Well that would be bizarre & worrying in equal measure
Leeds Utd 1-5 Crystal Palace - Post Match Debate
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21210
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21210
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
In the modern game it’s probably;
Hair dryer didn’t work.
Face packs weren’t prepared.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- White Riot
- Superstar

- Posts: 22420
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
- Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155450
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
I'm past caring with some of them, they are not good enough to compete with teams, that possess quality, pace, movement & an aerial threatWhite Riot wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:13 pm You're fookin right they do Leon![]()
As I said they bask in the sunshine from our support, so they can also take their knocks when it's due. They've seen off a few coaches over the last year, and still largely avoided criticism, despite two shocking seasons.
Best be a show of pride and a performance in that next home match, cos they've seen nowt to what they'll get if they fold like they did in that second half.
Javi praising our support all week and requesting our backing, which they got in spades today.
And how did those fellas reward our support in that second half?
I was shocked and speechless at the time, and now that's turned to anger.
Fookin disgraceful that mate![]()
I've seen young Palace, Brighton & Arsenal sides tear us apart in the last few weeks.
Serious recruitment required in the summer, if we stay up!
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21210
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
Joking aside I wonder if something was said about the defending of set pieces. That seems entirely possible.White Riot wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:22 pm
Spare hair-band hadn't been warmed up.
Manicurist had called in sick.
A little exchange that escalated. I mean as we’ve already joked about PL footballers are delicate flowers.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41784
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
They were tbf
But he was the worst of the bunch.
Genuinely one of the worst performances I've seen for some time overall
He's never been uber talented but has had hard work and determination and dedication and little burst of pace.
But he has Lost that yard now and trying isn't enough.
He is being targeted every game by younger, sharper more talented players
Only small mercy is he should have been facing Zaha.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- White Riot
- Superstar

- Posts: 22420
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
- Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
Yes, agree mate1964white wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:35 pm I'm past caring with some of them, they are not good enough to compete with teams, that possess quality, pace, movement & an aerial threat
I've seen young Palace, Brighton & Arsenal sides tear us apart in the last few weeks.
Serious recruitment required in the summer, if we stay up!
Poor players get found out at this level.
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21210
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
Definitely a reality check today.
Wolves & Forest to some extent had us getting some fortune in those wins.
Just a struggling relegation threatened side who’ll probably be doing this for the next couple of seasons at least.
Wolves & Forest to some extent had us getting some fortune in those wins.
Just a struggling relegation threatened side who’ll probably be doing this for the next couple of seasons at least.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- White Riot
- Superstar

- Posts: 22420
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
- Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
I know Javi seems the quiet, collected type in public. But he seriously needed to throw some tea cups around about those fookin set pieces.
Where's all this great leadership from our senior players? Ayling, Bamford, Rodders, etc.
Non-existent mate.
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21210
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
I seem to remember reading he’s capable of ripping into his players if required. Whatever the tactical shortcomings today on his part I’d hope he’s given them a piece of his mind. That should be behind closed doors though and no under the bus management but I don’t think that’s his style at all.White Riot wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:55 pm I know Javi seems the quiet, collected type in public. But he seriously needed to throw some tea cups around about those fookin set pieces.
Where's all this great leadership from our senior players? Ayling, Bamford, Rodders, etc.
Non-existent mate.
Seems a decent bloke to me who’s been massively let down by his players today.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155450
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
That's most of my work done on Luke Ayling when I watch a full replay of the match tomorrow.Cjay wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:46 pm They were tbf
But he was the worst of the bunch.
Genuinely one of the worst performances I've seen for some time overall
He's never been uber talented but has had hard work and determination and dedication and little burst of pace.
But he has Lost that yard now and trying isn't enough.
He is being targeted every game by younger, sharper more talented players
Only small mercy is he should have been facing Zaha.
I seem to recall Kristensen, Firpo & Roca were dribbled past several times between them.
Our defence ripped to shreds.
- Irish Ian
- Superstar

- Posts: 17206
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
- Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
It was that ten minutes after HT. Not for the first time have we started poorly and have left ourselves with a mountain to to climb. Did the late goal first half goal unsettle us?
I think that is when the mental fatigue hit us.
Woy went for the jugular ( as did Arteta last week ) following in the footsteps of WH. Bournemouth Chelsea and Citeh who have all scored in the first 10 minutes after the break... coincidence?
There was no way back from there. Sucker punched. Shellshocked.
Third game in a week and the tiredness creeps in no reserves to draw on emotionally so they go through the motions and ship another couple in a dead game.
Those huge early chances cost us.
I think that is when the mental fatigue hit us.
Woy went for the jugular ( as did Arteta last week ) following in the footsteps of WH. Bournemouth Chelsea and Citeh who have all scored in the first 10 minutes after the break... coincidence?
There was no way back from there. Sucker punched. Shellshocked.
Third game in a week and the tiredness creeps in no reserves to draw on emotionally so they go through the motions and ship another couple in a dead game.
Those huge early chances cost us.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
- Irish Ian
- Superstar

- Posts: 17206
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
- Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
What usually happens in a relegation dogfight is exactly that.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
- BGwhite
- Superstar

- Posts: 6571
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
Keep missing chances and this league will kill you. Simple really. Not up to the job in this league, one step too far . Recruitment is the major issue , had it been up to scratch we'd not have Ayling, Cooper , Bamford, Firpo, Roca, Rutter and possibly a couple of others. 3 years after promotion and we're still playing with lower league quality players. I've said this before, until Radz and his parasites fook off outa this club Leeds will be nothing more than relegation fodder .
Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
-
CHAPELALLMAN
- Manager

- Posts: 3891
- Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
Spot on - there has been so much slagging off of Marsch's tactics etc, yet the real issue has been atrocious recruitment.BGwhite wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:23 pm Keep missing chances and this league will kill you. Simple really. Not up to the job in this league, one step too far . Recruitment is the major issue , had it been up to scratch we'd not have Ayling, Cooper , Bamford, Firpo, Roca, Rutter and possibly a couple of others. 3 years after promotion and we're still playing with lower league quality players. I've said this before, until Radz and his parasites fook off outa this club Leeds will be nothing more than relegation fodder .
Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
- Irish Ian
- Superstar

- Posts: 17206
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
- Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
Funny, the first three were pivotal in our promotion and cost less than £10M. Earned us PL status etc etc..BGwhite wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:23 pm Keep missing chances and this league will kill you. Simple really. Not up to the job in this league, one step too far . Recruitment is the major issue , had it been up to scratch we'd not have Ayling, Cooper , Bamford, Firpo, Roca, Rutter and possibly a couple of others. 3 years after promotion and we're still playing with lower league quality players. I've said this before, until Radz and his parasites fook off outa this club Leeds will be nothing more than relegation fodder .
Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
The second three... Firpo has won over his critics, still young doing well, as has Roca, and Rutter is an unknown ( although tbf J think his fee was madness but 49ers money who cares right they have loads) and as such cant be affirmed as a POOR signing.
Feck sake at least find some believable examples
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
- Broad Ford
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 967
- Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:17 am
- Location: West Yorkshire
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
Did anybody else laugh when Palace scored their 4th?
Leeds looked good for the 3 points until Bamford scored and Palace then grew into the game.
I sensed change was needed after the equaliser, but after the break Javi changed nothing. Palace seemed to breeze their way through the Leeds ranks and it's no fluke because Leeds were dreadful at the back, uncompetative in midfield and clueless in the final third.
Fine them all a week's wages, donate the cash to a charity and threaten more of the same should they repeat a similarly sleepy effort.
Leeds looked good for the 3 points until Bamford scored and Palace then grew into the game.
I sensed change was needed after the equaliser, but after the break Javi changed nothing. Palace seemed to breeze their way through the Leeds ranks and it's no fluke because Leeds were dreadful at the back, uncompetative in midfield and clueless in the final third.
Fine them all a week's wages, donate the cash to a charity and threaten more of the same should they repeat a similarly sleepy effort.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
- Barlow Boy
- Site Contributor

- Posts: 11796
- Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
No.
I was in the stands supporting my team.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20765
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
Absolutely atrocious recruitment for the past 3 years....but I include Marsch in that. Awful appointment that never should have been.CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:02 pm Spot on - there has been so much slagging off of Marsch's tactics etc, yet the real issue has been atrocious recruitment.
- JoeDenver
- Manager

- Posts: 4124
- Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm
Re: Leeds Utd v Crystal Palace Match Thread
Wow. Where to begin. Can’t believe I recorded this disaster to attend Easter festivities with the family. I promptly deleted it. Prior to this match, I had a concern about us going ahead early and then bunkering and conceding 2 goals on set pieces, a clear strength of Palace’s. I completely underestimated their team speed. They’ve always looked so slow and plodding in the past aside from a few cases of individual brilliance, IMHO. But my god, they looked to be playing on turbo mode (to use a crude video game analogy) from about the 30th minute onward. Clearly our team was gassed a lot sooner than even Javi anticipated. Accordingly, I don’t understand the direct/long ball approach that we employed often (they had the speed to defend and we clearly were too tired to execute).
It’s tough to come away with clear thoughts after this one. I really think Javi is left scratching his head and can’t help but feel let down by the players. Our back 4 looked slow and shell-shocked the entire match. Ayling’s been a liability for the past 5-6 games now…the tape is out on him. Firpo had a howler and both Struijk and Koch clearly lacked pace…same with Roca. McKennie* had an average effort and our attack lacked ideas (and basic finishing from our clear chances). Should’ve probably started Summerville over Jack who was always going to disappoint following playing the past two full matches. Sini faded quickly and Gnonto isn’t in shape. Rodri and Rutter offered nothing. Summerville was a complete oversight, IMHO. Meslier has been slowly creeping into poor form of late (decision-making on whether to rush out or hold back is almost backwards at times). While a lot of great chances were conceded, he could’ve done better…and tbf, I’d probably have preferred Palace’s backup in goal vs. Meslier. Would’ve likely reduced the goal differential.
I really doubt we are this bad as Palace’s fitness advantage and Roy’s tactical genius/new manager bounce contributed a lot to the score line, but we probably aren’t as good as we thought we were after Forest. Really tough to say at this point.
Really curious to see how Javi responds to his players after this one. If this were American college football, one of the few sports competitions in America where every game matters (possibly the only one), the coaches from any of the top teams would be absolutely murdering his players in practice the week following a tough loss, let alone a blowout loss like this one. I know there is a Ted Lasso analogy there, but my god, I perish the thought of the type of practices Nick Saban (google him) would be running this coming week following a loss like this.
*NOTE: did anyone notice no one rushing to see how McKennie was doing when he was hurt at the very end? I can’t help but wonder if he was one of the vocal members at halftime which ruffled some feathers.
It’s tough to come away with clear thoughts after this one. I really think Javi is left scratching his head and can’t help but feel let down by the players. Our back 4 looked slow and shell-shocked the entire match. Ayling’s been a liability for the past 5-6 games now…the tape is out on him. Firpo had a howler and both Struijk and Koch clearly lacked pace…same with Roca. McKennie* had an average effort and our attack lacked ideas (and basic finishing from our clear chances). Should’ve probably started Summerville over Jack who was always going to disappoint following playing the past two full matches. Sini faded quickly and Gnonto isn’t in shape. Rodri and Rutter offered nothing. Summerville was a complete oversight, IMHO. Meslier has been slowly creeping into poor form of late (decision-making on whether to rush out or hold back is almost backwards at times). While a lot of great chances were conceded, he could’ve done better…and tbf, I’d probably have preferred Palace’s backup in goal vs. Meslier. Would’ve likely reduced the goal differential.
I really doubt we are this bad as Palace’s fitness advantage and Roy’s tactical genius/new manager bounce contributed a lot to the score line, but we probably aren’t as good as we thought we were after Forest. Really tough to say at this point.
Really curious to see how Javi responds to his players after this one. If this were American college football, one of the few sports competitions in America where every game matters (possibly the only one), the coaches from any of the top teams would be absolutely murdering his players in practice the week following a tough loss, let alone a blowout loss like this one. I know there is a Ted Lasso analogy there, but my god, I perish the thought of the type of practices Nick Saban (google him) would be running this coming week following a loss like this.
*NOTE: did anyone notice no one rushing to see how McKennie was doing when he was hurt at the very end? I can’t help but wonder if he was one of the vocal members at halftime which ruffled some feathers.
Last edited by JoeDenver on Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United