Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Manchester City v Leeds United
Manchester City
Manchester City
2–1
Premier League
06/05/2023
Etihad Stadium
⚽ Moreno
Leeds United
Leeds United
All-time record vs Manchester City
112
Played
43
Won
18
Drawn
51
Lost
-36
GD
38%
Win %
Away record
56
Played
14
Won
9
Drawn
33
Lost
-53
GD
25%
Win %
DateGroundScoreCompetition
28/12/2022 Elland Road 1–3 L Premier League ↗
30/04/2022 Elland Road 0–4 L Premier League ↗
14/12/2021 Etihad Stadium 7–0 L Premier League ↗
10/04/2021 Etihad Stadium 1–2 W Premier League ↗
03/10/2020 Elland Road 1–1 D Premier League ↗
All-time top scorers vs Manchester City
#PlayerGoals
1 Peter Lorimer 7
2 Allan Clarke 5
3 Charlie Keetley 5
4 Jack Charlton 4
5 Mark Viduka 3
Starting XI
Goa Robles
Def Ayling ©
Def Wober
Def Firpo
Mid McKennie
Mid Roca
Mid Gnonto
Mid Forshaw
Mid Harrison
For Bamford
Substitutes
Unused Substitutes
-- Meslier
-- Koch
-- Rutter
-- Gray
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17183
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Irish Ian »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 9:20 pm McKennie best of the midfielders for me today ....
Put himself about. Got his foot in a few times.
Defo looks better on the right.
Had a great header well saved.

If he has been the divisive individual in the dressroom and the issue has been put to bed then it will help.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
User avatar
malcolmw
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3707
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 8:09 pm Watched the Sky highlights afterwards and wondered why I find the McKennie header amusing. I mean the worlds fattest footballer (allegedly) finds it within himself to fight gravity and remove himself (briefly) from gods earth and nearly scores. Good save mind
you.
That was McKennie wasn’t it?
Pretty sure I saw a Mars bar fall out of his shorts when he did that huge jump. :lol: He only got a couple of inches off the ground - maybe why the header nearly hit him on the foot?!

But I have to say I give him an A for effort for today. Compared to Roca he was an absolute marvel.
User avatar
malcolmw
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3707
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by malcolmw »

1964white wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 4:40 pm Citeh do press well without the ball, rarely allowing us any space to play our game.

Also, when the 50/50 balls dropped into open space, they were far more athletic & quicker than us to win those loose balls.
Yes, they do make it look easy don't they. One of Johan Cruyff's great sayings was....

"What is speed? Don't confuse speed with insight. If I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster".
City have so many players who just have a natural insight for the game.

Cruyff also said - "Football is a game of mistakes. Whoever makes the fewest mistakes wins." Clearly Jesse Marsh never read Cruyff's book. ;-)
King Hennessy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:04 am

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by King Hennessy »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 9:16 pm I was just kidding tbh. Not really judging him.
Making a joke about his “alleged” body weight.
If he shows a bit more fight like today then it can’t hurt
I knew you were, I wasn't talking about you personally. I thought we would see some fight from everyone on the squad. If as a professional athlete you can't get fired up and motivated to play against the best in the world, then you shouldn't be an athlete. Its a free hit. Its man city who have a euro semi final in a few days. Even thought I thought they would show fight, it's never certain and after them going down 2-0 in the 27th I thought it was going to be a massacre. Thankfully it wasn't. They showed some resolve and I'll be more impressed if we can show the fight to get a result against Newcastle. We will see the teams true character over these next 3 games. I'm strapped in hoping the team can gather together and show the fight they had at anfield earlier this season.
From a far away land that some call "Chiraq"
King Hennessy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:04 am

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by King Hennessy »

Irish Ian wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 9:26 pm Put himself about. Got his foot in a few times.
Defo looks better on the right.
Had a great header well saved.

If he has been the divisive individual in the dressroom and the issue has been put to bed then it will help.
Since the beginning I and at least one other poster have said he's much better on the right. With Juve he was mostly on the right, as well as an international. I hate to make excuses for professional athletes; but the man was signed at the end of the international break and has now played under 4 managers in that time span. That's pretty remarkable, so I think the lad should at least get a minimal amount of slack. he's still quite young as well.
From a far away land that some call "Chiraq"
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 7:24 pm To be honest what are the options? The only other option is presumably Struyjk and he has been awful for a couple of months. When we looked reasonably secure at the start of Gracia's short reign Firpo was playing and did reasonably well. Firpo did okay today, not great, not sh*t. Struyjk came on and gave away a needless penalty, I don't think he is the answer or Harrison either who looked like he didn't like it when playing there recently.
You're right, i myself thought 'what options have we got'

It's the s**t we find ourselves in right now, it's a matter of minutes until Sam realises Firpo will be targeted, if anyone can help him defend hopefully it's Sam, like i said i'll be amazed if he does and consider it his biggest challenge in defence,

I have no idea how we played or how he set them up, but the scoreline is encouraging, i'm presuming Citeh won it at a canter, do you feel a bit more positive with the last 3 games Weasel ? we're obviously dependent on results around us and i feel this is how we might just survive if we can somehow get 4pts.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Ackermann
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:46 pm

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Ackermann »

Not much one can conclude in my eyes...Mondays results could fukk us for good. Newcastle will prove if Allerdyce can make any relevant difference. We must realistically get something out of every of the 3 last games.
Last edited by Ackermann on Sun May 07, 2023 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Kennyb41 »

How did he set us up Weasel ? 4-4-2 ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Ackermann
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:46 pm

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Ackermann »

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Sun May 07, 2023 2:25 am Stupid dumb fck Leeds Hierarchy and a lot of fans sack the best person to ever grace Elland Rd, blind ignorant fools that they are :evil:

Cheats never prosper.
8-)
Get over it, we`ve got it...sigh.
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Kennyb41 »

Ackermann wrote: ↑Sun May 07, 2023 2:27 am Get over it, we`ve got it...sigh.
I will never ever get over it, NEVER.

An absolute disgrace that a mophead was kept on over a genius in football, NEVER.

An absolute travesty, the biggest single mistake in my lifetime.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 11:24 pm Pretty sure I saw a Mars bar fall out of his shorts when he did that huge jump. :lol: He only got a couple of inches off the ground - maybe why the header nearly hit him on the foot?!

But I have to say I give him an A for effort for today. Compared to Roca he was an absolute marvel.
Hope that was a Mars bar
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Barlow Boy wrote: ↑Sat May 06, 2023 4:31 pm There’s no way Meslier gets back in for the next game.

No chance.
We might even have seen the last of Meslier in a Leeds shirt.
User avatar
whiteinfrance
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:38 am
Location: Now Scarborough UK

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by whiteinfrance »

I personally think 3 points may well be enough
YES!! I'm living in SCARBADOS!! Underneath the palm trees!
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Sun May 07, 2023 2:16 am You're right, i myself thought 'what options have we got'

It's the s**t we find ourselves in right now, it's a matter of minutes until Sam realises Firpo will be targeted, if anyone can help him defend hopefully it's Sam, like i said i'll be amazed if he does and consider it his biggest challenge in defence,

I have no idea how we played or how he set them up, but the scoreline is encouraging, i'm presuming Citeh won it at a canter, do you feel a bit more positive with the last 3 games Weasel ? we're obviously dependent on results around us and i feel this is how we might just survive if we can somehow get 4pts.
I feel more positive than I did under Marsch and more positive than I felt under Gracia, towards the end f his reign. Gracia started allright and showed what could be done with just a bit of football knowledge, what happened to change that I don't know. The key for me is eliminating the mistakes. Against Bournemouth we gifted them the goals and we also missed some good chances. Could easily have been a different results. Mistakes are huge infootball as it demoralises a team when they are already in a bad place.

What we need to do is get some of our attacking swagger back. I'd drop Bamford. He just doesn't look right and isn't doing the stuff that he used to anywhere near as well. For all Rodrigo's shortcomings he has been fairly clinical this season. We need to hope he had a scoring spree or that either Gnonto, Harrison or Summerville has a couple of good games.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78993
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by The Subhuman »

King Hennessy wrote: ↑Sun May 07, 2023 12:21 am Since the beginning I and at least one other poster have said he's much better on the right. With Juve he was mostly on the right, as well as an international. I hate to make excuses for professional athletes; but the man was signed at the end of the international break and has now played under 4 managers in that time span. That's pretty remarkable, so I think the lad should at least get a minimal amount of slack. he's still quite young as well.
I rate him and at the right price would keep him... he's probably worth around 20 at the moment, not 30 plus
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11769
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Barlow Boy »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Sun May 07, 2023 9:00 am We might even have seen the last of Meslier in a Leeds shirt.
Very true.

Obviously he’s struggled lately, it’ll be interesting to see what his suitors have thought to that and how much it has reduced his price tag.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Ackermann
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:46 pm

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Ackermann »

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Sun May 07, 2023 3:59 am I will never ever get over it, NEVER.

An absolute disgrace that a mophead was kept on over a genius in football, NEVER.

An absolute travesty, the biggest single mistake in my lifetime.
Bielsa would have taken us down, as HAS Marsch and as HAS Garcia. And Bielsa wouldn`t have stayed for another year in the Championship.
Big Sam gives us a slightest chance, although I believe we are down.

The travesty was not sacking Bielsa, but sacking him the wrong time, getting a worst possible replacement in twice, getting most transfers wrong, And this thanks to three competent stooges.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Sun May 07, 2023 2:25 am How did he set us up Weasel ? 4-4-2 ?
4-5-1 in theory though it was more 9-0-1
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by Jaydog »

Ackermann wrote: ↑Sun May 07, 2023 11:37 am Bielsa would have taken us down, as HAS Marsch and as HAS Garcia. And Bielsa wouldn`t have stayed for another year in the Championship.
Big Sam gives us a slightest chance, although I believe we are down.

The travesty was not sacking Bielsa, but sacking him the wrong time, getting a worst possible replacement in twice, getting most transfers wrong, And this thanks to three competent stooges.
Oh Ackers. For goodness sake Ackers. Nooooooooo!
The unwritten rule. Good god man. Oh Ackers.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester City 2-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate.

Post by 1964white »

Junior Lewis is another level above our kids, very impressed with the young man's performances at ER & the Etihad.
Post Reply