Comedians You've Seen???

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4016
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:08 pm
Twitter: @richleeds64
Location: Leeds LS27

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Seen lots over the years, favourites are

Bernard Manning
Peter Kaye before his long break.
Milton jones
Lee Evans
Harry Hill
Ken Dodd
Sarah Millican
Rhod Gilbert
Sean Lock
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79122
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: ↑Fri Sep 26, 2025 8:39 am All many moons ago
Jasper Carrott
Phil Cool
Lenny Henry and Bob Carolgees
Chubby Brown
Bob Monkhouse
Jim Davidson
Richard Digence
I’ve seen Charlie Williams live, in the early seventies
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7504
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by Orange Box »

I once clattered into Mike Harding by opening a door in his face at Barnsley Civic, got a mention in the second half act.
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7084
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by DDB220 »

Too many to quote.

I went to the latest Peter Kay tour at the 02 - It was pretty sad, dated same formula gags, staged crowd participation and punters leaving in their droves throughout the show.

Mickey Flanagan was excellent up until about 5 years ago.

Gervais very good.

I have seen all the old favourites, including the Big Yin in the 80’s in Hong Kong. He was a huge flop.
User avatar
Volvo Jack
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2024 3:03 pm

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by Volvo Jack »

Musicman1965 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 25, 2025 8:20 pm For a bit of fun, there are so many good comedians past and present that go on tour and entertain.
Your favourites please that you have seen?????

Here is mine.
1. Ken Dodd
2. Dara O Brien
3. Lee Evans.

Went to see Chubby Brown and he was terrible.
Chubby Brown, Highest paid Comedian apart from Peter Kaye, and such filthy language that his so called jokes are not funny.
Would rate Ken Dodd as my first but am out of touch with modern comedians.
Did see Lee Evans in Bristol but was not impressed with his running around and sweating

On line "The Comedians" has about 8 or so Comics in turn or you can have one of them
solo. One is Bernard Manning, a bit racist even back then . well worth a look
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7504
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by Orange Box »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 26, 2025 7:12 pm Too many to quote.

I went to the latest Peter Kay tour at the 02 - It was pretty sad, dated same formula gags, staged crowd participation and punters leaning in their droves throughout the show.

Mickey Flanagan was excellent up until about 5 years ago.

Gervais very good.

I have seen all the old favourites, including the Big Yin in the 80’s in Hong Kong. He was a huge flop.
That is sad, he was a very funny guy but I somehow expected him not to move forward, from what you say, and I’ve heard similar, that’s the case.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79122
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by The Subhuman »

Stand ups are like bands, they do their best work early... then rinse and repeat...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
ShaunL
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:20 am
Location: Fremantle

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by ShaunL »

Ardal O Hanlan
Tommy Tiernan
Chubby Brown
Rowan Atkinson
Kevin Bridges
Pat Short
Frankie Boyle
Adrian Edmondson,Rick Mayall & Ben Elton same show.
Kevin Bloody Wilson
Rodney Rude
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9756
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Going to see Jimeoin as part of the 60th birthday weekend this week. Funny bloke.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21209
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by Jaydog »

Stewart Lee in October in Chester
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79122
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by The Subhuman »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 28, 2025 3:05 pm Going to see Jimeoin as part of the 60th birthday weekend this week. Funny bloke.
Very ...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9756
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Jimeoin last night in the Millennium Forum in Londonderry /, brilliant show.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13931
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by John in Louisiana »

My favorite story about George Carlin..........

I was speaking to him once (during the Bush/Quayle administration in 1991) backstage at Bally's Casino in Las Vegas and he said he didn't like performing in Las Vegas because the audiences were too conservative and he couldn't say the things he really wanted to. I said I would have thought Vegas audiences would be fairly liberal. George said they were quite the opposite and that if I were to come to the show that night he'd prove it.

I was standing in the wings that evening when George came on and as soon as the applause died down, without saying good evening, he said, "Am I the only one who finds it more than a coincidence that George Bush had an operation on his a**hole and Dan Quayle had an operation on his middle finger in the same week?"

Grumbling from the crowd.

"And why is it," said George, "that the people who are most dead set against abortion are people you wouldn't want to f*** in the first place?"

Boos from the crowd.

George looked over at me and gave a shrug of his shoulders to say "see what I mean?" He then went on with his tamer stuff, which the audience loved.
User avatar
Tyzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4218
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by Tyzy »

I've never seen a comedian or had an inclination to,mind you I don't have much of a sense of humour.
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6717
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by Finnatic »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 05, 2025 2:34 pm Jimeoin last night in the Millennium Forum in Londonderry /, brilliant show.
Saw him a few years ago in Harrogate , very good.
User avatar
Musicman1965
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2148
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:11 pm

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by Musicman1965 »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Fri Sep 26, 2025 4:49 pm I once clattered into Mike Harding by opening a door in his face at Barnsley Civic, got a mention in the second half act.
Mike Harding, there is a name from the past, he was famous for a song he did may years ago, I could look it up but thats the esy way, Any ideas? Was it Rock'n'Roll Nun? Or maybe this was lesser song.... Its going to bug me now trying to think of it!
User avatar
hector
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 14657
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: In a wood

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by hector »

It's hard being a cowboy in Rochdale
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7504
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by Orange Box »

Musicman1965 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 05, 2025 10:06 pm Mike Harding, there is a name from the past, he was famous for a song he did may years ago, I could look it up but thats the esy way, Any ideas? Was it Rock'n'Roll Nun? Or maybe this was lesser song.... Its going to bug me now trying to think of it!
I think you’d better look it up, M. He did so many albums, I had em all in the day but can’t recall yours. Funny guy, I used to listen to him on earphones when I cycled. Kids in the back of the car loved him, with all the cheeky swearing. Think I’ll dip back in again.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22394
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by White Riot »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Mon Oct 06, 2025 7:50 am I think you’d better look it up, M. He did so many albums, I had em all in the day but can’t recall yours. Funny guy, I used to listen to him on earphones when I cycled. Kids in the back of the car loved him, with all the cheeky swearing. Think I’ll dip back in again.
Very funny guy OB.

In my first year at college we had a guy who owned a VCR rental shop and he used to bring in some films every Sunday night for the students to watch, in exchange for a night's free booze.

He would leave the VCR with us and pick it up on Monday. He left us a recording of Mike's series that were shown on the BBC. Me and a few pals sat up half the night watching them. Man, I have never laughed so much. I was literally crying with laughter and my ribs were sore as hell 😂

Comedians I've seen:
Ben Elton
Phil Cool
Freddie Starr
Mike Elliott
The Grumbleweeds

Probably a few others, but I just can't remember them. Phil Cool was really different and impressive.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21209
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Comedians You've Seen???

Post by Jaydog »

Stewart Lee in Chester tonight. He really hates comedians.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
Post Reply