Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - UNCUT VIDEO.

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Leeds United v Nottingham Forest
Leeds United
Leeds United
2–1
Premier League
04/04/2023
Elland Road
Nottingham Forest
Nottingham Forest
All-time record vs Nottingham Forest
107
Played
35
Won
35
Drawn
37
Lost
+3
GD
33%
Win %
Home record at Elland Road
53
Played
24
Won
16
Drawn
13
Lost
+20
GD
45%
Win %
DateGroundScoreCompetition
05/02/2023 City Ground 1–0 L Premier League ↗
08/02/2020 City Ground 2–0 L Championship ↗
10/08/2019 Elland Road 1–1 D Championship ↗
01/01/2019 City Ground 4–2 L Championship ↗
27/10/2018 Elland Road 1–1 D Championship ↗
All-time top scorers vs Nottingham Forest
#PlayerGoals
1 Peter Lorimer 13
2 Eddie Gray 5
3 Johnny Giles 4
4 Rod Wallace 4
5 Allan Clarke 4
Starting XI
Goa Meslier
Def Ayling ©
Def Koch
Def Struijk
Def Firpo
Mid McKennie
Mid Roca
Mid Harrison
Mid Aaronson
For Bamford
Substitutes
Unused Substitutes
-- Robles
-- Cooper
-- Gyabi
-- Rutter
-- Gnonto
-- Greenwood
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41710
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:57 pm He could easily have hit the target but Navas would have saved it. Take Harrison's shot against Arsenal, there was very little of the goal that Harrison could have put the ball in and scored, instead he hit the target and it was a routine save. To have any chance of a goal, barring keeper error, Bamford had a tiny, tiny area of the goal that he could score in, basically about 6 inches inside the post with the ball either going in off the post or hitting into the inside side netting. The difference between that happening and it missing was probably about 1 cm in terms of where Bamford's foot connected with the ball and where it needed to connect with the ball, considering the ball was bouncing too if he had scored it would have been a great finish.

I think a lot of strikers would hit the target from there but unless they put it exactly where I described they wouldn't score. It is similar to what Faaip said about a pea roller straight at the keeper being classed as a shot on target but it isn't going to be a goal bar a complete keeper error.

PB had to hit it first time or the chance was gone. Taking another touch doesn't make the angle much easier and simply allows the defender more chance to get a block in. I don't dispute PB isn't a great finisher but that was not an easy chance, it was an easy chance to hit the target but not to score.
You have to hit the target if you take the shot on.

In that position, with that much time and space.

Being in the penalty box with 0 defenders near you with time like that is extremely rare.

He had time to assess, time to set himself, far more time than you will get 99/100.

And it's even on his strongest foot and sat up nicely for the strike

If you are Lionel Messi maybe you can pick a tiny spot the keeper can't get to.

But if you are Patrick Bamford then the only thing you should worry about is hitting the target.

Any striker will tell you that is the first rule in that positon, hit the target, work the keeper.

Navas has already shown his shot stopping is iffy on the Roca shot.

No guarantee he saves it at all aslong as its on target. You hit it well and true and every chance it goes in.

The only thing you can't do is not work the keeper.

Paddy failed to do that.
Last edited by Cjay on Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Leeds Utd v Nottingham Forest Match Thread - Bamford starts, Gnonto makes the bench

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

danhirons wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:08 am not sure this says anything about paddy and more about the lack of decent striking options off the bench

everyone knows paddy runs around - occupying the centre halves is the least any lone striker should be doing, if he's not doing that then what is he doing?!

tbh I thought felipe had paddy in his pocket most of the game, won most of the individual duels
When I was in my late 20s if someone had paid me 70k a week, then I would have been more than willing to run, press and hound all day and all night long if need be...
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Leeds Utd v Nottingham Forest Match Thread - Bamford starts, Gnonto makes the bench

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:25 am I think it's just a case of Javi saying our system works a lot better with Bamford on the pitch. I'm sure we were all looking at the clock after 60 minutes and expecting Bamford to get subbed. I'd bet that Javi would have been considering that too. But, contrary to what cjay might say, there's an overall acknowledgment that we're better team with Bamford. Nobody does what he does. That he played 92 minutes tonight is a huge bonus.
Paddy has had 29 PL appearances last season and this season combined . He scored two goals last season and so far 2 goals this season.

Some CBs are more prolific. In fact when Kristensen came on for Bamford we were replacing Paddy with a more prolific goalscorer... :lol:
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6571
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by BGwhite »

Finnatic wrote: He’s not immune from criticism, I would think everyone agrees that he’s a bit rusty but it will come.
He generally scores in batches then nothing for a few games, it’s always been like that.

Also, all game Felipe was clinging on to him so tightly it was almost pornographic.
Yes he did take the phrase ' get up his arse' a little too literally. Paddy has never felt so wanted since he's been at Leeds.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:05 am Leeds United in 2022-23 are the only team in Premier League history to have played as many as four games starting in the relegation zone in a season and won every single one of those games.

2-1 vs Liverpool
1-0 vs Southampton
4-2 vs Wolves
2-1 vs Nottingham Forest
On that note:

Tottenham at home, final game of season. Are you hoping we're in the relegation zone?
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Leeds Utd v Nottingham Forest Match Thread - Bamford starts, Gnonto makes the bench

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:28 am So was I :tup:

When I saw a half-fit Rodrigo warming up to come on, I thought here we go again, to my surprise Javi didn't haul Bamford off the pitch, he's astute enough to realised Rodders wouldn't press or hold the ball up as well as Paddy.

I know our fans were crying for Paddy to be subbed, I've seen us go to pieces far too many times once Bamford has left the pitch.

Javi knows the score :-D
It was really surprising that he played them both togteher for 30 minutes. I kept wondering after Rodrigo came on, when he'd take Bamford off and move Rodrigo to 9. I'm glad many see how much better we are with Bamford as the 9. But it is also important to get Rodrigo more playing time. Inevitably we're really going to need him at some point of the run in.

There were some suggestions that Bamford only played 92 minutes because he's not starting against Palace. I doubt it. I think he didn't start against Arsenal to have him ready for both games. And at least it's a 5 day gap.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

weasel wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:23 am That bit from the article you shared shows people who just don't know how hard that chance actually was, similar to a few people on here. He's pulled it down superbly out of the air but has to hit it first time, on the half volley, without being able to set himself from the position he was in from bringing the ball down and has only a tiny amount of the goal to aim at where he could expect to score (basically about 6 inch gap from the post). He has to hit it with power to beat Navas and his reaction to missing is because I think he felt he'd hit it sweetly and had scored.

For the stats gurus Bamford had at least 2 shots on target that were blocked.
I'm on the pro-Bamford side of the debate. But I was disappointed with the way he took that chance. He dragged it wide because it was a tight angle. I was really surprised he didn't smack it at the top corner which was a much bigger target.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:38 am Noticeable Javi hasn't used Greenwood once since his arrival, always a Marsch favourite.
Even more surprising since he used Harrison and Rasmus in midfield v Arsenal. Notably the only 3 outfielders sitting on the bench at the end of that game were Gyabi, Gray, and Greenwood. And he brought on Bamford for the last few minutes with the game over. Clearly he doesn't fancy any of our young midfielders yet.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:40 am I do wonder if some of our fans have played football in their lives.
I started playing in goal at age 11 for obvious reasons. I couldn't kick a ball to save my life. I only scored one goal that deflected off my knee as I was trying to control it and bring it down. Not surprising that I have mostly praise for Bamford.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:47 am Absolutely no need to give up on Rutter yet, he's gonna need some nurturing and gametime to learn what's wanted from him and how he's expected to fit in, not many new signings can just shine instantly.

We're in a relegation battle, it's too much to ask in the Prem, Javi has a number 1 task to achieve before he can start to get to grips in the summer with any other plans.

He's doing well with his gameplans and selections up to now, let's hope it can get better, he seems to have strings to his bow.

Although the scoreline suggests otherwise, there was at least something to take from the Arse game that impressed me for one.

He's mixing it up, not ballsing it up, the players are reacting well to him and yes he his coming across as a relaxed level headed type of guy,

We don't have any spectacular players that are hard to replace, he's creating a team effort.
I've got huge hopes for Rutter. He joined us at completely the wrong time. Bringing a prospect into a relegation battle was not smart timing. It smacked of an arrogant belief that we were safe - sending Joffy out on loan who made crucial contributions to saving us from relegation last season was equally arrogant,

On top of that, a new manager doesn't help. Javi is new and has to work with players who have some level of familiarity.

I can only see Rutter making cameo sub appearances between now and the end of the season. Give him the summer and there will be a key role for him. The manager can start building the team and tactics that he wants. Right now, it's just about necessity and getting the job done.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

GreennWhite wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:53 am One thing that i think is important in our recent form is the fact we are no longer just having 3 or maybe 4 players playing well and the rest being really poor. There is a big difference now and that is we now only 2 or 3 below par and the rest playing to a good level. This is a TEAM game, i know its frustrating when certain players miss a good chance or a defender screws up when trying to defend but that's football for you.
Paddy and Luke may have been poor at times last night ( I'm only going by what i read on here ) but the rest of the players stood up and helped them out, that's what good TEAMS do for each other. Hopefully in the next game both those players perform better and if someone else has a bad game they can be helped out as was the case last night. Even the very best TEAMS rarely have all 11 players playing well.
I had 5 9's in my player ratings yesterday followed by a couple of 8's. Ayling and Bamford were lower ratings. But they both did their job.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

weasel wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:05 am Javi sees all the players in training, knows how sharp they are, can work out how they fit into his plans and picks accordingly. Interesting that he hasn't used Greenwood at all although with the lack of U21 matches it may be he is injured. I think he wants to make our midfield tough to play against allowing the flair to come from the width. he has battlers in Roca and WM and Aaronsen to run around chasing down the ball and harrying. It may even be that he is susing Aaronsen in a same way Adams plays but obviously further forward.

I saw no reason to start Sini over Summerville but Javi sees far more of the players than we do and made a great call. Presumably he isn't seeing enough from Rutter yet to have him up the pecking order at present. Note how poor we did in the 2nd MU game when Skubala brought Rutter on for PB. Rutter's time will come but it may not be this season unless Javi works on him in training and sees something specific for a match that gives him reason to pick him - along the lines of the Arsenal match formation/tactics wise.
Rutter just joined us at the wrong time. He should have been a summertime signing. That's when he'll start to make an impact.

Sinisterra starting makes total sense. He's a much more established player than Jimmy. The only concern was that he wasn't match sharp yet. The Arsenal game was unflattering for him. But it was a great run out. He showed his class yesterday. And really glad to have our Raphinha replacement back and firing.

I don't think Javi sees any of our young midfielders as ready. He could have brought onw of them on in the 85th minute against Arsenal. But (unnecessarily) brought on Bamford instead. Clearly sees Harrison and Rasmus as better midfield options. I've got a feeling that - given the short time he's been here and the short time left - he's going to go with experience first.
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7073
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by DDB220 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:37 pm I started playing in goal at age 11 for obvious reasons. I couldn't kick a ball to save my life. I only scored one goal that deflected off my knee as I was trying to control it and bring it down. Not surprising that I have mostly praise for Bamford.
😂😂😂😂

I played a lot and played against lads who didn’t make it as youngsters with big clubs. For whatever reason quite a few were in the military. Massive difference in class and they were let go.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79058
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:40 am I do wonder if some of our fans have played football in their lives.
I played till 21 but a bad tackle at 15 which broke my leg in 2 places and incredibly painful (more so as they set the leg wrong and had to have it re broken 3 weeks later) and I was never the same since, never really going into the tackle again. I coached (assistant with my uncle as manager) and scouted for 4 years at U12 to U 15 level, taking a 0-12 team conceding over 100 goals a season to winning the title in 2 years... I was very good at spotting talent

I was a very good 6 a side striker.... but I had a top class teacher
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

faaip wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:04 pm I played till 21 but a bad tackle at 15 which broke my leg in 2 places and incredibly painful (more so as they set the leg wrong and had to have it re broken 3 weeks later) and I was never the same since, never really going into the tackle again. I coached (assistant with my uncle as manager) and scouted for 4 years at U12 to U 15 level, taking a 0-12 team conceding over 100 goals a season to winning the title in 2 years... I was very good at spotting talent

I was a very good 6 a side striker.... but I had a top class teacher
Love the NHS. I broke my wrist when I was 9. They put the cast on the wrong wrist. They discovered it because my grandad came to visit me in hospital and started fooling around with my "good" wrist. I told him that wrist really hurt too. He said "well it's the other one that's broken." He told the nurse. They checked the xrays and discovered the "good" wrist was actually the one that was broken.

Slightly O/T but I always love that story. And I do thank my grandad for unwittingly exposing the medical error.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19702
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by weasel »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:03 pm I missed that chance during the game and I haven’t seen the chance on any highlights reel. However, whilst I understand what you are saying, one of the basic rules for a striker is to work the keeper, therefore getting the shot on target is fundamental as a secondary chance may occur.
I understand your point and yes the shot should be on target, I hate free kicks that are off target, but anywhere on target but for a tiny area and the keeper, especially someone as good as Navas, is saving it comfortably. It is towards the end of the highlights reel on the skysports one if you get chance to watch. Bamford does miss more than his fair share of chances but people highlighting that miss are picking the wrong miss to highlight.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19702
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by weasel »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:48 pm Rutter just joined us at the wrong time. He should have been a summertime signing. That's when he'll start to make an impact.
I would be guessing that he was on our radar and because he became available we jumped in and signed him rather than waiting till the summer and then maybe missing out. Possibly we could have done similar with other players such as CDK, Gakpo etc but decided not to sign them in January, when we could have got them, as it wasn't the right time but then found we had more competition for their signatures in the summer and lost out on them. Maybe also the fact that Gnonto did so well after us initially looking to wait until January before signing him made them think that Rutter could have come in and acclimatised as quickly and made an instant impact too.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Tyzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4215
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by Tyzy »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:40 am I do wonder if some of our fans have played football in their lives.
That'll be be then,don't suppose playing in the park with your mates count ?
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6711
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by Finnatic »

BGwhite wrote: ↑Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:38 pm Yes he did take the phrase ' get up his arse' a little too literally. Paddy has never felt so wanted since he's been at Leeds.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
🤣
User avatar
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6571
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am

Re: Leeds Utd 2-1 Nottingham Forest - Post Match Debate

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: I do wonder if some of our fans have played football in their lives.
I played right back for the juniors & senior school teams and our keeper through those years would go on to play professional football for a few clubs such as Luton & chesterfield and I think Mansfield in 80's/90's then went on to goalkeeper coaching . When Dennis Wise left Swindon for Leeds managers job he took his goalkeeper coach with him to Leeds who just happened to be my old schoolmate and Leeds fan Andy Beesley. He was there a couple of years with Wisey, Gus Poyet and then Simon Grayson if my memory serves. Shame he didn't get success there but he's moved on and last I heard he was coaching in Shanghai, nice work if you can get it. He was always in the dugout at the Leeds games ..lucky bugger ! Just googled him , he's now in India Image
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Beasley
Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk



Post Reply