Sunderland - Post Match Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Sunderland - Post Match Discussion

Post by JoeDenver »

BradWhite wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:41 am Before the start of the season we had an exodus of players, I recall many saying that we wouldn't get to the play offs, me included, we had an awful start and we would have settled for a play off place right at that point - yes you would have too.

Then when we had a bit of a run I said we'd finish 6th.

Farke has done a great job however since the international break we have dipped in form, looked leggy and doubt seems to be creeping in, other clubs have had their dips too, Leicester are looking vulnerable but have a game in hand over us, that's pressure too.

We were 17 points behind Leicester at the turn of the new year.

My criticism is the late subs, this isn't new, he's been doing it all season and seems to be trusting Bamford over Piroe or Joseph, I'm not pointing the blame at Bamford here but I don't think he should be playing 80 to 90 minute games when we have fresher players on the bench that can score the goals we need to win games.

It's the closest run in for a while, expectations are high, It's a dip, it happens, the run in is also nervy for the other two sides.

There has to be player changes, if we want automatic promotion, I think 2nd is still possible.

I do worry about the play offs though.
There have to be changes regardless, IMHO. As I mentioned in the Daniel Farke thread, we can either experiment with some changes now to find the increased tempo and win these matches or sleepwalk into the playoffs devoid of any momentum or confidence. Changes are imperative.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:12 am Farke complained about only three minutes added-on time, what the 80+ minutes he wasted with his boring tactics & no urgency with change things when required.
You and I are of the same mind, Leon. I was cursing at the TV when Farke started doing his “Jesse Marsch” impression following the three minutes. My reaction was similar to what I mentioned in previous match threads…he can’t be upset with the lack of added time when he’s been too wasteful and profligate with the time that preceded it.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:17 am I’m not sure if there should’ve been more than 3 tbh.
Didn’t notice a huge amount of time wasting and anyway 3 hours of added on we still wouldn’t have scored.
:lol: :roflmao:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

JoeDenver wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:17 pm You and I are of the same mind, Leon. I was cursing at the TV when Farke started doing his “Jesse Marsch” impression following the three minutes. My reaction was similar to what I mentioned in previous match threads…he can’t be upset with the lack of added time when he’s been too wasteful and profligate with the time that preceded it.
Let's face it Meslier, wastes plenty of time playing footsie, thinking he's Maldini on the ball. :lol:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:25 pm Let's face it Meslier, wastes plenty of time playing footsie, thinking he's Maldini on the ball. :lol:
Yeah then he hoofs it. 10 minutes of tippy tappy with Rodders & Amps first of course.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:49 pm Yeah then he hoofs it. 10 minutes of tippy tappy with Rodders & Amps first of course.
It makes no sense!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

It makes absolutely no sense at all when we are miles in front of Sunderland as a team, a Sunderland team that offered no real threat to our defence at all, and it isn't just Sunderland, we are streets ahead of others with how he's built us.
But what the fck is he doing, it has frustrated the shite out of me all season away, we don't just take ourselves down to their level, WE ACTUALLY DROP 1 LEVEL BELOW THAT!.

We are better Daniel ffs, we just don't need to let the Stokes, Hulls, Sunderlands etc have a feckin sniff.

Bamford just should not be coming soooooooooooooooooooo feckin deep looking for the ball from Rodon and Amps, push the feckers up to play in their final third and not tippy feckin tappy in ours, if you want to be Citeh or Liverpool LOOK WHERE THEIR DAMN DEFENDERS ARE, THEY ARE ON THE HALFWAY LINE FFS, WAITING TO EITHER JOIN IN THE BUILD UP AND ATTACK, OR READY TO WIN IT BACK INSTANTLY AND GO AGAIN and yes ! They leave themselves wide wide open to a counter, but ffs look at the chances they create !!!

Jesus Christ, i just can't calm down man.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:49 pm Yeah then he hoofs it. 10 minutes of tippy tappy with Rodders & Amps first of course.
It also took Summerville at least one minute to take that free-kick, as the ball was blown off the marked area a couple of times due to the strong wind.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds United boss Daniel Farke says they have received six apologies from referees' body PGMOL this season.

The 47-year-old said he expected two more after his team had two penalty appeals turned down in Tuesday's 0-0 Championship draw with Sunderland.

Leeds went second with the point, but will be overhauled if Ipswich avoid defeat against Watford on Wednesday.

"We have had six letters this season so far apologising and saying it was a penalty or a red card," said Farke.

"We'll probably get two more letters right now. It won't help us because it doesn't feel like a fair outcome.

"If we had got two penalties it would have felt we could have at least used one to win this game

"It makes no sense. In general I am never asking for red cards, it's more like 'Come on, act a bit earlier with yellow cards'. If you don't do this you send the message 'OK, keep going'."

The two penalty calls against Sunderland came in either half, first when Dan Ballard leaned his elbow towards Crysencio Summerville's shot then after the break when Black Cats skipper Luke O'Nien handled.

Neither incident was picked up by referee Tim Robinson, however.

"It's not my side to ask for red cards but if there's a rule that there should be a handball yellow, then I ask only for the rules," Farke added.

"When you lean into the ball with the elbow and the referee has a clear view of it, sorry, this is something you have to give.

"And in the second half, it was obvious, with both hands in the air, not difficult to see."
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:46 pm It makes absolutely no sense at all when we are miles in front of Sunderland as a team, a Sunderland team that offered no real threat to our defence at all, and it isn't just Sunderland, we are streets ahead of others with how he's built us.
But what the fck is he doing, it has frustrated the shite out of me all season away, we don't just take ourselves down to their level, WE ACTUALLY DROP 1 LEVEL BELOW THAT!.

We are better Daniel ffs, we just don't need to let the Stokes, Hulls, Sunderlands etc have a feckin sniff.

Bamford just should not be coming soooooooooooooooooooo feckin deep looking for the ball from Rodon and Amps, push the feckers up to play in their final third and not tippy feckin tappy in ours, if you want to be Citeh or Liverpool LOOK WHERE THEIR DAMN DEFENDERS ARE, THEY ARE ON THE HALFWAY LINE FFS, WAITING TO EITHER JOIN IN THE BUILD UP AND ATTACK, OR READY TO WIN IT BACK INSTANTLY AND GO AGAIN and yes ! They leave themselves wide wide open to a counter, but ffs look at the chances they create !!!

Jesus Christ, i just can't calm down man.
Every fucker thinks their city ,without the players to pull it off bud.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Classic rant from Dave about last night :tup:

I f**king laughed from start to finish, what a legend this guy is :lol:

https://youtu.be/NT_k6ZIlWwY?si=JsoYFkblcpsvSMlH
Phild
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Phild »

Over the last 5 or 6 games I’ve come to the conclusion that this is the real us and the run we went on was an overachievement .
Earlier comments about why didn’t we play down the right. I have absolutely no problem with that tactic as James has great difficulty picking out a player in a white shirt. Not helped by Gray in recent games who is off it for some reason
Is there anything to look forward to if we go up other than the financial side of things.
Not sure we have a single player cut out for much bigger challenges.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:04 pm Leeds United boss Daniel Farke says they have received six apologies from referees' body PGMOL this season.

The 47-year-old said he expected two more after his team had two penalty appeals turned down in Tuesday's 0-0 Championship draw with Sunderland.

Leeds went second with the point, but will be overhauled if Ipswich avoid defeat against Watford on Wednesday.

"We have had six letters this season so far apologising and saying it was a penalty or a red card," said Farke.

"We'll probably get two more letters right now. It won't help us because it doesn't feel like a fair outcome.

"If we had got two penalties it would have felt we could have at least used one to win this game

"It makes no sense. In general I am never asking for red cards, it's more like 'Come on, act a bit earlier with yellow cards'. If you don't do this you send the message 'OK, keep going'."

The two penalty calls against Sunderland came in either half, first when Dan Ballard leaned his elbow towards Crysencio Summerville's shot then after the break when Black Cats skipper Luke O'Nien handled.

Neither incident was picked up by referee Tim Robinson, however.

"It's not my side to ask for red cards but if there's a rule that there should be a handball yellow, then I ask only for the rules," Farke added.

"When you lean into the ball with the elbow and the referee has a clear view of it, sorry, this is something you have to give.

"And in the second half, it was obvious, with both hands in the air, not difficult to see."
To rub salt into the wounds the camera man focused on Luke O'Nien looking at his hand and shaking it as if it were sore... Another hand of God moment.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:05 pm Classic rant from Dave about last night :tup:

I f**king laughed from start to finish, what a legend this guy is :lol:

https://youtu.be/NT_k6ZIlWwY?si=JsoYFkblcpsvSMlH
I think Dave is effing upset, James.

"Last three months, we were like a purring Rolls Royce, now we're like a effing three-wheeler plastic pig"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:28 am To rub salt into the wounds the camera man focused on Luke O'Nien looking at his hand and shaking it as if it were sore... Another hand of God moment.
That was funny. Very suspect.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sunderland, have been playing without a striker for a while, as the only one on their books is injured.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds
80 good moments of play in the first-half.

165 good moments over the 90 minutes.

28 errors in the first-half.

53 errors throughout the whole of the game.
Poshwhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Poshwhite »

The Sunderland manager was more tactical than DF who had zero idea how to break down. As boring as it was they came for a point and got it…. Fact
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:08 am I was so bored after the first 45 minutes, my anxiety levels were down to nil as the writing was on the wall.
I didn't watch the game and have no desire to do catch it now.

How was the boredom level. We both sat through the George Graham era. There were plenty of times I wanted to take a nap. I was still living in England back then. And made the conscious effort to stop going.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

JoeDenver wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:50 pm There have to be changes regardless, IMHO. As I mentioned in the Daniel Farke thread, we can either experiment with some changes now to find the increased tempo and win these matches or sleepwalk into the playoffs devoid of any momentum or confidence. Changes are imperative.
He only needs to go on the attack right from the off, if and only then when the oppos decide to park the bus, if we can't batter thru it in 45mins, then ok, 2nd half try and drag them out, but ffs ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK, PIN THEM IN THEIR FINAL THIRD AND THROW EVERYTHING AT THEM...At least there won't be any minutes wasted tippy tappy at the back, that game suits virtually every single one of our players !!!

I'm still feckin blazin btw :rant: :rant:

And i can't feckin stand going down without a fight or giving it ALL we've got, at least the fans will see he's trying his best to break thru, it's driving me insane fer gawds sake :evil: :evil:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)