Rodrigo Moreno- Joins Al-Rayyan confirmed
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- BobHirst
- Manager

- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:20 pm
- Location: Texas
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
I think it is sad that our 30 million pounds striker can't get a game as a striker.
We must be the only club in the league that basically uses the same striker for almost 100% of every game.
We must be the only club in the league that basically uses the same striker for almost 100% of every game.
- billysboots
- First Team

- Posts: 1490
- Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 7:29 am
- Location: N.Ireland
-
danhirons
- Manager

- Posts: 3881
- Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
He's starting for us - why would his confidence be low?! Not as if he was coming off the bench today!Allrounder wrote: ↑Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:23 pm What do you expect when you keep playing a no.9 as CM? You kill off his confidience, hence that painful miss early on.
I think Bamford get’s way too much credit here and he has had a dreadful start to the season. Going forward MB should rotate between Rodrigo and Bamford at the top.
It’s unfair if you give Bamford 38 starts, of course any decent striker will score in every other match. If you had given Rodrigo so many starts at top he would have collected 20+ goals.
To say any decent striker will score every other match in the Premier league is just baffling and totally not correct. Paddy had an incredible season last year and is essential in the way we play. Rodrigo has shown nothing to suggest he would do any better and yesterday's horror show both in his general performance and that miss suggested otherwise. He should be thinking, I'm not starting where I want to so I'm going to make sure to take whatever sniff of a chance I get...would be the right mentality.
Saying that, I feel for Rodrigo because he just clearly isn't a centre mid, but saying that I also don't think he's a lone striker and so I think he will never really fit in and will go down as another one of orta's bad buys
- mentalcase
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 10414
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
Probably need to get rid, he won't displace bamford, he aint a midfielder, if he's happy to be subbed every week for roberts then so be it, I wouldn't , but there is no other option, even when bamford is out, Bielsa puts roberts up front instead of a Spanish international !!
Bamford had imo, a fantastic game yesterday , although his chances were limited he really ought to have scored, same as rodders, but bamfords allround display was fantastic, the team let him down by not supplying him enough, he was constantly in between the 2 centre-halfs only to be let down by passes.
Flog Rodrigo and get that winger we so deperately need.
Bamford had imo, a fantastic game yesterday , although his chances were limited he really ought to have scored, same as rodders, but bamfords allround display was fantastic, the team let him down by not supplying him enough, he was constantly in between the 2 centre-halfs only to be let down by passes.
Flog Rodrigo and get that winger we so deperately need.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
-
SG90
- Superstar

- Posts: 23125
- Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
- BGwhite
- Superstar

- Posts: 6571
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
There were a couple of times when the ball to him (Paddy) was perfect but he opted to try controlling it with his preferred left foot instead of the right . Because of the direction of the pass he should have controlled it with his right and then took the shot on with his left. One of the opportunities would have put him straight through on goal but his left footed control let him down. Top strikers will have killed the ball first time with either foot and got a shot off. On another occasion he was slow to move for a through ball so another chance went begging. The passing to him isn't all bad and he needs to wake up a bit.mentalcase wrote:Probably need to get rid, he won't displace bamford, he aint a midfielder, if he's happy to be subbed every week for roberts then so be it, I wouldn't , but there is no other option, even when bamford is out, Bielsa puts roberts up front instead of a Spanish international !!
Bamford had imo, a fantastic game yesterday , although his chances were limited he really ought to have scored, same as rodders, but bamfords allround display was fantastic, the team let him down by not supplying him enough, he was constantly in between the 2 centre-halfs only to be let down by passes.
Flog Rodrigo and get that winger we so deperately need.
Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
- mentalcase
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 10414
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
Have to agree with thee, he did the same for England last week, as you say, top strikers use both feet, I did think he had a good game yesterday considering and can't knock his tally last season, he wont get dropped that's a fact and I can't see us getting anyone else.BGwhite wrote: ↑Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:06 pm There were a couple of times when the ball to him (Paddy) was perfect but he opted to try controlling it with his preferred left foot instead of the right . Because of the direction of the pass he should have controlled it with his right and then took the shot on with his left. One of the opportunities would have put him straight through on goal but his left footed control let him down. Top strikers will have killed the ball first time with either foot and got a shot off. On another occasion he was slow to move for a through ball so another chance went begging. The passing to him isn't all bad and he needs to wake up a bit.
Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
- YorkshireSquare
- Administrator

- Posts: 15030
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
- Twitter: @motforum
- Location: Leeds
- Contact:
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
Rodders clearly isn't a No.10, in many ways Roberts links things up better.
But as a striker when that chance on 5 minutes falls to him, he needs to be doing better!
But as a striker when that chance on 5 minutes falls to him, he needs to be doing better!
-
Overman
- Manager

- Posts: 3324
- Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 pm
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
It's absurd and it's costing us. I feel it a bit for Rodrigo can't help but feel he's been badly managed by MB (similar to Nketiah). The square peg approach is not one that some players can adapt their natural game to. Perhaps try playing to the lad's strength for starters.
- Johnboy1965
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 812
- Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:53 am
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
Now's the time to give Rodrigo a chance at CF as Bamford looks half the player he was last year. At this rate he won't make double figures.
I hate to say it but I think last season may have been a fluke- he doesn't seem to respond well to a big crowd.
Rodrigo needs to be given a chance as its clear that the whole team looks unbalanced whenever he plays in Midfield and we don't have the luxury of carrying passengers.
Don't understand why MB insists on playing players out of position- when I want apples I buy apples, I don't buy oranges and try to turn them into apples,
I hate to say it but I think last season may have been a fluke- he doesn't seem to respond well to a big crowd.
Rodrigo needs to be given a chance as its clear that the whole team looks unbalanced whenever he plays in Midfield and we don't have the luxury of carrying passengers.
Don't understand why MB insists on playing players out of position- when I want apples I buy apples, I don't buy oranges and try to turn them into apples,
- BobHirst
- Manager

- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:20 pm
- Location: Texas
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
I know some people on here don't rate Kane but I regard him as one of the top players in the Premier League.
You can't argue with the goals and assists that he provides for his team (teams if you include England). He has been doing it for a few years now. Plus I believe that he works a lot harder than a lot of people give him credit for.
Any way what I'm trying to say is that if I had Kane in my team he would and should play most of the time too. Bamford has done really well for us but he is not in the same class as Kane is. Play him for an hour and if things are not working out then give Rodrigo 30 minutes up front.
If this happened maybe Rodrigo would score a few goals and he would be the one playing for the first 60 minutes with Bamford coming off the bench.
At least try it Marcelo.
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155140
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
Rodrigo's best this season for Leeds last night imo!
- Finnatic
- Superstar

- Posts: 6704
- Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155140
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78989
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
MOTM for me, outstanding first half... I even liked the missed side foot, it was an intelligent attempt
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Cjay
- Superstar

- Posts: 41695
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
Simple question.
Why?
Why was a player who from his own admission favours playing in a role we don't use signed?
You can't criticise us as fans for getting excited by us signing a Spanish international.
But the club has people employed to find the best players, the best tactical fit.
How did Rodrigo become that man when all logic and analysis showed he wasn't the type of player we needed?
He has talent so will have decent times but for a record signing he has been a flop.
He doesn't fit the style, he doesn't fit the tactics, he doesn't have a natural role.
Why?
Why was a player who from his own admission favours playing in a role we don't use signed?
You can't criticise us as fans for getting excited by us signing a Spanish international.
But the club has people employed to find the best players, the best tactical fit.
How did Rodrigo become that man when all logic and analysis showed he wasn't the type of player we needed?
He has talent so will have decent times but for a record signing he has been a flop.
He doesn't fit the style, he doesn't fit the tactics, he doesn't have a natural role.
Signed
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
King Cjay
Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
- Byebyegeegee
- First Team

- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:14 pm
- Location: God’s own county (north)
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
I totally agree Cjay, why did our scouts/Orta think Rodrigo was worth investing £30m in.
I had no particular knowledge of this player before we bought him but thought that at that kind of money and having played for Spain he should be a good buy, although at 30 years old my enthusiasm was slightly tempered.
After seeing him play 4 or 5 times I had my suspicions that he wasn’t going to be good enough, he looked slow as if running in mud, was seldom in the right position, often lost the ball from a pass because his control was poor and then seemed reluctant to track back to try and recover it. I thought it may be because he was new to the club and that in time he would improve and prove his worth.
After a season and a bit I am now convinced that he is proving to be a disastrous waste of money. I can’t believe that people who are paid very handsomely for their football knowledge can get it so wrong.
Orta may have struck lucky with Raphinha but I can’t help thinking that Rodrigo is a huge mistake.
I had no particular knowledge of this player before we bought him but thought that at that kind of money and having played for Spain he should be a good buy, although at 30 years old my enthusiasm was slightly tempered.
After seeing him play 4 or 5 times I had my suspicions that he wasn’t going to be good enough, he looked slow as if running in mud, was seldom in the right position, often lost the ball from a pass because his control was poor and then seemed reluctant to track back to try and recover it. I thought it may be because he was new to the club and that in time he would improve and prove his worth.
After a season and a bit I am now convinced that he is proving to be a disastrous waste of money. I can’t believe that people who are paid very handsomely for their football knowledge can get it so wrong.
Orta may have struck lucky with Raphinha but I can’t help thinking that Rodrigo is a huge mistake.
- Johnboy1965
- Subs Bench

- Posts: 812
- Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:53 am
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
Totally agree with all of the above.
Not his fault he's just not the right fit.
BTW if Bamford played as poorly as Rodrigo has since he has been starting he would be getting pelters on here.
Time to bite the bullet and get rid.
Almost as big a flop as Thomas Brolin!
Not his fault he's just not the right fit.
BTW if Bamford played as poorly as Rodrigo has since he has been starting he would be getting pelters on here.
Time to bite the bullet and get rid.
Almost as big a flop as Thomas Brolin!
-
Mick Jones shoulder
- Manager

- Posts: 2911
- Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
Said on a previous match thread devoid of confidence, stamina and everything thing else associated with being a footballer. We've destroyed an international footballer to be honest, may as well have stuck him in goal.
- mentalcase
- MOT Legend

- Posts: 10414
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm
Re: Rodrigo Moreno
Time to say adios, he aint gonna cut it I'm afraid, done nowt as CF and certainly won't cut it as a midfielder, even if he did, he wouldn't dispose tyler .
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
Moreno, Rodrigo