpours....sick of this hot weather by the way, my Basset houndie hates it...
- Kennyb41
- Superstar

- Posts: 12426
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
Re: General Chat
Victor, if the acupuncture doesn't work, try getting rid of the woman in your life for a month, send her away on holiday and see if that works, you'll soon find out what it is.
No need pal
No need pal
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game
...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it
" - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Must dash.
;@)
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21206
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: General Chat
I remember our conversation about the Orwell bridge now. Sailing under it. Much cooler and fresher here and the grass is coming back already.whiteswan wrote: ↑Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:29 pm Ahhhh, a few miles away from me then. I live on (not literally) the river Orwell heading down river towards Felixstowe. The rain completely missed us apart from a few drops a couple of times. I was very disappointed as we were promised thunder and lightning and downpours....sick of this hot weather by the way, my Basset houndie hates it...
Exactly what we always think about in a storm, the poor dogs. Stressful
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Muppet the Cat
- Moderator

- Posts: 18304
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
- Location: Cardiff
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21206
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: General Chat
Everything that’s nice is bad for you. Apart from red wine. That’s good for your heart in small quantities. About 6 bottles a week.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Muppet the Cat
- Moderator

- Posts: 18304
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
- Location: Cardiff
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21206
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: General Chat
Fair enough. I drink very light reds with lowish %. Don’t like the heavy ones.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21206
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: General Chat
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Kennyb41
- Superstar

- Posts: 12426
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
Re: General Chat
Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:49 am Not initially, I just ran out of coffee filters, and it took three days to order some more, by which time my brain had seized up.
Don't like the idea of being so dependant on something though, so I'm consciously reducing it now. It's surprised me, as I never have more than one cup a day, albeit about half a pint of expresso.
Maybe it's age, I can't tolerate much alcohol these days either. Used to be a right pisshead.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game
...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it
" - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Must dash.
;@)
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21206
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: General Chat
Thought you were a cask ale girl?Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:32 am I used to like nothing better than an afternoon/ evening in a quiet pub, gently maintaining that two drink buzz for the duration. I never liked getting really drunk, so it was all in the timing.
Can't do it now. Couple of glasses of wine and I'm done, which is prolly for the best.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
-
Mrs64
- Superstar

- Posts: 8202
- Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm
Re: General Chat
Tell me about it, Faaip.
We had a very large garden in Sussex, Privet & Leylandii hedges all round the back of the garden & some at the front of the garden. It use to take me the best part of three days to get the hedges looking beautifully trimmed.